Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Analog fuzz in Helix loop

Inerzia

I want to use an analog fuzz in one of Helix's loops, and not before the input, because I'm using a Tyler Variax into the VDI.
It's that kind of fuzz, that wants to be first in chain, so it doesn't sound right in the loop. I've tried switching the loop to "line", but it's worse (as expected, anyway).
Is there something I can do to make any such pedal to sound as if it were first in the chain? 

Maybe the Radial Dragster? http://www.tonebone.com/dragster.php

It's basically an adjustable load correction circuit that simulates passive guitar pickups... I actually have one, but I've never tried in this application.

Thanks Phil, I'll look into it.

According to the info on the page, it should do what I want, but I'm gonna look for more reviews, videos, demos and the usual stuff

I want to use an analog fuzz in one of Helix's loops, and not before the input, because I'm using a Tyler Variax into the VDI.

It's that kind of fuzz, that wants to be first in chain, so it doesn't sound right in the loop. I've tried switching the loop to "line", but it's worse (as expected, anyway).

Is there something I can do to make any such pedal to sound as if it were first in the chain?

Have you tried playing with the impedance or pad global settings (do these still impact the sound when using a Variax?)? Maybe driving the fuzz with one of the overdrives placed before it with the drive all the way off might be worth experimenting with, even though that is not intuitive as you are trying to get the sound of the fuzz being first pedal in the signal chain.

Have you tried playing with the impedance or pad global settings (do these still impact the sound when using a Variax?)? Maybe driving the fuzz with one of the overdrives placed before it with the drive all the way off might be worth experimenting with, even though that is not intuitive as you are trying to get the sound of the fuzz being first pedal in the signal chain.

The input impedance and pad only affect the guitar in jack. The input impedance controls an actual analog circuit at the guitar input.

• Upvote 1

You have to ask, though, if one of the built-in fuzzes won't just work better. This is a limitation of every modeler I've encountered that has a loop, but really only with fuzz (which I don't use anyway).

That may be the case, Peter, in fact, I just tried using a  passive D.I. in the opposite direction and it does work, impedance wise, but it also induces hum so... I'll end up getting one of those dragsters because they seem to be a smart piece of gear that could solve some problems (if, maybe, not this one)

The fuzz models in Helix sound very nice, it's no big deal if that particular pedal doesn't want to fit in.

I've heard from more than one person that the Dragster is all snake oil, though... jus' throwin' that out there.

Not exactly snake oil, but overpriced for what it is, really. I actually think this particular application makes more sense than what's described on Radial's website. But here's a gut shot of one of these:

DSC00594.jpg

It's just a variable impedance circuit - probably not too different than what the guitar input of the Helix is like.