Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume goes to zero when going clean

jpdennis

Odd reoccurring problem.  I'll be playing along with this one preset I developed.  Everything is fine then I switch to solo boost with amazing tone.  Tap foot-switch to go back and zero sound. 

The Helix is the floor model, I have the latest App & F/W, and every other preset is not showing any signs of problematic behavior,  As a test I copied it to another preset location in the same setlist but several areas above.  Worked a few times then back to zero volume.  I don't save and tap another preset then it works fine. 

Also, this preset is extremely DSP loaded.  So, I am not sure if I have hit some alien DSP zone where I actually got the system to let me go to max DSP +1n and it realizes I tricked it into being overloaded at some point or if there is some real issue.

Anyone here experience anything close to similar?

Thanks

Dennis

Yep, similar issue. It happens for me when I've assigned two parameters on an amp to a footswitch, gain and volume in my case. By pressing the foot switch it raises the gain, and backs the volume off a touch, and occasionally going from the higher gain back to the lower gain, the volume reverts to zero. By going to another patch and back again it sorts itself out. and it doesn't happen frequently, which is odd?

I had another interesting thing happen yesterday.  I used one of the patches experiencing this behavior.  I just went to a different preset then back.  Only this time the one giving me the issue saved itself.  Strange.

Dennis

You've probably already looked at this, but there are actually 3 states in play when a controller is assigned, the initial values, then the min and max values from the controller. The behavior you describe would happen if Drive (say) was initially set to 5, and the controlling footswitch moved it up to 10 when pressed (max value), then down to 0 (min value) when pressed again.

You've probably already looked at this, but there are actually 3 states in play when a controller is assigned, the initial values, then the min and max values from the controller. The behavior you describe would happen if Drive (say) was initially set to 5, and the controlling footswitch moved it up to 10 when pressed (max value), then down to 0 (min value) when pressed again.

Zooey,  Thanks.  I checked all the settings and then some.  Same when first configured.  Other patches with less DSP seem to be OK.  Line 6 has sent the uploaded files and the notes to QA.  They are looking into this behavior.  All I can do now is await the findings.

Dennis

Something similar has hapenned to me since last update. After press a switch that change several parameters in an amp (drive+volume), the drive change to max=10 and min=0 itself :-(   I have not be able to recreate this behaviour to report it.

I have a patch in which a switch is assigned to amp drive. Something like min value = 3.5 max value = 5.5. I have had a few instances of it dropping to 0 when I press the switch which essentially reduced the volume to nothing. Maybe 1 out of 100 times? Very light DSP patch too so that's not an issue. I dropped out of an AC/DC song right as I went to begin a solo during a gig. That wasn't my favorite. 

I have a patch in which a switch is assigned to amp drive. Something like min value = 3.5 max value = 5.5. I have had a few instances of it dropping to 0 when I press the switch which essentially reduced the volume to nothing. Maybe 1 out of 100 times? Very light DSP patch too so that's not an issue. I dropped out of an AC/DC song right as I went to begin a solo during a gig. That wasn't my favorite. 

Sounds like the same issue.  Mine can be repeated once I discovered the patch I used right before I used the other patch when this happened. Once the two patches were identified I was able to repeat the issue 100% of the time.  Learned not to use the patch that triggered this issue for awhile.  I did upload both to support with my ticket.  Of course I have since discovered a few other patches that trigger this with the offending patch.  However, since I only recently sent in the ticket I am sure it may take a few or two for QA to get to it with the other work I am sure they already have on their fast filling plate.

Dennis

[uPDATE]

This is a known bug.  It was said that making sure you wait for a few moments after closing the Helix Editor Application before unplugging the USB cable will solve it until the fix is perfected in the next F/W update.  What I do is only use the editor to backup and copy presets to further expand on.  All my work is on the Helix itself and very low chair with a very short strap on my instrument :lol:

However, I have found that if I use the FS10+FS11 when powering up "rebuild existing presets" feature it works fine until I modify, change, add, or remove any blocks or presets.  I've shared my findings with CS and my findings have been constantly forwarded to QA over the past several days.  Line 6 Support is very aware and very detailed so I try to be the same.  I commend them for working with me as well as the other issues they are currently working on.

I prefer to proceed with systematic fact finding so I can be something of an extension of support since at the end of the day that would be a great way to live in a great world.  I also like the fact no one in this thread has "flamed on". :ph34r:

I strongly recommend using the support ticket link as well as the Bug Report thread in this forum.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. That would make sense for how I experience the problem. I only seem to get it when connected to the Mac. Using it standalone I haven't experienced the problem. Maybe something just built into my normal workflow helped me to inadvertently partially avoid the affect? Thanks for the update...

[LAST UPDATE]

It is confirmed the next F/W release will address this bug.  It is bundled into the "do not unplug the USB cable from the computer or Helix after you close out the editor" issue only with a few more variants.

Dennis