Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Day 1 G10 Review

DarrellM5

I lucked out and found a G10 in stock at the Platinum Guitar Center in Las Vegas today.  They had two more BTW.

Since I live 4 hours from Vegas I decided to plug the G10 into my car's phone charger.  That way it would hopefully be charged by the time I got home.  Well it only took a few minutes for the light to go solid green so I'm assuming they charge them before shipping.  

I got home and connected it to my system.  I plugged the G10 into a guitar and almost instantly had terrific sound.  I walked all over my 2,000 sq. ft. single story home and didn't experience any dropouts.  Then I decided to try it on all 19 of my guitars and bass guitars.  It worked flawlessly on every one of them except for my Ibanez RGIR27FE 7-string (with active EMG pickups).  I plugged a Female to Male adapter into the Ibanez and the G10 into the adapter and it worked just fine.  BTW, it worked with my ESP LTD MH-401NT, which also has active EMG pickups, without needing the adapter.

One concern I had prior to purchasing the G10 was if I would need to use the Female to Male adapter with my 2016 American Standard Telecaster, which has a recessed output jack.  The G10 fit perfectly without the adapter.

One interesting item is that, although I saw the G10 in video demos and photos, the part that plugs into the guitar is about 50% smaller than I thought it would be.

BTW, these are the guitars I tested:

• 2016 Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • 2016 EBMM John Petrucci Majesty
  • 2015 Charvel San Dimas Type 1 HH
  • 2015 Schecter KM-7
  • 2015 ESP LTD EC-401VF DMZ
  • 2015 Ibanez RGIR27FE (this one needs the adapter)
  • 2014 Schecter Banshee 6 Passive
  • 2014 PRS Custom 24 SE with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
  • 2014 Line 6 JTV-69
  • 2012 Gibson SG Derek Trucks Signature Model
  • 2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • 2004 Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
  • 1992 Jackson Dinky XL
  • 1991 Fender Stratocaster (made in U.S.A.)
  • 1980 Peavey T-60
  • ESP LTD MH-401NT with active EMG pickups (this one works fine without the adapter)
  • Yamaha FG-420-12 Twelve String Acoustic
  • Yamaha TRB305 5-string bass with active electronics
  • Epiphone Thunderbird IV Goth

So I'm impressed and very happy with this purchase.

I went in and reversed the audio ground and battery ground wires on the RGIR27FE output jack and it solved the issue.

All of my guitars now work with the G10 without requiring the female to male 1/4" adapter.

• 2016 Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • 2016 EBMM John Petrucci Majesty
  • 2015 Charvel San Dimas Type 1 HH
  • 2015 Schecter KM-7
  • 2015 ESP LTD EC-401VF DMZ
  • 2015 Ibanez RGIR27FE (this one needs the adapter)
  • 2014 Schecter Banshee 6 Passive
  • 2014 PRS Custom 24 SE with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
  • 2014 Line 6 JTV-69
  • 2012 Gibson SG Derek Trucks Signature Model
  • 2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • 2004 Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
  • 1992 Jackson Dinky XL
  • 1991 Fender Stratocaster (made in U.S.A.)
  • 1980 Peavey T-60
  • ESP LTD MH-401NT with active EMG pickups (this one works fine without the adapter)
  • Yamaha FG-420-12 Twelve String Acoustic
  • Yamaha TRB305 5-string bass with active electronics
  • Epiphone Thunderbird IV Goth
So I'm impressed and very happy with this purchase.
The Gibson SG Derek Trucks Signature model? Is this different than any other SG? I'll try not to step on those names you just dropped! ;0)

Just poking fun at ya!

But seriously folks.....

No problems with drop outs? Do you have any other devices competing on the 2.4 ghz frequency? (Routers, cell phones etc) I'm worried about 2.4ghz interference. It seems to plague the G 70.

The Gibson SG Derek Trucks Signature model? Is this different than any other SG? I'll try not to step on those names you just dropped! ;0)

Just poking fun at ya!

:lol:

(actually it's very different from the other SG models)

But seriously folks.....

No problems with drop outs? Do you have any other devices competing on the 2.4 ghz frequency? (Routers, cell phones etc) I'm worried about 2.4ghz interference. It seems to plague the G 70.

We've got a wireless router and a wifi extender, plus wireless security cameras (gotta protect that Trucks SG  ;) ),  2 cell phones and 3 tablets and 2 laptops.  I only have a few hours of playing time on the G10 but I haven't experienced a single dropout as of yet.

But seriously folks.....

Played a gig on Saturday in a small club with hundred guests. There should be approximately around 80 Smartphones in use and there was a photographer using a lot of flashlights. I recognized no dropouts at all and it was real fun demonstrating the G10 to the other musicians.

Not where you plug it in it ain't!

You have a point there.

Maybe dropout issues are reserved for the G70 unit. Have you read the night mare dropout stories over there?

Yeah, based on that thread I ruled the G70 out really quick.

