Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trio + and Helix

klovelock

Looks to me like you would just go 1/4" out from Trio to one of the FX returns on Helix and insert a return block at the end of your patch just prior to the output block.  That's how I run my BeatBuddy except that I use 2 cables since it's stereo.

Just got my Trio+ today and was thinking the same thing... as a quick fix I ended up using two guitars and two signal paths. Not really efficient, but it worked for my needs. I hooked the Drum/Bass Mixer OUT to my PA mixer, had the guitar OUT going to the Guitar INPUT on the Helix, and ran this into path ONE.... Output to the LEFT XLR set to L/R on the mixer. Then ran my L6 JTV Variax input to the 2nd Path as the input and had another amp/effects set up, set out to the RIGHT output, again, L/R on the mixer. So the loops were clean and going into the top (path 1) and then I could solo or noodle over the top using my Variax through the bottom path (path 2).

Like I said, not really elegant. But it got me started to see that this device with the Helix is a really fun set up. 

I'm def going to check out the links above - thanks for sharing!

Cam

I also got a Trio+ from my wife and I spent the past couple of days trying to figure out how best hook it up to Helix.

Due to the way Trio+ routes guitar internally and how it forces you to use TWO outputs if you do not want to apply cabinet emulation to the drums (which would make them sound awful) or to the guitar (which would force you to disable cabs in Helix), I could not figure out a way do this without sacrificing TWO effect loops (good news is... we still have two effect loops left). I have uploaded a patch to custom tone that shows you how I got mine setup (link at the bottom of this post).

Basically, the Trio+ requires the clean guitar signal to "learn" each song part and it has an "effects loop" where you put your effects (I basically put virtually the entire Helix patch in the Trio+ effects loop). Then I get the Trio+ "amp out" (guitar + looper, no cab emulation) and feed it back to the Helix and sum it to the Trio+ "mixer out" (bass + drums).

Why did I waste 2 FX loops on the Helix when I could've done it all in one, you say? Well, I could've plugged the guitar straight into the Trio+ and saved me an FX loop, but I have a Variax and wanted to use all of its features and control it via Helix *and* wanted the Helix's expression pedal to control volume for both the Trio+ and the Helix... hence my convoluted routing. Finally, the Trio+ is mono unless using the headphones out, so the patch will also be mono. There is no way around this unless the Trio+ is fed out of the headphones jack straight into the mixer separately from the Helix.

So cabling as follows:

Helix               Trio+

Send1    ---}   Guitar In

Return1  {---   AMP Out

Send2    ---}   FX Return

Return2 {---    Mixer Out

Patch can be found in CustomTone:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2152016/

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

it's quite a pain that the trio applies cab sim and it cant be turned off. (only if you come out both outputs is it bypassed) i hadn't thought of using 2 return slots to go into helix, that is a good idea as the 2 sides can be mixed internally then sent to a single monitor if need be.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to control the Trio+ using the amp out or CV out (tried both) and coming up with nothing.

I'm guessing what is needed is a non-latching version of the amp-out settings for this to work, so that the Helix can act as an FS3X footswitch.

If anybody has had any luck with this setup or controlling any other pedals (strymon etc) using the Helix, please let me know – any advice appreciated!

Cheers,

Bede

Bede,

The Helix only supports latching outputs in the AMP control out. The Trio+ *needs* momentary outputs. To control the Trio+, you would need either a MIDI controller, such as the NUX PMS-2 or some circuit that would convert the latching outputs on the Helix to momentary (which would be far more complicated and expensive than the PMS-2). You still have the issue that the FS3X controller converts 3 footswitches to 2 signals (Tip + Ring, with common sleeve). The FS3X achieves this by simulating both footswitches being pressed at the same time via a clever circuit that consists on only two diodes (which you would have to implement separately), otherwise, you would only get access to two out of the three footswitches.

So, in short, it is *possible* but either way it is complicated.

