Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench Hd Connection Through Pods

I am waiting patiently for Pod support for WB.  I will pull the trigger on a 500X as soon as I can use it to connect to WB.  Since this is the newest Pod and it supports the JTV in many ways I would expect that Line6 would put some effort into getting drivers out that support this.  It can't be that hard to do if the JTV USB interface is already doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

no idea why its taking so long....

but the pod connectivity is not considered a bug... a limitation... but not a bug.

i have asked, but have no information to offer.

Why line 6 is taking so long to fix all the bugs? strat (2and 4) and WB using the pod

• 2 weeks later...

So much for Santa.  With my luck the the new execs from Yamaha will come in and sack the poor lonely little code monkey that's been working day and night to get us back the functionality that we lost with the 2.0 "Upgrade". :(

But maybe Yamaha will add development resources to help with this, and maybe not release half baked upgrades before completion in the future.

I love my JTV and my HD500 but I can't help but feel a bit uneasy in depending on this technology long term the way it is being managed by the manufacturer. Especially when I've spent enough money on Line6 gear to have easily bought a killer conventional rig that would work as it is supposed to, even though on a smaller and simpler scale. For me one of the major selling points of the Variax/Pod arrangement is the ability to sit at your PC/MAC with HD Edit Open Next to Workbench so you get a real time sonic representation of the changes you make in Workbench, through the exact amp model you're going to be playing it through, while staying in the digital realm, and without having to unplug, plug, tweak, unplug, plug, test drive, unplug, plug, tweak, unplug, plug, test drive, etc., etc., etc.. I don't care if you could eventually dial in the tone of the gods, who the hell could get motivated to go through that crap.

I understand that this isn't a bug, but a limitation. I don't understand why it is taking soooo loooong to get functionality back that we always had before, all the way back to my first Variax700 and Pod XTL.  This always worked before!  It is obvious that Line6 knew what paths needed to be traveled.  After 4+ months since 2.0 was released, I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't develop them selves into a corner, and maybe the current hardware leaves them no workaround. If this isn't the case, why are we still stuck?

Just Sayin'!

Since Workbench talks fine to the JTV with the USB dongle it should be able to talk through the Pod USB so the hardware connections are there.  I am surprised that we are still waiting for this because it should not be that big an issue.  The old workbench worked through pods so they know how to do it.  It may be a project priority issue but that is just speculation on my part.

If Line 6 only considers this a limitation then that indicates to me there is a chance it won't happen.  If they have decided that HD Workbench connectivity will not happen then let me know.  If they're still working on it, great.  But if they've stopped and won't be implementing it, it would at least be courteous to let me know so.

• 4 weeks later...

So glad to see that Line6 can get the development finished up on their new AMPLIFi, and redo their website, while we're still waiting for a WorkbenchHD connection through our HD500s. I guess hooking new customers is more important than maintaining relationships with the old customers.

If you potential AMPLIFi customers are wondering when the Android app will be available, and you hear that it will happen "eventually" or even "soon", please don't hold your breath!

<_<

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Going on 8 months now. Beginning to doubt it will ever happen at this point.

Line 6 is probably ready to unveil their replacement for the HD Line and leave us behind.

It's a damn shame that those of us that paid our hard earned money for the HD500/JTV combination are still hung out to dry on this.

If they weren't going to either put enough emphasis on getting this right, or if the hardware wouldn't allow it to be corrected, they should have stated that from the very beginning at the release of the 2.0 JTV firmware, and Workbench HD.

I know I wouldn't jerk my customers around like this, nor would I expect to keep them if I did.

• Upvote 3

totally agree with you...

i'm definitley not gonna buy any more line6 gear in the near future nor will i recommend it to others...

it's like microsoft would release a SP for windows 7/8 with all new enhancements after which you have to connect your printer through an XP emulation to continue printing... it's not like you can't print anymore but you have to technologically go back to do it...

i specifically bought the hd500 because of this feature so i would not have a bunch of wires laying all over the place...

and since they put the hd500x out you can't even sell the hd500 at a reasonable price anymore...

Yeah, I've lost faith in Line 6 to the point that I've been looking at tube amps.  If I sold my JTV and HD500 I could probably afford a nice Fender, Egnater, Jet City or the like, and enough pedals to get what sounds I can't already get with my Roland GR55.

The Line 6 stuff served me well when I was in a Pop Cover type situation, but I'm playing mainly blues and blues based rock now, and if they're not going to back up what they've sold any better than this, to be honest, the novelty is wearing thin.

Like with the new AMPLIFi thingy.  Okay, it might be cool, but why the hell would you realease it when probably 1/3 or more of your current market are on Android. I don't like Apple iPhones or iPads. It is kind of the same thing as what we're dealing with. They're dropping something half baked on the market and leaving a percentage of what was their return customer base out in the cold. They have good guitar tone, but it's not so much better than their competition that they can ignore (and tick off) their long time customers. They have some serious work to do before I'll be recommending them as a company again, as I used to in the past.

