Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please help - really odd noise!

FarleyUK

Help! I've got a very odd noise coming out of the amp when The Helix is used. Have ensured all other powered pedals are off, tried different cables, different wall sockets, different extension cables etc.

Anyone any idea what it is and how to stop it?

Using 4cm to the amp.

Guitar > Helix Guitar In > Helix SEND1 to JVM in > JVM Fx send to Helix RETURN1 > 1/4in out to JVM FX return

Oddly enough, I have a talk box as well and even with the Helix and amp off, that makes the same noise.

Also, if I bypass the FX LOOP block on the Helix, the sound is still there, so maybe it's not the FX loop.....

If I plug direct into the amp, it's fine (I.e. Guitar -> amp input, no fx loop).

You say the talk box makes exactly the same noise as this?  It sounds like dirty electricity to me - you should try to get a power conditioner.

The upstairs room in my house sometimes has an awful very loud hum that affects pretty much anything you plug in there.. I tried everything I could thing of - using different sockets - isolated power supplies.  They helped a little.

A power conditioner cured it for me.  I got one of these for about £15 used - an ETA PD8L IEC

Help! I've got a very odd noise coming out of the amp when The Helix is used. Have ensured all other powered pedals are off, tried different cables, different wall sockets, different extension cables etc.

Anyone any idea what it is and how to stop it?

Using 4cm to the amp.

Guitar > Helix Guitar In > Helix SEND1 to JVM in > JVM Fx send to Helix RETURN1 > 1/4in out to JVM FX return

Oddly enough, I have a talk box as well and even with the Helix and amp off, that makes the same noise.

Also, if I bypass the FX LOOP block on the Helix, the sound is still there, so maybe it's not the FX loop.....

If I plug direct into the amp, it's fine (I.e. Guitar -> amp input, no fx loop).

This could be electrical but it almost sounds mechanical, like a fan sound being picked up by a microphonic tube that has gone bad although you say it makes the same sound with the amp off. If it happens when the amp is on I would try lightly tapping the Marshall's tubes with a pencil to see if any of them are microphonic. What is it making the sound through when the amp is off,  the headphones on the Helix? Does it happen on several or many of the factory presets?

The reason I think it's a noisy electrical supply is that Farley says that his talk box makes the same noise....

.....even when the Helix and the Amp are off!!

You are correct, that makes sense. He does mention it makes the noise even with the Helix and the amp off. Just not sure I understand what he is hearing the noise through when the amp is off unless it is the tube/hose on the talkbox. Electrical noise generally requires some sort of amplification and a speaker to hear (with some exceptions like fluorescent lights).

Cheers guys - I actually have a power conditioner I always use - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-6-Way-Mains-Conditioner/dp/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466211196&sr=8-1&keywords=power+conditioner

Played the first gig with it tonight and all seemed OK, so a bit odd...!

I don't think that's up to the job really.  It's more of a surge protector than a power conditioner - it doesn't say it's got filters in it.  You want both RFI and EMI filters to get rid of that sort of noise.

Something like this: - http://www.atlasied.com/ap-c15d

When you run into a venue that has really nasty power you won't regret it.   The power at your gig tonight was ok luckily! Most venues are fine.. it's just good to have the conditioner just in case.

As I say my upstairs room has a continual recurring buzzing in the mains (caused by interference from a neighbour I think) so I need to use the conditioner in there any time music happens there.

Yes, it is likely ground loops are involved but the noise is probably caused by the dirty electricity - that is why it didn't make that noise at your gig.

You might get results removing the noise with a ground isolator / hum buster - but a power conditioner (like the one you linked) is probably the best bet - and a good thing to use always anyway!