Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G30 Battery Door Suddenly Broken?

elguapo64

I'm at rehearsal jamming away and my signal cuts out. Well these G30's eat batteries but I have plenty. However I notice the battery door is cracked in half. Weird. The only pressure it's receiving is from the spring that holds the battery.

Has this happened to anyone? Does Line 6 cover this or at least offer a repair?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have also the same problem. It's my second G30 belt pack with problems with the battery door. I think it's a weak point. I have read that Velcro around the belt pack will keep the door closed. I will try that and hope it works because I like the system.  If not I think I will buy a new wireless system from another brand because I won't buy a third belt pack.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it is obvious that there is a defect in the design of the Relay G30 battery door.  The battery door on my recently purchased G 30 started to crack almost right out of the box, only after a few uses and I made sure I was being very careful with the way I installed the batteries and stored the unit away so it would not get damaged.  It is obvious, at least to me anyways, that the designed push back pressure from the springs at the bottom of the battery slots which push the batteries against the battery door, to ensure that there is a snug contact on both the positive and negative contacts for both batteries, is simply too great for the flimsy battery door to withstand.  All that is holding the batteries in place is a flimsy piece of plastic which relies on the support of the silver battery connector attached to the battery door to keep the piece of plastic from breaking… Well... that design flaw reared its ugly head and the battery door on my G30 cracked in half yesterday and fell off right in the middle of a gig.  

I understand there are many ways to jury rig the battery door to keep the batteries from popping out onto the ground and trying to keep the battery door from falling off and breaking into two pieces.  The issue I have as a consumer with the G 30 Line 6 product was the unit was advertised and specified to work properly if used as per Line 6 directions/specifications.  I am quite certain that Line 6 did not market there G 30 unit by stating in their marketing literature that the battery door could crack, break, fall off if used as directed and the user should jury rig the battery door to stay closed by using any method they choose to use (i.e. – Velcro, rubber bands, etc…).  I bought the product having confidence in the Line 6 product lines, even though I still have their XDS wireless unit that has known drop out problems and does not work, as acknowledged by a Line 6 technician in these very Line 6 forums.

Since this is a common problem among many users of the Line 6 G 30 wireless unit I am confident that Line 6, being a company that stands behind their products, will repair any broken battery doors that their customers have purchased.  However, unless the root cause of the flaw in the battery door is not addressed with some type of beefed up battery door the same problem could rear its ugly head again after the door is fixed.

Well everyone, thanks for sharing with this forum that you also have the same defect in your G 30 as we do.

I will be contacting Line 6 about repairing my not so old G 30 and at that time will find out first hand if Line 6 stands behind their products, which I hope they do because I like to use their products. 

• 4 months later...

This very well may be the reason for the $100 price drop recently. The G50 with a metal enclosure doesn't have this issue and the price point didn't change. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Well, it is obvious that there is a defect in the design of the Relay G30 battery door. The battery door on my recently purchased G 30 started to crack almost right out of the box, only after a few uses and I made sure I was being very careful with the way I installed the batteries and stored the unit away so it would not get damaged. It is obvious, at least to me anyways, that the designed push back pressure from the springs at the bottom of the battery slots which push the batteries against the battery door, to ensure that there is a snug contact on both the positive and negative contacts for both batteries, is simply too great for the flimsy battery door to withstand. All that is holding the batteries in place is a flimsy piece of plastic which relies on the support of the silver battery connector attached to the battery door to keep the piece of plastic from breaking… Well... that design flaw reared its ugly head and the battery door on my G30 cracked in half yesterday and fell off right in the middle of a gig.

I understand there are many ways to jury rig the battery door to keep the batteries from popping out onto the ground and trying to keep the battery door from falling off and breaking into two pieces. The issue I have as a consumer with the G 30 Line 6 product was the unit was advertised and specified to work properly if used as per Line 6 directions/specifications. I am quite certain that Line 6 did not market there G 30 unit by stating in their marketing literature that the battery door could crack, break, fall off if used as directed and the user should jury rig the battery door to stay closed by using any method they choose to use (i.e. – Velcro, rubber bands, etc…). I bought the product having confidence in the Line 6 product lines, even though I still have their XDS wireless unit that has known drop out problems and does not work, as acknowledged by a Line 6 technician in these very Line 6 forums.

Since this is a common problem among many users of the Line 6 G 30 wireless unit I am confident that Line 6, being a company that stands behind their products, will repair any broken battery doors that their customers have purchased. However, unless the root cause of the flaw in the battery door is not addressed with some type of beefed up battery door the same problem could rear its ugly head again after the door is fixed.

Well everyone, thanks for sharing with this forum that you also have the same defect in your G 30 as we do.

