Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

SHIMMER CHAIN

migueledge

I will say this. There's some great U2 tones up on the CUSTOMTONE repository, including some with shimmer elements. Might be worth grabbing a few and either

a) taking them apart to work out how to build one to your liking

b) being super lucky and finding one that does the trick so going back to the fun part involving strings etc

:)

Great point PeterHamm - I'm using the H9 with 4 cables through 2 full loops. Piece of cake. It also frees up processor space to allow the Helix to leverage IRs, etc.

If anyone nails down a good shimmer please share!

I need to figure out how to do the shimmer effect on the Helix as well - our engineer on the last record we did threw it into a tune and it sounds great.

I have an H9 as well, but I got the Helix to save time and to lighten my load for gigs and rehearsals - so if anyone has any sample patches I'd love to try them out!

Thanks!

'If the solution is to buy an h9 i prefer to sold the helix and buy an axe fx2 or ax8.'

I don't think anyone was saying that's the only solution if you want shimmer, moreso if you have a third party unit that excels in it already just add it into an external loop chain (H9, Pog, Strymon....a lot of folks on here kept something of that variety around even when the Helix landed), save the processing on the Helix and ultimately it's all about tone. As I said I grabbed some U2 tones off the web and the shimmer that was built in some of those is well fit for purpose and might more than suffice for most. 

Shimmer is a multidelay with pitchshifter for differents times. And easy shimmer is 100ms +1octave 200ms +2octaves, then you can add a filter and a reverb.

Helix hasn´t any delay with this options. That´s is it the problem. Octoverb could work fine but is not the same, is similar.

Other example:

Heard at 1:15 and better at 5:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b29dYAW_-c

I found another way to do this at low cost.  I used Cantabile Lite (free) which is a great VST host with low latency and very light CPU load connected by USB (Win10).  Then load Valhalla Shimmer VST ($50, link below).  There are lots of ways to configure it but if you send it on USB 3/4 on a separate path you can also keep your regular tone for further processing in Helix and just blend it all at the merge before final outs to the speakers.  I can see a lot of applications for Cantabile in a live situation too.  Just an idea...

Cantabile - https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/

Valhalla Shimmer - https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-shimmer/

(Can probably use Mainstage on a Mac)

These sound like a combination of delay, modulation and reverb. I remember a patch on either a Roland or ensoniq multifx unit I had back in the 90s, called something like instant movie score, that sounded like that. You just have to mess around until you get the exact thing you want. I would suggest moving the looper to the front of the path and playing an Edge part, then just tweak until you get it. Long tails and lots of repeats and cascading should get you there.

The target of this tópic is make it with helix

Wow, this purely factual comment got voted down!? What-Eva. (Voted back up for ya Miguel!)

Anyhoo, hopefully next weekend I get some time to clone what my H9 shimmer does on the Helix... It's totally possible to at least get in the ballpark, it just takes know how and time.

I uploaded a shimmer preset in CustomTone today.  Just search my user name.

OT:  I keep trying to post CustomTone links here, buy can't get it to work.  If someone can point me to a help section for this forum or another source of forum help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jim

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your replys,

here's my shot at creating it in Helix.  Check it out and adjust as necessary.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2139281/

Your preset is great, i´m working in my own preset in a few days i think that i upload it in custom tone. It´s difficult to get that shimmer tone for me. I think that rotary could be the key. By other way the pitch and chorus i think that don´t add much, if you mix with octo at 90% it dessapear.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Advanced Shimmer trick:  patch cable in helix fx loop.

I was working on this the other day and read that the u2 shimmer chain was a parallel path with a pitch shifter and modulated delay that fed back into itself with an external mixer.  this is totally possible in helix with a patch cable in one of the effects loops.  just put the send block for that loop at the end of the path with the pitch block and delay block,  and put the return block at the beginning of that same path.  make sure to allow the original signal through at both points and reduce the amount of send (or return...I did both) or you will get horrible squealing feedback. I read that this was a problem for u2 as well.  once all levels are adjusted to just below feedback there is a very nice clear shimmer. I started with the same delay times and pitch settings as one of the other shimmer patches I found on customtone. I just changed the reverb to a nice deep hall (instead of octoverb) for a smoothing effect.    works pretty well!  just make sure to LOWER THE SEND BEFORE PUTTING IN THE PATCH CABLE!!!!!!!  in order to avoid the squeal!!!!   you can control the level of the shimmer effect at the send blocks dry thru.

you can control the overall tone of the shimmer with an eq...roll off bass if too boomy or treble if too ringy. rock on!!!

parallel path like so... -------{amp/cab}--->---------------{any fx blocks for main tone}----------------->------------->

\                                                                                   /

\-->--{return}---{pitch}---{delay}---{verb}---{send}-->--/

I think now in 2016, though, that Edge uses a POG2 and some other stuff for shimmer more than the feedback loop harmonizer thing which was how he first created it in the 80s.

Seriously, that POG2 for shimmer along with an Octo and Shimmer can create an amazing sound.

Obviously, for those who must have exactly the same sound/signal chain, maybe it's different, but it works amazingly well for me.

There are lots of ways to achieve some good ambient tones. I really like the presets I found on customtone with the octoverb too!   I was just amazed that I could reproduce the feedback loop with a patch cable and thought I would share it. I am also hoping someone will discover new interesting ways to use that technique. the possibilities are endless! helix rocks!!

ps. thanks for the pog2 tip.  if only I had one... :(

Advanced Shimmer trick:  patch cable in helix fx loop.

I was working on this the other day and read that the u2 shimmer chain was a parallel path with a pitch shifter and modulated delay that fed back into itself with an external mixer.  this is totally possible in helix with a patch cable in one of the effects loops.  just put the send block for that loop at the end of the path with the pitch block and delay block,  and put the return block at the beginning of that same path.  make sure to allow the original signal through at both points and reduce the amount of send (or return...I did both) or you will get horrible squealing feedback. I read that this was a problem for u2 as well.  once all levels are adjusted to just below feedback there is a very nice clear shimmer. I started with the same delay times and pitch settings as one of the other shimmer patches I found on customtone. I just changed the reverb to a nice deep hall (instead of octoverb) for a smoothing effect.    works pretty well!  just make sure to LOWER THE SEND BEFORE PUTTING IN THE PATCH CABLE!!!!!!!  in order to avoid the squeal!!!!   you can control the level of the shimmer effect at the send blocks dry thru.

you can control the overall tone of the shimmer with an eq...roll off bass if too boomy or treble if too ringy. rock on!!!

parallel path like so... -------{amp/cab}--->---------------{any fx blocks for main tone}----------------->------------->

\                                                                                   /

\-->--{return}---{pitch}---{delay}---{verb}---{send}-->--/

Very good information thanks!  What a great idea.  I'm sure I have a spare patch cable knocking about!

Back in the old days I had fun making a Feedback loop with the mixer in my cassette portastudio, a rack mount compressor and a reverb unit.. got some crazy sounds.. a bit like an analogue synth!