Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Parallel path volume jumps

benlampard

Whenever I make a patch with a parallel signal chain I find the volume jumps substantially.

I'm using 4CM, usually splitting off a portion of the signal to have delay/reverb added before rejoining the signal chain (never skipping over the send/return block).

I've found that even with the FX in the parallel path disabled I'll still have a volume jump in the whole patch.

Any ideas?

If you are using a split, the reason is that there is no pan law employed. In other words, if panned center, there is a 12 dB boost, a doubling of the signal strength.

If you are just using a static split, you should reduce the level of each split by 6 dB, using whatever tool you prefer, and preferably before you hit any amps or fx. If you are using active panning across the split with an exp ped, You can correct this gain problem by using a volume pedal as the first block in each split, set so that it goes to 0 when the signal is panned opposite to it. This puts each split path at 50% (or -6 dB) in the center panned position.

• 1 month later...

If you are using a split, the reason is that there is no pan law employed. In other words, if panned center, there is a 12 dB boost, a doubling of the signal strength.

If you are just using a static split, you should reduce the level of each split by 6 dB, using whatever tool you prefer, and preferably before you hit any amps or fx. If you are using active panning across the split with an exp ped, You can correct this gain problem by using a volume pedal as the first block in each split, set so that it goes to 0 when the signal is panned opposite to it. This puts each split path at 50% (or -6 dB) in the center panned position.

So if I pull delay for example down to a parallel path from reverb - reduce the merge block of the delay by 6db?

So if I pull delay for example down to a parallel path from reverb - reduce the merge block of the delay by 6db?

It's only necessary to reduce if you are actively panning across the split, as with an exp pedal (the way I use them in virtually every patch). Otherwise, the individual split paths will be at the same level as the previous individual path, so no worries.