Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider 4x12 Connection

mmone22

Hello,

I am a little confused on how to connect my Marshall DSL100 head to my Line 6 4x12 cabinet. The Marshall has two 8 ohm jacks and one 16 ohm jack. The cabinet has two 8 ohm jacks: one 8 ohm jack is wired for the right two speakers and the other 8 ohm jack is wired for the left two speakers. How would I connect the Marshall to the Line 6 cabinet without damaging anything? Thanks

• 1 year later...

One thing I'll tell you - the L6 cabinet is not the best choice for that amp.  The L6 speakers are really made for a modeling amp (where the tone comes from the amp/preamp) so that the speakers produce an accurate sound from the source.

I think you are mis-reading the amp manual.  The 8 ohm outputs are 8 ohm and don't combine in series to 16 ohm when using both of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Which DSL is it? does it say JCM2000 dual super lead or does it actually say DSL100H on it? there is 2 different versions of that amp and older on and a newer one

I wouldnt hook that amp to that cabinet without rewiring it first.

If you use 2 cables and hook one cable to each jack from the amp to each jack on the cabinet your going to be running a 4 ohm load i dont think that amp can run at 4 ohms its designed to run at 8 ohms or 16

Ide rewire each pair of speakers in series so one jack is 16, and the other is 16 and mono is 8 instead of all of them running in paralell, its not hard to do and it will be better for your amp.

Bower - the Line 6 cabinet is 8 ohms per side if run in stereo (2 cables).  It's only 4 ohms if you only plug into the left side (mono).

Yeah i know but all Marshall amps have parallel outputs so if he connects both cables the amp will see a 4 ohm total load and what ive seen all the DSL lines have only 8 or 16 ohm loads.

So by running 2 cables from the amp to the cabinet he might as well just be running one to the 4 ohm mono.

fallow me?

If he rewires the speakers inside and each side is 16 ohms per side the mono will be 8 the amp will be happy.

its a simple rewire job imo and it wont risk blowing anything wether its SS or tube.

• 10 months later...

I was too lazy to bring a cab to my other guitarists house to jam, so I used his spider 4x12 cab with my Peavey XXX head. I set the Amp to 4 ohms and ran two cables from the amps speaker outputs into the two 8 ohm speaker jacks on the cab. I believe this is correct as when I run two 16 ohm cabs, I set the Amp to 8 ohms. The problem was that it wasn’t very loud. I had to crank the Amp up over half way and normally it’s only at about 3 or 4. Does this sound right?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I know that this is an old post but just in case someone else runs across it (like I just did) I wanted to clarify.

BowerR64 is correct. If you run both cables from the Marshall DSL100 or the DSL20 (like I have) into the Line 6 V412 cab, the total load will be 4 ohms and thus it will trash your amp. Also, never run the 16ohm single out in combination with either one or both of the other two outputs. 

Since the line 6 V412 cab is stereo, you can use a single Input as an 8ohm from a single 8ohm output of your Marshall if you plug an empty 1/4" adapter into the other jack. I just tested the two jacks on the cabinet with my meter and as long as the 2nd jack has an adapter or a cable plugged into it but not plugged into anything at the other end it will work as an 8ohm 2x12 cabinet.

When both input jacks are used on the cabinet, it severs the connection between the two pairs of speakers, effectively making two 8ohm 2x12 cabs. I actually use two separate heads and run stereo with this cabinet. Some may say that is stupid but given the right heads and setup, I don't need to mess with 2 separate cabinets and the sonic separation when using fx like delay is much more pleasant to my ears even coming from a single cabinet. The mixture of both heads (One Marshall and the other PRS or Mesa) coming from a single cabinet at any distance is a sound I played with and adjusted for a long time to get what I wanted and I can't achieve any other way. I should also note that I am using a Helix with the 7 cable method in the loops of the tube heads and the sounds I can achieve are superb, Also, this is my studio setup, I'm getting too old to be lugging all that around for a live show.