Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Footswitch toggle min/max amounts

markwesse

HD500:

Hi All

Ive used a pod in one form or another since the original as well as others along the way. Of course there will always be some things missed on different units. I have also used Guitar rig which I find better for the clean tones although the hd seems to now bring comparable reverbs etc which is great (I have a hardware only rig with gr20 and a full blown rig rig all run in Live for flexible looping etc eg guitar rig, podfarm etc). 

My question is;

In Guitar rig, when assigning a footswitch eg from rig kontrol, you can map the limit of a parameter eg Reverb mix, to the on/off: can this be done in hd500?

This behaviour is visible when assigning midi to footswitches...but cant seem to connect it internally in HD500 edit

In other words, clicking the footswitch can change the mix level arbitrarily from eg 15% in the off position, to eg 48% in the on position. I dont want to switch the effects on/off just adjust the parameter without using a foot pedal. I only use 3 amp types ABC and a couple of variations of only rev/delay/chorus within that...Im using the guitar synth for the washing and ambience...I find it more satisfying keeping it simple...more time for the brain to focus on the playing :-)

Cheers

Other than using either EXP1 or EXP2 as you mentioned, the switches can only toggle the block on or off. They cannot control a parameter of a given block.

What is wierd, functionality wise, is that if I set a footswitch with midi and set eg CC 15 with a off value of 23 and on value of 99, then run a midi cable from the out to the in, it (should) would work in but internally they didnt implement it that way...I must be missing something.

What is wierd, functionality wise, is that if I set a footswitch with midi and set eg CC 15 with a off value of 23 and on value of 99, then run a midi cable from the out to the in, it (should) would work in but internally they didnt implement it that way...I must be missing something.

Not sure what you could be seeing with that. The HD doesn't, or shouldn't, respond to an incoming CC15 (unless you just chose that arbitrarily), only 051 - 059. And those are just toggles, so it doesn't matter what the value is. 001 and 002 are attached to the EXP controllers and the value for these do matter, but obviously aren't switches. There are some other CC#s that allow control of the looper, tap tempo, and tuner mode. Take a look at appendix 'B' in the advanced guide for specifics on that.

Not sure what you could be seeing with that. The HD doesn't, or shouldn't, respond to an incoming CC15 (unless you just chose that arbitrarily), only 051 - 059. And those are just toggles, so it doesn't matter what the value is. 001 and 002 are attached to the EXP controllers and the value for these do matter, but obviously aren't switches. There are some other CC#s that allow control of the looper, tap tempo, and tuner mode. Take a look at appendix 'B' in the advanced guide for specifics on that.

Yeah...was just an abstract...the main point to illustrate here is a footswitch controlling a range parameter. Its really handy and have been using it for so long because it most instances eg rev I dont want to completely switch it off...just vary the state without using a pedal which is cumbersome.

HTH

Cheers

I have the same gripe about the device. What you could do is have two instances of the same Reverb and set each to the parameters you want. it seems redundant and DSP hungry, but it's either that or expression pedals

Yeah. What Alex said. Or have separate presets for each "scene". But then you'll have to deal with an audio interruption. I know that Helix is capable of parameter control - min and max - via footswitch.

I might try a midi loop back cable...that might actually work.

The midi implementation is basically such that you can only do what the controls on the unit can actually do - so virtually press the switches.  Doesn't help for this at all - Helix can do it but that doesn't help much either

The only option that I can think of is to use a switch into Exp 2 that is 10k ohm in one position and closed circuit (o ohm) in the other - the HD500 will treat the switch positions as the extremes of the expression pedal movement so by associating the required parameters with Exp 2 you can switch from one state to the over virtually instantaneously. 

Why does HD Edit allow different values for CC toggle min max eg 45 for Off, 127 for on?

For a CC toggle, the HD only allows you send a value of 0 or 127. Additionally, I'm not sure why either of these values would matter for a toggle message anyway. It's kind of contrary to the definition of toggle. Maybe it makes a difference for midi devices other than the HD. When one of the footswitches on the HD responds to a CC message, it just toggles that switches state, regardless of the value the message contains. When I used to use the HD and controlled it via Reaper, it's not called a CC toggle in Reaper. It's just a CC message where the value doesn't matter. Maybe I don't know enough about midi, but the term CC Toggle something Line 6 only uses?

For a CC toggle, the HD only allows you send a value of 0 or 127. Additionally, I'm not sure why either of these values would matter for a toggle message anyway. It's kind of contrary to the definition of toggle. Maybe it makes a difference for midi devices other than the HD. When one of the footswitches on the HD responds to a CC message, it just toggles that switches state, regardless of the value the message contains. When I used to use the HD and controlled it via Reaper, it's not called a CC toggle in Reaper. It's just a CC message where the value doesn't matter. Maybe I don't know enough about midi, but the term CC Toggle something Line 6 only uses?

Toggle is just a definition of what you do with the controller. Its common eg for multi level toggle ie 3 state toggle to step through 0, 64,127. Some earlier midi only implementations I have seen only use a max value of 64 for sustain (ensoniq, not sure why). GRig Kontrol allows cycling of program changes and CC toggles with min and max ranges. HD Edit allows a toggle to have arbitrary values thats for sure. My usb is damaged and am trying to get that fixed (bought it that way) so it would find it weird if using the edit didnt exactly send out the programmed value but cant check as yet.

IF the FS does indeed send arbitrary values you could use a loop cable and

Set FSn to output CC 001 with values eg 33, 105 and it would provide a range to the EXP2

The looper doesnt use multi state buttons but it uses the paradigm;

060 0-63 = Overdub, 64-127 = Record Looper Record/Overdub Switch

Not sure why Line6 would not have used something as simple as that but Im sure there is a reason. Im also not sure why they have never implemented behaviours on ANY of their pedal boards. I have used this and its the only real way to get efficient easy to remember operation.

eg Single click/ Double click. Single click is the positive operation and double is the negative. eg on the looper, a single click is record, double click is undo and so on. 3 state is single cycle eg LED off, Led flashing, led on solid which is handy. 

There is a lot more but no doubt they arent interested and will not help anyone here...its just that control is more than emulating an ol school pedal board.