Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does Dt25 Combo's Master Volume Affect How Hard Tubes Work?

Lawless33

Hey, guys!  I use my DT25 combo live at our church with a POD HD500.  Just curious as to whether the power tubes work harder, or provide more tube warmth when the master volume on the DT25 is set higher.

I've read conflicting reports.  I've heard guys run the DT25 master volume very high, then control the patch volume from the HD500 (I've used the amp model's channel volume to do this.)  Others keep the DT25's master volume lower and then raise the volume with the HD500's amp model channel volume.

Anybody know for sure?  Thanks in advance!

Wes

I don't own a HD500, but i ran my effect pedals direct infront into my DT50 212. I've been listening closely to the sound of how the volume and master react to each other.

I really don't know the exact answer in regards to power tube being driven harder, but i find that with higher volume on the channel, gives better sounding and fuller result. I kept the master low all the time because i play in the bedroom setting most of the time, but occasionally did crank up the master as well to verify the tone. Still volume channel high, gives the best result to my ear. 

If you look at the preset sheet that comes with the amp, they do set the volume channel high all the time. I assume this is to make sure the tubes are driven all the time.

And i do find the preset sheet tones comes best to my ear. I've tried nearly all the combination but still find myself going back to the preset sheet that comes with the amp.

Just my 2cents. Would be great to share your findings too =)

• Upvote 1

I don't think I ever took the HD500 out of the equation and just tried using the DT25 all by itself.  I should have tried running the DT25 by itself with the master volume low and channel volume high...then compared with running the master volume high and channel volume low.

..........  I should have tried running the DT25 by itself with the master volume low and channel volume high...then compared with running the master volume high and channel volume low.

Lawless33 .... give this a try and let us know what you think of the result, and which combination you prefer between the two.

I'll let you know the way I prefer to do it after you've tried it for yourself.

Hi Lawless

I think the master on the DT25 is just that - a good old honest hard wired volume control after the preamp that sets how hard the tube power amp is working.

I also think the channel volume is doing much the same job, but before you get to the master volume.

I've not done the experiment to prove this, but I'd expect master high and channel volume low to drive the power tubes pretty much in the same way as master low and channel volume high with the same overall output.  The tubes are going to hit their limit and start to distort at the same overall level whether it's the channel volume or master volume that's setting the output level.

It's going to be very loud when you get to power amp distortion with even a 25 watt amp, so there could be something in the way the preamp models are working.

I'm with Lawless - give each combination a try and let your ears / taste decide.

Good luck

Mark

DT25 is slightly different than the DT50 in that there isn't a 12AX7 triode between the DAC and the Inverter...It's a FET I as I recall...maybe just a nice OP...Anyhoo, the master does not determine how hard the amp is working...When the amp is Class A, the tubes are working as hard as they can all the time whether there is signal there or not...that is how class A works...When the amp is class AB then the master actually does have the effect of increasing or reducing how hard power section is working because of the B component...But when you turn it up loud enough, it just turns class a anyway...All AB amps work that way...the louder you run, the more A...The master on the DT amplifiers is actually a pretty complicated thing because the amp can change class...It behaves like the master on a Class A amp...The reason is obovious...turn the master all the way down and you still hear it hissing...I think that FET plays into the channel volume being higher though...there is something a little bit different about running a DT50 that way and a DT25....One thing for certain, the DT25 has a lower noise floor...sorry to gab...