Hell if they released a patch to correct the Workbench HD through the HD500 problem tomorrow, I would be appeased, but I wouldn't be pleased. They wouldn't deserve a "Thank You" but more like "About Freaking Time!". But then I'm probably being naive in thinking they might care what we think.

• Upvote 3

I am a brand new owner of a JTV-59 and was VERY surprised once I updated the firmware and got Work Bench HD that I couldn't use my PoD HD500 to manage the USB connectivity to the guitar.  If the old Workbench wasn't so Kludgey I would go back.   Actually, may do that eventually anyway.   Though, the HD software interface is so much better and more intuitive.  

Seems silly to have to create guitar presets with the USB box, create tone presets with the PoD and then connect the guitar to the Pod to make sure presets are set with the HD500 and the Variax.

Sorry, all the arguing if it is a bug or not is silly as well.   IMO this IS a bug.  You shouldn't have an upgrade and actually regress in some areas.   This would be like taking my car in and get the computer re-programmed to change the shift points for more power and adjust the O2 mixture to help fuel economy at the same time.  Awesome!.   However, my bluetooth audio streaming which has worked since I bought the car doesn't work all of a sudden.   If you want to do that, you have to connect your phone via a 1/8th jack now.   But hey your car is peppier now, sorry about having to deal with another cable again.

Can't believe it has been this long and still no resolution to this.   Glad I haven't had the guitar for as long a some of y'all would definitely be more upset.

Certainly, disappointed to hear about this.  Doesn't make sense to me.  This should have been a requirement of the app and firmware from the first day of development.

Love the guitar so far, love my PoD, hope to add a L2T or a DT25 to my setup eventually.    However, this makes zero sense.

The Workbench HD Manual States :

Which Line 6 devices will work as a computer interface with my Tyler Variax and Workbench HD?

The Variax Digital Interface that came with your Tyler Variax is the best interface to use with Workbench
HD. You’ll need a fully charged battery and a 1/4 inch guitar cable plugged in to power up your Variax.

Any other Line 6 device with a VDI input will also work. This includes the POD HD Pro, POD HD 500, POD
X3 Live, POD X3 Pro and Vetta II
. Those devices, when connected to your Variax with a Line 6 VDI cable, will
also provide power to your Variax.

Sounds like a oversight bug.

• Upvote 4

it's obviously a bug since they stated in the description for the latest firmware release (2.20.00)

Known Issues

• Variax Workbench HD will not connect via POD HD - use the VDI/USB interface included with your JTV as a workaround

i was going for limitation before but the word "workaround" clearly indicates a bug...

• Upvote 1

I posted a support ticket asking about JTV -> HD500 -> WB HD .  NOT HAPPY WITH L6's reply !

Q ~ Please tell me when/if there are plans to enable the JTV to HD 500 to HD workbench connection without using the USB interface ? ALL JTV / HD 500 users would like to have the ability to do this again.

A ~ Hi,

I am not aware of any plans in the near future for this to be possible. But, you can post your ideas here;

http://line6.ideascale.com/

Thanks for your input
Will - Line 6 Support

they wouldn't provide those details to support... and they don't comment on stuff they are working on...

not the answer you wanted yes....

the final answer.. no.

simply put they aren't going to let you know anything until it's ready. the support guy merely danced around this fact.

I hope you are right, but there's no way I'm trusting them.

By the way the answer was stated, there was very little ambiguity.

In stead of dancing around it, more like dancing on its grave.

I expect we're getting hosed. Probably the best route is to roll back to 1.9, use what always worked before, and think before giving Line6 any more of our hard earned money.

• Upvote 1

I hope you are right, but there's no way I'm trusting them.

By the way the answer was stated, there was very little ambiguity.

In stead of dancing around it, more like dancing on its grave.

I expect we're getting hosed. Probably the best route is to roll back to 1.9, use what always worked before, and think before giving Line6 any more of our hard earned money.

I'd say the guys answering the support tickets are probably not in the loop as far as what is planned for the product lines. Their job is pretty specific - help people get their problems solved whether that be in the way of warranty repair, replacement, or whatever.

The support guy's statement was very clear and accurate: he is not aware. That's all. And that's very consistent with Line 6 policy, even internally. I wouldn't put any additional import into his response; he simply would not know if this fix were being released tomorrow. (That's not to say it will be....).

• Downvote 1

They only removed it if you want WorkbenchHD which is completely New.  You sunk $1500 before you had any idea they would come out with an improved WB.  2.0 and new WB are a bonus to anyone that previously had a JTV.  Yes they lack a feature that we all want but they are still a Free bonus.

• Upvote 1

to summarize this:

jtv -> USB interface -> old WB => worked

jtv -> HD500 -> old WB => worked

jtv -> same USB interface -> new WB => works!

jtv -> same HD500 -> new WB => does not work!

and just in time as the HD500X is released... that can't be a coincidence! it's not a bug nor a limitation nor whatever, they cut the HD500 from the connection on purpose!

