Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just Threw Down

Because I was so impressed with my Helix, I decided to look for a Variax and see how that will work out in my studio. Just found and bought a used Standard for $350 yesterday. Very clean, came with the battery, charger, an ethernet cable (Not the VDI), USB cable, no case. Check out the strings int pic. They are fluorescent in color and make very little sound and sound "plastic"when playing just acoustically.  Odd that. Wonder how they will sound when connected. I just purchased a new VDI from Musicians Friend about a minute ago. Next need to download the workbench. I have done my homework and just need to verify here some questions before I try this thing out in the studio. For now, I will always be using the Helix; not an amp and/or cab.

Can I:

1) Use the battery for now and connect my Standard to my Helix via the guitar jack?

2) Use the supplied ethernet cable and connect guitar to the Variax connection on the back of the Helix without fear of damage? Or should I be patient an wait for the correct VDI cable? 

1) Use the battery for now and connect my Standard to my Helix via the guitar jack? Yes,... but use a TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve)

guitar cable between the guitar and the Helix.

2) Use the supplied ethernet cable and connect guitar to the Variax connection on the back of the Helix without fear of damage?

NO,... the CAT5 cable that came with the guitar is for connecting to the interface device for using with Workbench HD and to do

firmware updates,... and NOT for playing thru.

Or should I be patient an wait for the correct VDI cable? Yes,... the VDI is for playing thru.

1) Use the battery for now and connect my Standard to my Helix via the guitar jack? Yes,... but use a TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve)

guitar cable between the guitar and the Helix.

2) Use the supplied ethernet cable and connect guitar to the Variax connection on the back of the Helix without fear of damage?

NO,... the CAT5 cable that came with the guitar is for connecting to the interface device for using with Workbench HD and to do

firmware updates,... and NOT for playing thru.

Or should I be patient an wait for the correct VDI cable? Yes,... the VDI is for playing thru.

Looks like I do not have the interface device. Do I need the USB interface to use the WorkbenchHD and do firmware updates? When I get the VDI and connect it Helix, can I use that to see and use the Workbench or am I out of luck without the interface? It would seem feasible as the Helix has a USB output on the back which I could then connect to my computer - yes? 

Need the interface. Go back to where you got the guitar and have them get you one. Shouldn't be that hard for them.

That should have been in your accessories pack along with the CAT5 cable for hooking the guitar to the interface.

Nope - Did not come with it and it was used so therefore GC will not be interested in finding me one. Looks like I will return it GC as the only replacement is $155.00 which makes my great price not so great. Ugh

Anyone else have a USB interface they don't need?

Hate to take this back.

Looks like I do not have the interface device. Do I need the USB interface to use the WorkbenchHD and do firmware updates? When I get the VDI and connect it Helix, can I use that to see and use the Workbench or am I out of luck without the interface? It would seem feasible as the Helix has a USB output on the back which I could then connect to my computer - yes?

Unless I'm mistaken, Variax integration is supposed to be coming in a Helix firmware update. Eventually you should be able to connect to Workbench through Helix, just as we can with the PODs. And if they're not planning to add that feature, it's absurd...might wanna hang in there for a bit.

Thx Cruisinon2. was just reading about that in some other threads. it would make complete sense and be extremely useful to have full Helix, Variax, and Workbench integration with using one cable. Unfortunately, patience is not one of my skillsets.