Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible to calibrate built-in expression pedal?

watch4king

I remember my GT-100 had a pedal calibration feature but I can't find it anywhere on the Helix. My pedal seems to be acting up a little. When I move the pedal from the zero position there is a considerable amount of movement before the unit starts registering any changes. I tried from Liner to Logarithmic but it acts up the same. If feels like the pedal doesn't know where the zero position is. It sucks when doing swells as the volume goes from nothing and starts at 40. Also when going from full volume down it goes to zero way before the pedal is all the way down to the heel. Any suggestions?

The pedal calibration is automatic. It essentially re-calibrates every time you power up the Helix. Are you saying that the sweep of the pedal actually starts at 40, or that it just feels that way to you? You should be able to see the value of the level parameter changing as you move the pedal. Where do you have the volume effect located in your signal chain. I use the on-board pedal for volume swells all the time, and have never really had a problem with it.

The pedal calibration is automatic. It essentially re-calibrates every time you power up the Helix. Are you saying that the sweep of the pedal actually starts at 40, or that it just feels that way to you? You should be able to see the value of the level parameter changing as you move the pedal. Where do you have the volume effect located in your signal chain. I use the on-board pedal for volume swells all the time, and have never really had a problem with it.

Phil, 

thanks for the input. I will try to post a video very soon showing the issue. But here's what happens:

The pedal is all the way back to the heel, I start to move it forward slowly and there is no change. The display reads 0. Then after, it realizes it moved and starts at about 25% from nothing and goes smoothly all the way to 100% as I press towards the toe. Then the same happens backwards. If I start to move the pedal towards the heel it doesn't start registering a change until I have moved the pedal at least 1/4" to 1/2". 

Feels like there is play from physical 0 on the pedal to where it actually starts to engage or register a change.

When doing a swell I start slowly and instead of the sound fading in gradually it just jumps out and ll the sudden is at 40% or so. Basically its not gradual.....

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever find a fix for this?  I'm having the same issue.  Start moving from heel up and i can watch it stay at 0% even though the pedal has started to move and then it clicks in after i move a little farther and starts working.  Thanks!

If you move it after first engaging it, does it then act normal or does it do this everytime you sweep through it?

Line 6 has their own way of doing things with expression pedals (and everything else), and thats not always a bad thing. But I do wish DI or someone that the "Wizards" at Line 6 might listen to, would take the time and study/look at what Fractal has done software wise with their expression pedals, and then USE most of these regarding the Expression pedal setup and added sweep curves, percentage of turn on and off, nulls, etc etc...All available for tweaking on within the editor! Fractal really "Nailed" it the right way. 

• Upvote 3

Line 6 has their own way of doing things with expression pedals (and everything else), and thats not always a bad thing. But I do wish DI or someone that the "Wizards" at Line 6 might listen to, would take the time and study/look at what Fractal has done software wise with their expression pedals, and then USE most of these regarding the Expression pedal setup and added sweep curves, percentage of turn on and off, nulls, etc etc...All available for tweaking on within the editor! Fractal really "Nailed" it the right way. 

I love Helix tone but I do a lot of pedal steel emulation and the volume pedal sweep curve is not much fun.  Even using Log taper and pedal at end of blocks, it still comes on way too quickly for my old brain.  I'm just "getting by" with it and having no fun with material I used to not even think about.  

I've been told Fractals are piling up at my synth guru shop since everyone's moving to Helix.  Thanks for the tip, I might have to borrow one and see if it will fit my direct amp bill and lemme tailor a sweep curve more in line with old Ernie Ball VP?  Hell, even the old POD XT live/Pro had a very useable volume pedal taper for this stuff. 

Not so much Helix but I'm probably a minority and L6 surely has bigger fish to fry...  

• 1 month later...

I have had the same issue with the Helix. I pulled up the volume block and found it started at 22% when first opening a any preset and after using the expression pedal it reset to 100%. Talk about blowing some ears out. I had to go into each preset, move the expression pedal full travel and then resave them.

Hope this helps!

A GUI type of graphic (like the software in Fractals Editor) would allow seeing the sweep of the pedal in question. That would be mighty handy I'm thinking, especially if you are experiencing issues. In other words, automatic is fine if it always works. If it doesn't, there's no way in Helix software wise to check it.  :(

• 1 year later...