Other products, such as the Beat Buddy can support latching FS, so they could be controlled either via the AMP control out on the Helix or via MIDI (as the Beat Buddy also supports MIDI) without the need for the PMS-2. Alas, the Beat Buddy doesn't have a looper, but the drum kit is IMHO of better quality than the one in the Trio+

https://www.amazon.com/Devices-Presets-Function-Portable-Switcher/dp/B00P3BPI4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466990766&sr=8-1&keywords=NUX+PMS-2

http://nuxefx.com/product_detail.php?id=79&id1=52&id2=0

Thanks @Deadlocked.

That makes sense to me. I did wonder whether Line 6 could offer the momentary switching through firmware but maybe it is not an option.

I think I might just need to find an alternative product. The new Boss RC-202 has midi and is designed for tabletop use, so would be easy to control from the Helix footswitch. It doesn't have the learning/rhythm features though.

Bede

Hey Guys and Gals...

Here's my implementation of the TRIO+ with the HELIX... Lots of wires!!

Since everything is mixed to the XLR outputs, this set-up is mostly for rehearsing/ riff-writing... but, I routed the pre I.R. guitar signal to the 1/4" outputs for stage monitoring of the guitar signal with a tube amp and guitar speakers.

There are [2] full FX loops, used to take the TRIO+ in and out of the HELIX signal chain, and a single FX return for the TRIO+ MIXER output which carries the Bass and Drums.

• The TRIO+ Guitar signal is processed by the HELIX to allow FX/ CAB/ MIC on the recorded/ looped Guitar Signal and returned to the HELIX for output via the balanced XLR outs via FX LOOP 2.
  • When there is a cable plugged into the TRIO+ AMP Jack, the TRIO+ MIXER output carries the Bass & Drums separetely... these are mixed to the balanced XLR outs via FX LOOP 3

trio_helix1.jpg

trio_helix2.jpg

Here's my satellite board for the TRIO+...

1.jpg

This Pedal Board has a Back-To-The-Future theme which includes a custom B-T-T-F decal, mini Flux-Capacitor and integration with the following components...
  • Digitech TRIO+ Band Creator Looper
  • 9VDC Power Supply
  • Custom FS3X Footswitch
  • FX LOOP Break-Out Box
  • Flux Capacitor

more info here...

http://www.stagecue.com/looper.html

Let me know if you have any questions...

seeya

Joe

• Upvote 4

Great write-up, Joe, and diagrams!

I recently got a Trio+ and have been having a blast with it.  It does leave a tiny bit to be desired, IMO, in terms of connectivity.  When I first hooked it up, I just did the usual - guitar -> Trio+ guitar-in / Trio+ amp-out -> Helix guitar-in; and then Trio+ mixer-out to my mixer.  I was feeding my mixer with the Helix 1/4 L/R outs and monitoring through headphones from the mixer.  Sounded decent and was a ton of fun, and didn't require anything special from the Helix - no send/return blocks or anything.

But then I wanted to record something I made with it, and my cheap mixer has a flaw in that the USB out levels seem really low.  Meanwhile, the Helix levels are nice and hot.  So I wanted everything running through the Helix and use it's USB out for recording.

So the only thing I changed was to add a path 2b to the Helix who's input is Return 1.  I then fed the Trio+ mixer-out to Helix-Return1.  And since I had that path available, I added a touch of reverb and, <shudder> chorus to the Trio+ output to fatten it up a bit and thought it sounded really great.  I recorded from that, and, by my standards at least, got a great result.

Here's a photo of my signal chain.  Like before, the Trio+ is in front of the Helix.  That works fine for me because I don't have a Variax that wanted to preserve.  And then the Trio+ mixer-out feeds path 2B.  I'm happy with this for a simple and quick setup.

I'll definitely give your method a try, though.

Thanks for posting that up!

post-2278677-0-10549400-1467652680_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

What is the best way to connect trio +,helix and stagesource l2t?

