Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression pedal 1 toe switch

JLondon

Does anyone know how to, or if you can, make the toe switch of expression pedal 1 stop disabling expression pedals 2 & 3?  You can see it happening on the screen.  When I activate the toe switch, the light goes out & bypasses the volume pedal I have on expression 2.  Does same thing if I put volume on exp 3.  I've looked into the global settings to the best of my ability and can't find a fix.   

Do you have the Pedal 1 toe switch assigned as the on/off controller for whatever FX you are controlling with pedals 2 and 3? If so, change the toe switch assignment to a footswitch.

Thanks for your reply.  I've addressed this issue on the forum before.  I just re-worded it, (I thought) in a more direct and understandable way in hopes of bettering my chances of getting a more direct answer.  I'm using the toe switch/pedal 1 for a wah.  The toe switch does act as though it is, in fact, "assigned as the on/off controller" for pedals 2 & 3.  That's precisely my dilemma.  I can't find anywhere or anyway to "unassign" it.  And I don't want to assign the wah on/off to footswitch 1-10.  I want pedal 1 to act like a normal wah without having to move my foot to yet another switch first.  I've already been made aware of other options in a previous post.  But no one has explained how to make happen what I want - which is not only reasonable - but I would think is a no-brainer for the Helix.  There has to be a way to unassign/separate the on/off pedal 1 toe switch from the pedals 2 & 3.  Can't figure out why that would be a default in the first place - let alone un-fixable.  Is there, or is there not, a way to do this.  And if so, where do I begin?  I know how to unassign all my other switches and change them around.  Just can't figure this one out.

Thanks for your reply. I've addressed this issue on the forum before. I just re-worded it, (I thought) in a more direct and understandable way in hopes of bettering my chances of getting a more direct answer. I'm using the toe switch/pedal 1 for a wah. The toe switch does act as though it is, in fact, "assigned as the on/off controller" for pedals 2 & 3. That's precisely my dilemma. I can't find anywhere or anyway to "unassign" it. And I don't want to assign the wah on/off to footswitch 1-10. I want pedal 1 to act like a normal wah without having to move my foot to yet another switch first. I've already been made aware of other options in a previous post. But no one has explained how to make happen what I want - which is not only reasonable - but I would think is a no-brainer for the Helix. There has to be a way to unassign/separate the on/off pedal 1 toe switch from the pedals 2 & 3. Can't figure out why that would be a default in the first place - let alone un-fixable. Is there, or is there not, a way to do this. And if so, where do I begin? I know how to unassign all my other switches and change them around. Just can't figure this one out.

I think I may understand what you are trying to do. I don't know if there is a way to do this globally but you can certainly do it per preset. The trick is, it is a two step process. So, for instance, if you have a wah pedal set up on "EXP 1" on the toe switch for the Helix's internal expression pedal (the default) and you want to lets say assign an external pedal to control the volume block from the EXP3 jack you need to execute the following steps.

• Make sure your external pedal is plugged into the "EXP3" input on the back of the Helix.
  • First select the volume block, and go to the "Footswitch Assign" screen. It will have "Exp Toe" set as the default. Set this to "None".
  • Make sure the volume block is still selected and now go to the "Controller Assign" screen, set the "Parameter" knob to "Position" and set the "Controller" knob to "EXP 3". Make sure the volume block is not bypassed. Save the preset. You are done!

Now when you press the footswitch on the Helix built-in expression pedal it will turn the wah on and off but will not effect the volume block (which you have assigned to your external pedal on "EXP 3"). Your external pedal on "EXP 3" should now be controlling the volume. This process should work for any block/parameter you want to assign to your external pedal (although if your external pedal is controlling a block other than the volume you may not need to execute step #2).

Ultimately you have to both unassign the volume block in the "Footswitch Assign" screen, and then assign the "Position" parameter to the "EXP 3" input in the "Controller Assign" screen. Basically the same instructions apply if you have your external expression plugged into the "EXP2" input on the back of the Helix.

Thank you so much "Gear Head".  Problem solved!  Yey!  Spent hours toiling over this and not once did I think to approach it from the volume pedal direction rather than from the wah side.  Step 2 of your instructions took care of  it.  I knew it had to be possible.  So simple.  I have the urge to go bang my head against the wall, but I'll choose to just be thankful for your assistance instead.  THANKS!