Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix! And some questions, I'm afraid...

FarleyUK

Hi all,

Finally picked up a Helix, and loving it so far! I'm using it with a valve amp (JVM410HJS) so just using it for FX and also MIDI changes on the amp. I've also set it in 4CM with the send1 and return 1 being used for this.

I've noticed that having the delay, reverb and phaser after the return block - as opposed to in the 'send / return' section - makes them sound a lot better. In fact, adding any FX to the send / return section doesn't have a lot of impact! Is that normal? Just seems that it's not actually in the FX loop of the amp then!

And how can I assign wah to EXP1 and Volume to EXP2 and select them?

Also, been using Command Center to send a MIDI CC change to my amp - however, I need to send more than one CC change request on a single button press - is this possible? (FYI, it's to change to Master Volume 2, FX Loop on, Gate on and Channel change to OD2 RED. Know I can do it with a preset, but I'd rather find another way!).

Thanks all!

Hi Farley,  congrats on the Helix!

I'm mainly using mine in 4cm with my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade combo which is awesome, but I'd like to try a JVM.. maybe a 205 Head or Combo.

Hi all,

Finally picked up a Helix, and loving it so far! I'm using it with a valve amp (JVM410HJS) so just using it for FX and also MIDI changes on the amp. I've also set it in 4CM with the send1 and return 1 being used for this.

I've noticed that having the delay, reverb and phaser after the return block - as opposed to in the 'send / return' section - makes them sound a lot better. In fact, adding any FX to the send / return section doesn't have a lot of impact! Is that normal? Just seems that it's not actually in the FX loop of the amp then!

And how can I assign wah to EXP1 and Volume to EXP2 and select them?

Also, been using Command Center to send a MIDI CC change to my amp - however, I need to send more than one CC change request on a single button press - is this possible? (FYI, it's to change to Master Volume 2, FX Loop on, Gate on and Channel change to OD2 RED. Know I can do it with a preset, but I'd rather find another way!).

Thanks all!

FX - yes most people put delays, reverbs and modulation after the Preamp (Send/Return).  Wahs, Compressors and Overdrives are generally better before the Preamp (Send/Return).  Some people like Phasers, Flangers etc before the Preamp.

EXP1 & 2.  If you press the toe switch down on the Helix's pedal (really hard with your foot!!!) it will switch from EXP1 to EXP2.  By default whenever you add a Wah block to a preset it is assigned to EXP1 and when you add a Volume block it will be assigned to EXP2.  Just press the to switch to choose between EXP1 Wah and EXP2 Volume.   Of course you can choose to use EXP 1 and 2 for other things than Wah and Vol.. that's up to you!!!   To assign manually you press the menu button, then press Knob2 "Controller assign" and then choose EXP Pedal 1 (or 2) with Knob 2.

As far as I know Helix can only send one MIDI cc message per footswitch... so I think you will have to set up presets on your JVM and get the Helix to send Program Change PC messages to the Marshall.

Good luck!

Rick

In addition to what ricksteruk said above, you can have Helix send 6 MIDI cc messages upon selection of a preset.  Like he said, you can currently only send one message per footswitch but I believe there are requests on Ideascale to change this.  I'd recommend voting them up.

Cheers guys! Loving it so far.

However, I've noticed what I think is clipping - especially when hitting the bottom E and A strings. Kind of like a 'quack', sounds like the clipping on the GT100 I used previously. What's the best way to eliminate this?

Should I alter the return and send values? Or the path send?

Figured I'd respond to this part in particular, since this took a while to get my head around it when I started with 4CM years ago.  It's important to distinguish from the helix's sends and returns from your amp's send and return.  The Helix loop is sending to the amp input and returning from the amp's effect send, so the only thing that's going to be between that send and return is the preamp section of your amp.  The helix output is going to your amp's effects return, so the amp's effect loop resides between the loop  return on the helix and the helix's output. 

Sounds like you had it sorted sound-wise.  I just always find it helpful to know the whys and hows when I'm building a chain.

Cheers guys! Loving it so far.

However, I've noticed what I think is clipping - especially when hitting the bottom E and A strings. Kind of like a 'quack', sounds like the clipping on the GT100 I used previously. What's the best way to eliminate this?

Should I alter the return and send values? Or the path send?

First thing to do is check that you have "Instrument" level set on the Helix Send/Return loop you are using.  (within Global settings menu)

Then make sure you set your amp's FX loop to -10dBv as that's closest to the instrument level that the front of the JVM is expecting to receive - but still it's actually louder.  So I find I usually set the Return level on the Send/Return block to about -15dB.

To explain...Helix's Send will be sending Instrument Level to your JVM input which is good, but then the JVM's FX Send is giving -10dBv Consumer Line Level to the Helix return, which is expecting a lower instrument level.

You probably want to set the main Helix 1/4in outs to Instrument Level - but they would also usually work fine set at Line level as you've set your JVM loop to -10dBv,  you won't overload the JVM's FX return either way - so just do what seems best.

If you bypass the JVMs FX loop you can balance the levels through the Helix.

It's all quite confusing really!!!

Thanks!

Just so I'm clear - the send / return block would be the two separate send1 and return1 blocks, right? Not the output block at the end of the chain?

So, I just after the output on the return block itself (assigned to return 1)?

Thanks!

Just so I'm clear - the send / return block would be the two separate send1 and return1 blocks, right? Not the output block at the end of the chain?

So, I just after the output on the return block itself (assigned to return 1)?

You can use separate Send and Return blocks if you want - but it's probably best to use a combined one.

The signal goes:

Guitar > Helix Guitar In > HELIX PRE FX  > Helix SEND1 to JVM in > JVM Fx send to Helix RETURN1 > HELIX POST FX > 1/4in out to JVM FX return

It makes sense to use a combined Send/Return block really.