I'm a bit lost. ...

I think you could set it up like the diagram above by a2dconverterguy.  Just don't create a path 2B and send it all out L6 Link to your L2T.

Hey Guys and Gals...

Since everything is mixed to the XLR outputs, this set-up is mostly for rehearsing/ riff-writing... but, I routed the pre I.R. guitar signal to the 1/4" outputs for stage monitoring of the guitar signal with a tube amp and guitar speakers.

There are [2] full FX loops, used to take the TRIO+ in and out of the HELIX signal chain, and a single FX return for the TRIO+ MIXER output which carries the Bass and Drums.

• The TRIO+ Guitar signal is processed by the HELIX to allow FX/ CAB/ MIC on the recorded/ looped Guitar Signal and returned to the HELIX for output via the balanced XLR outs via FX LOOP 2.
  • When there is a cable plugged into the TRIO+ AMP Jack, the TRIO+ MIXER output carries the Bass & Drums separetely... these are mixed to the balanced XLR outs via FX LOOP 3

trio_helix1.jpg

trio_helix2.jpg

1.jpg

This Pedal Board has a Back-To-The-Future theme which includes a custom B-T-T-F decal, mini Flux-Capacitor and integration with the following components...
  • 9VDC Power Supply
  • Custom FS3X Footswitch
  • FX LOOP Break-Out Box
  • Flux Capacitor

more info here...

seeya

Joe

This worked out to be awesome!!!  It took me a few to set it up and modify a copy of one of my presets.  At first I didn't get any sound, but then I realized I should have only put a Return 3 block in instead of a FX Loop 3.  I've got my own template now based on your example.  Thanks for taking the time to diagram that out.

• 3 months later...

This worked out to be awesome!!!  It took me a few to set it up and modify a copy of one of my presets.  At first I didn't get any sound, but then I realized I should have only put a Return 3 block in instead of a FX Loop 3.  I've got my own template now based on your example.  Thanks for taking the time to diagram that out.

Hey Guys and Gals...

[clipped out the photos to save some screen space]

• 9VDC Power Supply
  • Custom FS3X Footswitch
  • FX LOOP Break-Out Box
  • Flux Capacitor

more info here...

seeya

Joe

This is awesome, thanks! I'm kinda new to all this, so pardon me if my question reveals my ignorance. My mixer has a phantom power button dangerously close to the mixer on/off so I am scared silly to use XLR outs. I output the Helix with 1/4" outs to the Mixer instead. So could I just mix drums and guitar and use those outputs?  I wouldn't mind diving into two output paths, so is there way to connect Helix outputs to the XLR without causing damage to the Helix if I or someone accidentally engages the phantom power? I was reading a thread on that subject but admit I didn't completely understand it.  Maybe some sort of box I can insert between the devices? Thanks!

This is awesome, thanks! I'm kinda new to all this, so pardon me if my question reveals my ignorance. My mixer has a phantom power button dangerously close to the mixer on/off so I am scared silly to use XLR outs. I output the Helix with 1/4" outs to the Mixer instead. So could I just mix drums and guitar and use those outputs?  I wouldn't mind diving into two output paths, so is there way to connect Helix outputs to the XLR without causing damage to the Helix if I or someone accidentally engages the phantom power? I was reading a thread on that subject but admit I didn't completely understand it.  Maybe some sort of box I can insert between the devices? Thanks!

Some folks are using the 1/4" outs into a DI box and then running the DI's XLR out into the mixer.

Some folks are using the 1/4" outs into a DI box and then running the DI's XLR out into the mixer.

Thanks! Is there any benefit to connecting to the mixer via XLR slots rather than through 1/4 inputs? Is it about managing the number of inputs available on the mixing board (or outputs on the helix) or is there other benefit? I was thinking I could also output from the XLR on helix and use cables that are 1/4 on the other end to plug into the line inputs on the mixing board and those wouldn't carry phantom power back to the helix.