I will be contacting Line 6 about repairing my not so old G 30 and at that time will find out first hand if Line 6 stands behind their products, which I hope they do because I like to use their products.

I had the same thing happen. If you call support they'll tell you you can order the part to replace it..15 dollars shipped from Full Compass. I am trying to think of ways to have the part made into metal. Any ideas? Ours broke in the middle of a gig because I was using slightly larger Eneloop rechargable batteries. Its poor design, but perhaps we can improve upon it as a community...

info for those of you needing the Chassis replacement:

part: 97-000-0023  CASE ASSY W/BATT COVER TBP06
Full compass number:  608-831-7330 
price: 12.00

Same thing,

My door on the G30 is broken and I have had to resort to tape at my last gig as I run the p.a. and use the wireless to spot check

the levels in smaller venues.

I also see the smallest stress type of crack on the chassis near the door.

The wireless itself works fine and I love that I can keep the receiver on my pedal board.

I am a line 6 junky but can't believe they have overlooked this.

It seems to happen often as I have googled and read up.

Please help a faithful customer out line 6.

Eddy

i have a g30 system as well and just a couple days ago my battery latch broke completely in half. now i have to velcro whats left of the door to keep the metal against the batteries. its such a shame how these are made because the unit itself is great but the battery door is awful. i made a support ticket but i dont know if they will help me fix it. this sucks

• 4 years later...

ok guys

so i saved up for this wireless for a while

couldnt afford new one, so bough used one from long and mcquades

when it got handed to me, door was already half broken

4 months into ownership, i had to put electrical tape around the thing to work

today......no matter what i do, its not working........

so does line 6 take ANY liability for OBVIOUS manufacturer defect?

or should i simply just drop all of my line6 equipment and go with prosonus, shure, marshall and whatever software is out there.....

i will leave this up to line6

thanks 

3 hours ago, dkrawk said:

ok guys

so i saved up for this wireless for a while

couldnt afford new one, so bough used one from long and mcquades

when it got handed to me, door was already half broken

4 months into ownership, i had to put electrical tape around the thing to work

today......no matter what i do, its not working........

so does line 6 take ANY liability for OBVIOUS manufacturer defect?

or should i simply just drop all of my line6 equipment and go with prosonus, shure, marshall and whatever software is out there.....

i will leave this up to line6

thanks 

If it was “half broken”, as you say, when you bought it used from L&M, that seems to be one them, as they shouldn’t have sold something broken in the first place...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

oh phil_m

"shouldn't" is a VERY grey area

when i bought my FIRST guitar that i fell in love with from them 2015 epi custom, they were saying that it is normal for strings to buzz and i "sholdnn't" worry about it

after doing a tonne of research, taking my baby to other music stores, contacting Steve Long directly and just talking my heart out, gibson rental, 2800 CAD of warranty work, and a condition "have customer play guiar for half hour before releasing it" when it came back, yes, plucking and whatever else came to 2800 buck made difference, THANK YOU L&M

my idiotic strap buttons kept going loose, week after week, look im not -iq here, i can tight them up myself, but why, it not my responsibility. took it l&m, they screwed it in allright......theres crack in my guitar by the strap button.......uhm guys hello, this is my FIRST guitar, "best out of the best" i dropped my pants and bought it, along with other $4-5k shortly after.......and now there is a ********* crack in it......."it should be ok" took to 2 other guitar stores "uhm sir, that is ******, and that is wrong, your princess(what i call my white epi custom) is lollipopED"

l&m "it SHOULD BE OK"

i swore by long and mcquades, i really did.........

back to this POS wireless

i tell the guy "look its loose" 

response "when you put bateries in it, it will be fine" riiight, never knew batteries have magnetic abilities....

at this point, l&m told me off "you didnt buy the warranty"......when i had my epi broken and they told me that i asked them if they ever had parts of epi flyung thought their windows and if they ever been fed les pauls piece by piece, and that was fine, but at this point.....they are no afraid of little transmitter flying at them......

and support from Line6......well it just doesnt exist, i will never buy anythng that says line6 o on it, and i will be getting a job at l&m and make sure i NEVER put a curse on any human being by selling them a line6 product

at this point, my grand father who is 86 years old, born in ussr, electrical mechanical engineer, will be fixing this thing for me as a Christmas present 

