Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean boost alternative

LesSand

I need to simulate a clean boost (like the MXR micro amp) in front of an amp. I'm thinking of using a Param EQ to simulate the MXR's high-end boost at unit gain, and then the Level parameter as gain. In addition to using my ears, am also trying to think this through. :-)

- Does that sound like a reasonable alternative to you guys or am I tripping?

- Are these blocks designed to be loaded like this and react like in real life, or am I risking digital clipping between blocks? I started fussing with it right in front of the Amp block's input, I haven't yet tried in front of other pedal blocks.

- Is the +16dB (I think?) gain offered by the EQ's Level parameter on par with the type of gain a pedal of that type gives in the real world?

Thoughts?

Peace,

-Ale

The EQ will work. I also like to use the Klon model as well as the Screamer with the gain down and level up. Sometimes I use a compressor for this as well but I think it takes a little more work to make it not sound like a compressor.

+16db sounds a little high but yes, the Helix is supposed to behave like in real life with pedals in front of the amp. Try the Klon like others have suggested.... or even both. Personally I use the Timmy or the Klon and happy thus far. Good luck!