Thanks! Is there any benefit to connecting to the mixer via XLR slots rather than through 1/4 inputs? Is it about managing the number of inputs available on the mixing board (or outputs on the helix) or is there other benefit? I was thinking I could also output from the XLR on helix and use cables that are 1/4 on the other end to plug into the line inputs on the mixing board and those wouldn't carry phantom power back to the helix.

XLR is balanced and is better protected against interference so generally has less noise issues for longer cable runs, that is one advantage.

• Upvote 1

Hey Guys and Gals...

trio_helix1.jpg

trio_helix2.jpg

1.jpg

• 9VDC Power Supply
  • Custom FS3X Footswitch
  • FX LOOP Break-Out Box
  • Flux Capacitor

more info here...

seeya

Joe

Could you please let me know what you used to create your diagrams?   I have a Helix, Voicelive 3, GR-55, Beatbuddy and 2 L2Ts and I would like to memorialize and share how I've been able to (I think optimally) connect and route all to use each effectively through Helix including using the Voicelive 3 looper for all with midi sync to Beatbuddy's clock.  That said, if you or someone else has already done this please share.   Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks Joe,

I'm familiar with Visio but was wondering if you used something a little lighter, simplified and specialized for music gear.  No worries.  I'll make do.  Thanks!!!

Aside from the software question - the other one still stands. Anyone else have experience to share with the combo of gear through Helix, Voicelive (for vocals & clocked synced looper), GR-55, Beatbuddy & L2Ts??

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

If I didn't want to change patches to utilise the other fx loops what would be the best way.

I am a complete numb nuts when it comes to cable routing. I have a Helix LT. Can I do it better than this as I have it now.

I have to set my Focusrite Scarlett to mono when using the Trio to get guitar from both speakers, I normally have 1&2 as a stereo pair.

Here is my routing: Guitar straight into Trio+, FX send (Trio+) into guitar in (LT), Left output (LT) into FX in (Trio+), Amp out (Trio+) into channel 1 (Focusrite), Right out (LT) into channel 2 (Focusrite) this allows a stereo signal from the LT when I'm not using the Trio by changing the Scarlet Mix Control to 1+2=Stereo. Finally Mixer out (Trio+) into channel 4 (Focusrite).

I do have a Radial Twin City ABY switch that I was thinking of utilising but my brain has frozen at the moment.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• 3 weeks later...

So cabling as follows:

Return1  {---   AMP Out

@deadlocked I followed this, downloaded and installed the patch and it worked for me, first time.

Thanks for positing this - very clear and highly useful.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/23/2016 at 1:59 AM, deadlocked said:

I also got a Trio+ from my wife and I spent the past couple of days trying to figure out how best hook it up to Helix.

Due to the way Trio+ routes guitar internally and how it forces you to use TWO outputs if you do not want to apply cabinet emulation to the drums (which would make them sound awful) or to the guitar (which would force you to disable cabs in Helix), I could not figure out a way do this without sacrificing TWO effect loops (good news is... we still have two effect loops left). I have uploaded a patch to custom tone that shows you how I got mine setup (link at the bottom of this post).

Basically, the Trio+ requires the clean guitar signal to "learn" each song part and it has an "effects loop" where you put your effects (I basically put virtually the entire Helix patch in the Trio+ effects loop). Then I get the Trio+ "amp out" (guitar + looper, no cab emulation) and feed it back to the Helix and sum it to the Trio+ "mixer out" (bass + drums).

Why did I waste 2 FX loops on the Helix when I could've done it all in one, you say? Well, I could've plugged the guitar straight into the Trio+ and saved me an FX loop, but I have a Variax and wanted to use all of its features and control it via Helix *and* wanted the Helix's expression pedal to control volume for both the Trio+ and the Helix... hence my convoluted routing. Finally, the Trio+ is mono unless using the headphones out, so the patch will also be mono. There is no way around this unless the Trio+ is fed out of the headphones jack straight into the mixer separately from the Helix.