Line 6 REMOVED a feature AFTER we made our decision to sink $1500 into one of their products. Not exactly great business tactics. Are the 2.0 models supposed to be the carrot ?  

LOL

this seems about right to me... they want us to trash the HD500 and buy a HD500X...

i bet they will never make this available again or maybe only after they sold a certain amount of HD500X'...
very sad and shamefull...

and just in time as the HD500X is released... that can't be a coincidence! it's not a bug nor a limitation nor whatever, they cut the HD500 from the connection on purpose!

Your theory would only make sense if Workbench HD worked on the HD500X and not the HD500. It doesn't work with either of them.

• Upvote 2

The support guy's statement was very clear and accurate: he is not aware. That's all. And that's very consistent with Line 6 policy, even internally. I wouldn't put any additional import into his response; he simply would not know if this fix were being released tomorrow. (That's not to say it will be....).

The support guy's use of the term "in the near future" when referring to "plans", if "clear and accurate", implies that he knows of the issue and the importance (or lack there of) that Line6 is putting toward this. I'll admit that he may have misspoken, and I may be reading too much into it, but when it comes to this issue its not like it is a knee jerk reaction.

If it is Line6 policy to keep us in the dark as to their intentions, A - We as long time customers should expect better. and B - We have every right to be reconsidering our relationship with their brand.  It is not like we're asking for corporate information about the R & D for their new line of widgets. We are simply expecting the equipment that we invested in to work in the same way that was marketed to us prior to purchasing it. This is especially true since our investment in the combination of the HD500 and the JTV was more benefit to Line6 than for those who are using their JTV through non Line6 amplification.

The 2.0 upgrade is all berries for those who spent less, but a mixed blessing to those of us who spent more. So we can either have the new and improved models, and deal with playing cable ping pong to test what we've done in Workbench HD, or we can do without the improved Les Paul sounds that are all happy time for those without a VDI connection.

I appreciate the attempts of the Line6 apologists, but 8 months of waiting for a fix for something that Line6 themselves states that there is a "workaround" for is unacceptable.  Its past time for Line6 to step up and fix it, or take responsibility for their screw up, and tell the people that gave them money what the f__k to expect.

This isn't a R & D issue, this is a customer service issue.  Who else in the business world can ignore and refuse to comment on customer service issues?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Ok, you be mad.

I'm not apologizing for anything... 

and you can do what you want or hold a grudge and be a miserable person in general...

but it works.... if you don't like how it works... flash back and be happy...

or you just have to wait until its ready.

The support guy's use of the term "in the near future" when referring to "plans", if "clear and accurate", implies that he knows of the issue and the importance (or lack there of) that Line6 is putting toward this. I'll admit that he may have misspoken, and I may be reading too much into it, but when it comes to this issue its not like it is a knee jerk reaction.

If it is Line6 policy to keep us in the dark as to their intentions, A - We as long time customers should expect better. and B - We have every right to be reconsidering our relationship with their brand.  It is not like we're asking for corporate information about the R & D for their new line of widgets. We are simply expecting the equipment that we invested in to work in the same way that was marketed to us prior to purchasing it. This is especially true since our investment in the combination of the HD500 and the JTV was more benefit to Line6 than for those who are using their JTV through non Line6 amplification.

The 2.0 upgrade is all berries for those who spent less, but a mixed blessing to those of us who spent more. So we can either have the new and improved models, and deal with playing cable ping pong to test what we've done in Workbench HD, or we can do without the improved Les Paul sounds that are all happy time for those without a VDI connection.

I appreciate the attempts of the Line6 apologists, but 8 months of waiting for a fix for something that Line6 themselves states that there is a "workaround" for is unacceptable.  Its past time for Line6 to step up and fix it, or take responsibility for their screw up, and tell the people that gave them money what the f__k to expect.

This isn't a R & D issue, this is a customer service issue.  Who else in the business world can ignore and refuse to comment on customer service issues?

• Downvote 1

Good post Flab.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal using the USB box if that's the way it's gotta be. But I will say it's a pain in the &$$. 

• Upvote 2

I'm also very annoyed and disappointed that this doesn't work.

There's probably a technical explanation for this. Pulling something out of thin air (or out of my fat... head), maybe it's a communications issue, where:

- the data isn't sent over USB through the HD in exactly the same way, or with the same timing, as over the Workbench unit

- the old version of WB + old JTV firmware used a communication protocol that could cope with the difference, but...

- the new version of the WB software + new JTV firmware depends on some new implementation of the protocol...

- which doesn't function properly through the HD as opposed to the USB Workbench unit

I work in tech support and this is the kind of crap that happens all the time. One team makes a tiny mistake on a spec that gets passed to another team, or makes some kind of wrong assumption, and hilarity ensues.

It's probably not exactly what I outlined above, but I think I'm in the ballpark. You'd be amazed what a miracle it is that any software and hardware of any kind even works at all, sometimes...

But, nevertheless, as I mentioned above I'm also very annoyed and disappointed that this doesn't work.

• Upvote 2