10 hours ago, dkrawk said:

oh phil_m

"shouldn't" is a VERY grey area

when i bought my FIRST guitar that i fell in love with from them 2015 epi custom, they were saying that it is normal for strings to buzz and i "sholdnn't" worry about it

after doing a tonne of research, taking my baby to other music stores, contacting Steve Long directly and just talking my heart out, gibson rental, 2800 CAD of warranty work, and a condition "have customer play guiar for half hour before releasing it" when it came back, yes, plucking and whatever else came to 2800 buck made difference, THANK YOU L&M

my idiotic strap buttons kept going loose, week after week, look im not -iq here, i can tight them up myself, but why, it not my responsibility. took it l&m, they screwed it in allright......theres crack in my guitar by the strap button.......uhm guys hello, this is my FIRST guitar, "best out of the best" i dropped my pants and bought it, along with other $4-5k shortly after.......and now there is a ********* crack in it......."it should be ok" took to 2 other guitar stores "uhm sir, that is ******, and that is wrong, your princess(what i call my white epi custom) is lollipopED"

l&m "it SHOULD BE OK"

i swore by long and mcquades, i really did.........

back to this POS wireless

i tell the guy "look its loose" 

response "when you put bateries in it, it will be fine" riiight, never knew batteries have magnetic abilities....

at this point, l&m told me off "you didnt buy the warranty"......when i had my epi broken and they told me that i asked them if they ever had parts of epi flyung thought their windows and if they ever been fed les pauls piece by piece, and that was fine, but at this point.....they are no afraid of little transmitter flying at them......

and support from Line6......well it just doesnt exist, i will never buy anythng that says line6 o on it, and i will be getting a job at l&m and make sure i NEVER put a curse on any human being by selling them a line6 product

at this point, my grand father who is 86 years old, born in ussr, electrical mechanical engineer, will be fixing this thing for me as a Christmas present 

Well, I think you win the incoherent rant award, but the day is still young. Not your responsibility to tighten strap locks? LOL, buddy it is your guitar, it is your responsibility.

Sounds like L&M sold you a busted G30, and that sucks. But that is on L&M and yourself; L&M for selling you a busted item and you for keeping and not returning it. In my experience Line 6 customer service has been great; have you even filed a support ticket with them? Though I doubt they can do much, because at the end of the day, YOU bought a broken G30 and didn't return it the first time. Live and learn, friend. 

• 3 weeks later...

The G30 just has a poor design for the battery door. Pretty much EVERYONE I know that's owned the unit either has the door break, or the batteries lose contact and cut out even if everything is still intact. I solved the issue for myself with a velcro cable wrap around the transmitter tightened down around the battery door. I'll probably go to Shure for a replacement soon, though, since three people in my band are using Line 6 digital wireless and we're always crossing into each-other's signals even if were far apart in channels (Bassist on 1, me on 6 vocalist on 3-4) in some rooms. Super annoying when you're sound checking and the vocals are coming out of my guitar rig.

• 9 months later...
On 12/14/2013 at 6:42 AM, robertfichera said:

battery door latch is broken on my G 30 wont stay closed

I dropped it from about 18 inches and the battery door broke.  I used some tape to hold it closed.  I was really surprised at how easily it broke.

• 1 month later...

Brand new, first post. Wanted to read up on consumer responses about the G30 wireless remote transmitter battery door.

I've had mine less than a year. Always been careful with it, never dropped once. I keep the units in a padded box. Went to do a gig last Friday, only to find that the metal battery thing separated from the lid, couldn't get it back on again, so I used the "Asurion lifetime warranty" thing I paid $15 for when I bought the unit on Amazon. What a bloody nightmare that was. But, I really needed this thing to work, so I superglued the metal plate on to the lid for the next gig tomorrow night. I guess I will just break it again, send it off to Asurion, where they send me an Amazon gift card for $89.95 to buy another unit.

But what really pisses me off - the crappy engineering design. This lid sparks tons of angst in the way it's designed. They could have easily done it better. I blame the Line 6 people for creating such a problematic design but I garner the feeling that they will not do anything to support me. Feedback welcome. Surely I am not the first to have the metal plate fall out, but you MUST superglue it on to get the damn thing to stay in place.

• 1 year later...

Ok. I have replaced the G30 receiver twice for the dreaded battery door issue. I read somewhere that the G50 receiver can be used with the G30 transmitter. Has anyone tried this? If this is a possibility, the G50 or G70 appears to be built more sleek and more durable and may be a viable alternative. Thanks in advance!

Do you know if the G50 receiver will work with the G30 transmitter? I have a nifty little pouch on my strap that houses the receiver. The rubber bandaid fix rolls off when you need to take it out and be put it back in the pouch during a quick battery change. Thanks

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue- battery door broken.  Tried gaffer tape last time I put new batteries in and it worked for about 20 minutes.  Can't use it if I can't trust it, so I'm looking for a more permanent solution.  Seems like either buy a new G30 receiver, or it seems from this thread that the G50 receiver will also work and is more robust.  I'm in the UK and haven't been able to find out where I can buy from.  Can anyone please advise?  Many thanks, but I echo those who rightly say that Line 6 should be on top of this.  Otherwise I love the product, so it would a shame for something so simple to lead to users defecting from Line 6.  Cheers