Spider 4x12 Connection

mmone22

Hello,

I am a little confused on how to connect my Marshall DSL100 head to my Line 6 4x12 cabinet. The Marshall has two 8 ohm jacks and one 16 ohm jack. The cabinet has two 8 ohm jacks: one 8 ohm jack is wired for the right two speakers and the other 8 ohm jack is wired for the left two speakers. How would I connect the Marshall to the Line 6 cabinet without damaging anything? Thanks

• 1 year later...

One thing I'll tell you - the L6 cabinet is not the best choice for that amp.  The L6 speakers are really made for a modeling amp (where the tone comes from the amp/preamp) so that the speakers produce an accurate sound from the source.

I think you are mis-reading the amp manual.  The 8 ohm outputs are 8 ohm and don't combine in series to 16 ohm when using both of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Which DSL is it? does it say JCM2000 dual super lead or does it actually say DSL100H on it? there is 2 different versions of that amp and older on and a newer one

I wouldnt hook that amp to that cabinet without rewiring it first.

If you use 2 cables and hook one cable to each jack from the amp to each jack on the cabinet your going to be running a 4 ohm load i dont think that amp can run at 4 ohms its designed to run at 8 ohms or 16

Ide rewire each pair of speakers in series so one jack is 16, and the other is 16 and mono is 8 instead of all of them running in paralell, its not hard to do and it will be better for your amp.

Bower - the Line 6 cabinet is 8 ohms per side if run in stereo (2 cables).  It's only 4 ohms if you only plug into the left side (mono).

Yeah i know but all Marshall amps have parallel outputs so if he connects both cables the amp will see a 4 ohm total load and what ive seen all the DSL lines have only 8 or 16 ohm loads.

So by running 2 cables from the amp to the cabinet he might as well just be running one to the 4 ohm mono.

fallow me?

If he rewires the speakers inside and each side is 16 ohms per side the mono will be 8 the amp will be happy.

its a simple rewire job imo and it wont risk blowing anything wether its SS or tube.

• 10 months later...

I was too lazy to bring a cab to my other guitarists house to jam, so I used his spider 4x12 cab with my Peavey XXX head. I set the Amp to 4 ohms and ran two cables from the amps speaker outputs into the two 8 ohm speaker jacks on the cab. I believe this is correct as when I run two 16 ohm cabs, I set the Amp to 8 ohms. The problem was that it wasn’t very loud. I had to crank the Amp up over half way and normally it’s only at about 3 or 4. Does this sound right?

• 1 year later...