Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Personal Monitor Options/Opinions

sikter

Hey guys,

I just saw this deal on the GC, and I was wondering would this be a good option for Helix personal monitor? 

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Daily-Pick.gc?source=4TP5M1BB&r=2053942_31227

I do have Behringer Eurolive F1320D that I gave to my singer to use. If you think that this one would be better, I will use that one. It's a bummer that I still didn't get to try this Behringer with Helix.

I was even thinking about Shure in-ear PSM 200 or 300, but I have no experience with wireless monitoring.

Anyway, all your suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Peace and RNR.

In my experience, dual 15" active speakers can be all over the map in quality - the good ones are REALLY good, and the bad ones... ecch. I've never heard that particular speaker in person, so I can't offer a specific opinion. I'd strongly recommend auditioning speakers before buying one, though, unless you're comfortable with turning it over on Craigslist or similar.

I own and personally recommend the QSC K-Series (one K8 has been more than enough for me, even in fairly loud bands). I've heard the Electro-Voice ELX series, and those are good too; there are a few other Class D active speakers in that general price range that I've at least auditioned once at a store, and all of them seemed acceptable.

The Behringer B2xxD series are less expensive, but their performance is not great; I own a couple of them as backups / extra monitors, and they run out of steam fairly quickly - at least my B208Ds do. Any low mids/bass causes them to hit their internal limiter at too quiet a level to be useful on a loud stage. They also have a boxy/midrangey sound that I've not been able to EQ out. I wouldn't recommend them; at the price you can get better quality used.

Thx @mdmayfiled. We use EV ELX as our PA speakers in conjunction with Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2. I love those speakers. 

Yes, it is the best way to try them out and hear them instead of pulling an impulse buy. :) I was just wondering if anybody knew, or had experience, with those on GC.