So cabling as follows:

Return1  {---   AMP Out

Hi, Sorry I don't have Facebook account, but was wondering

The settings you have shown here  would this work on Helix LT, and do these settings have any detrimental affect on tone from the Helix LT.

I am home user, and have several presets with IR's and output to studio monitors.  So I guess what I am asking is, would the settings/connections you suggest work OK for a Helix LT in my situation

Many thanks for this post :-)

1 hour ago, Hairgone said:

Hi, Sorry I don't have Facebook account, but was wondering

The settings you have shown here  would this work on Helix LT, and do these settings have any detrimental affect on tone from the Helix LT.

I am home user, and have several presets with IR's and output to studio monitors.  So I guess what I am asking is, would the settings/connections you suggest work OK for a Helix LT in my situation

Many thanks for this post :-)

Hi,

One of the early comments in this thread was a link to Facebook, but you don't need a Facebook account to download the preset in the post you quoted - the link in that post is to the Line 6 Customtone site where registered users can freely share presets.

At first glance, I'm not sure that this will work with your Helix LT as the diagrams seen to to show the patch uses 3 Send/Return blocks and AFAIK the LT only has 2 Send/Return jack sockets. 

You have nothing to lose by downloading the file to see if it will load into your LT using HX Edit - then using the illustrations provided here, maybe you could find a way to modify it for your rig. Also, using Send/Return, or FX Loops are not detrimental to the tone - there would be no point in having them if they were. They are tools to get the job done, routing signals in and out of the chain.

Hope this helps/makes sense

5 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

One of the early comments in this thread was a link to Facebook, but you don't need a Facebook account to download the preset in the post you quoted - the link in that post is to the Line 6 Customtone site where registered users can freely share presets.

At first glance, I'm not sure that this will work with your Helix LT as the diagrams seen to to show the patch uses 3 Send/Return blocks and AFAIK the LT only has 2 Send/Return jack sockets. 

You have nothing to lose by downloading the file to see if it will load into your LT using HX Edit - then using the illustrations provided here, maybe you could find a way to modify it for your rig. Also, using Send/Return, or FX Loops are not detrimental to the tone - there would be no point in having them if they were. They are tools to get the job done, routing signals in and out of the chain.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Thanks for the reply, yeah it does look tricky  and yes lt has just 2 sends and 2 returns.

BUT It appears from the instructions listed that it requires just 2 sends and 2 returns which the helix LT does have.

I'm a bit confused now (easily done)

Thanks for the  info

Hi

One further question please, as I am still trying to figure if the Trio Plus will work with my Helix LT.

So I plan to use this setup for connections as suggested by another user earlier on

So cabling as follows:

Return1  {---   AMP Out

My question is.

When I teach the Band 1st step, is this done on a clean preset which I can get here http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2152016/

Then after the band has learned my chord progression, I then switch to another preset with helix effects such as cabs  amps, dirt, delays of my choice to play over the band?

Ready to pull the trigger on this if my understanding is correct.

Thanks guys

1 hour ago, Hairgone said:

Then after the band has learned my chord progression, I then switch to another preset with helix effects such as cabs  amps, dirt, delays of my choice to play over the band?

Hi again,

If you want to use the Trio in any of your presets, then the same configuration of SEND/RETURN settings will need to be added into each, and every preset you wish to use. It is an integral part of the signal chain for each preset that you want to use with the Trio. It is not a situation where you can set it once, and then use it anywhere.

You also have to remember that using the Trio in this way takes 2 blocks to enable it. Therefore, you may find you need to modify some, or all, of your existing presets if they are already fx heavy and pushing the limit of available blocks and/or DSP. It may require a rethink of some of your presets to have them work with the external unit.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

I have just had another look at the signal flow diagram above, which shows the first Send/Return block is before any guitar amp and effects in the chain. This will feed a clean guitar signal to the Trio+ to enable the learn function, the clean return continues through to your guitar amp and fx. Once learned, you simply use the guitar amp and fx as normal. The last block is the return from the Trio+, which is post all the guitar processing and provides a clean accompaniment. That’s what you are wanting to achieve, but as I have already said, this same configuration needs to be in each and every preset you want to use with the band in a box.

Edited by datacommando
Added info.

On 2/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, datacommando said:

Hi again,

If you want to use the Trio in any of your presets, then the same configuration of SEND/RETURN settings will need to be added into each, and every preset you wish to use. It is an integral part of the signal chain for each preset that you want to use with the Trio. It is not a situation where you can set it once, and then use it anywhere.

You also have to remember that using the Trio in this way takes 2 blocks to enable it. Therefore, you may find you need to modify some, or all, of your existing presets if they are already fx heavy and pushing the limit of available blocks and/or DSP. It may require a rethink of some of your presets to have them work with the external unit.

EDIT:

I have just had another look at the signal flow diagram above, which shows the first Send/Return block is before any guitar amp and effects in the chain. This will feed a clean guitar signal to the Trio+ to enable the learn function, the clean return continues through to your guitar amp and fx. Once learned, you simply use the guitar amp and fx as normal. The last block is the return from the Trio+, which is post all the guitar processing and provides a clean accompaniment. That’s what you are wanting to achieve, but as I have already said, this same configuration needs to be in each and every preset you want to use with the band in a box.

Thanks Datacommando,

Many thanks for your continued great help

I have now received the TrioPlus and have rigged it up as you suggest and with the preset kindly supplied in customtone, and it works.

So in your quote "Once learned, you simply use the guitar amp and fx as normal" 

So is my understanding here correct the trio plus just uses the first clean in/out loop (between send block and return block) to learn and teach the band, then when the clean backing track is completed, I can play over the backing with any chosen effects which will automatically use the chain after the clean return block?

I guess what I am confused by, is when I have got my backing track created by the band, and I play over it the trio knows I am now using parts of the chain which now contain any of my effects blocks

Thanks again

35 minutes ago, Hairgone said:

I guess what I am confused by, is when I have got my backing track created by the band, and I play over it the trio knows I am now using parts of the chain which now contain any of my effects blocks

Hi,

I don’t think that the Trio+ knows anything about what you are playing effects wise. You feed at a clean signal so it can learn your tune, or riff or whatever. Once you kick the switch after the learn process, you clean guitar signal will simply pass through the Trio+ into the return socket and then through any amp and fx you have set up, giving you your chosen guitar tone. That processed signal the goes out of the LT  into the FX Return on the Trio. That audio is then mixed with the “backing band” out of the Trio and into the 2nd Return on the LT, which is then sent to the final output of your Helix.

I feel that I must point out that I don’t own a Digital Tech Trio+, simply seen it in use, and as you have the hardware already, the best thing you can do is experiment with it all. There could well be a more elegant solution to patching this together, as noted by the guy “deadlocked”, who posted the preset you have - you could simply stick your guitar into the front of the Trio and your Helix LT into the fx loop of that. You might wish to re-read his post about that. Essentially, I don’t think you will fry anything by experimenting. The biggest down side I can think of is that you are going to be limited to mono audio throughout -it will save on DSP though.

Hi,

Many thanks again for your helpful advice, and the time you have put into this.

I will digest all of the information and try it out using all the options discussed.

I m really quite nee to the Helix and should have really developed a better understanding of the Helix itself before embarking on adding a trio, sometimes I guess a baptism of fire can force a person into learning.

Thanks DataCommando :-)

6 minutes ago, Hairgone said:

sometimes I guess a baptism of fire can force a person into learning.

Don’t be deterred, check the owners manuals for both the DigiTech and the Helix LT. The Trio manual has diagrams for different connection options. Have fun, you really aren’t in danger of blowing anything up.

;-)