• 2 weeks later...

i made some tests with Garage band and my amp: laney 15w 

5 tubes

cables : Cordial silent 3m

Adam Hall rolling stones 3m

the g 30 was good

but the g 10 was not good enough for me

not enough trebles

the sound was not warm enough and it's important with a strat 

a little bit cold

so, i prefer my cables and the g 30 

i will return it to the shop

• 4 weeks later...

After hesitating for several weeks, I purchased a Line 6 Relay G10 Friday (July 22) from Guitar Center. It is quite impressive! Very easy to use, compact, and sounds terrific! It is small, charges quickly, provides decent range, and seems well constructed.

I used it extensively over the weekend. About 5 hrs Friday night, nearly all day (10+ hrs with several recharges) Saturday, and for about 7 hrs Sunday. All using 6 guitars without a problem. The sound and signal quality were crystal clear. I found no audible difference compared to using an instrument cable, It provided a rock solid 50' line-of-sight range. I did not try the balanced XLR jack.

Before buying, I was concerned that the Transmitter, protruding from the side jack of my Les Paul, would interfere with resting the guitar upright leaned back against a couch or placed in any of my guitar stands. Fortunately, this all worked fine! Only when seated on the couch, playing the Les Paul, did I need to be cautiously aware of the Transmitter. Even then it was not as much of a protrusion problem as I had initially thought. When plugged into the Sheraton-II Pro (top jack) the Transmitter visibly towers above the guitar, but is out of the way while playing. For both of the above fitments, it still seems that a 90° angled plug G10 version or adapter would be ideal. I also bought a 3rd Party (LiveWire) angled 1/4" TS Female to Male adapter, however, it lacks the Relay G10's convenient collar switch that prevents pops, clicks, hum, etc. from being transmitted when unplugged from the guitar. If I don't find it useful, I'll return the adapter. Perhaps, Line 6 may introduce a 90° G10 version or a switch equipped adapter. On my Strat, the G10 fits nicely in the cradled jack plate. As I do not have the vibrato bar installed, there is no issue with the G10 impeding free positioning of the vibrato bar (as some reports depict).

The Transmitter's sensor switch automatically disconnects the signal when the unit is unplugged from the guitar. The signal resumes promptly when reinserted. Best clear signal channel selection is done when the Transmitter is plugged into the base. The Transmitter's LCD and base's illuminated halo indicates the respective status for charging, standby, channel lock, and low power.

The Transmitter comes partially charged so, charging to a full charge took less than an hour. When inserted into the Receiver/Charging Base, the Transmitter's LED blinks green indicating there is more than 30 minutes of performance in the Transmitter. When the LED reaches steady green the Transmitter is fully charged.

The Transmitter is rated for 8 hours of use and 200 hours standby. After 5 hours of use, I put the Transmitter back into the Receiver/Charging Base and it was back to solid green in less than an hour.

I did discover one quirk with the firmware! The Transmitter conveniently goes into power saving standby mode after 4 minutes of inactivity (no audio) while plugged into an instrument. However, the firmware neither responded the same when left plugged in the base and the power was turned off, nor was the firmware consistent! In one case, it did shut off in about 20 mins. In another case, it began blinking green at the power off plus 20 minute point, and kept blinking green for another 40 minutes, at which point I unplugged then reinserted the transmitter to trigger the 4 minute shut down mode. When plugged into the energized base unit, the Transmitter always begins recharging. Line 6 should update the firmware. The User Guide mentions the USB can be used for updating.

The base unit comfortably sits atop my amp, and must be powered by a USB source (5v, 1Amp). The included charger block comes with easily interchangeable plug plates to accomodate various worlwide territories. Alternatively, any smaller (physically) sized USB power supply (of rated output) or a USB battery pack will suffice. I used a high capacity USB battery pack to power the Relay G10 this weekend while also using my battery powered Yamaha THR10C, a terrific setup! I did find that the base's USB jack seemed a bit feeble. It did not exude the same rugged durable feel when connecting the USB cable as any of the other jacks on the product. Sitting atop my 2x12 or 1x2 amps it is not too exposed, however, on a pedal board or if unplugged and replugged frequently this could be a point of failure. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

After another day and a half using the G10T on a Sheraton-II Pro (ES-335 style body with jack on top), it became quite evident that the towering G10T interfered with quick clear access to the bridge pup tone knob.

Using a 90° angled 1/4" female to male 1/4" TS adapter effectively reorients the G10T to a horizontal position. It now lays down close to the body. A much better position on this style guitar!

If you rarely adjust your bridge tone you may not have any problem. Otherwise, spring for an adapter. They are available from LiveWire, Hosa and others.

BTW, this scenario did not involve any pickup noise, nor ring sleeve battery ground rewiring wiring issues.

• 3 weeks later...

As the firmware 1.03 update announcement thread is locked, I'm posting this here....

Does the mid-Aug G10 firmware release 1.03 ( http://line6.com/support/topic/22340-firmware-v103-for-relay-g10-resolves-blinking-green-led-after-full-charge/) fix the problem of the transmitter (when fully seated in the base unit) starting to blink green after power to the charger base unit is turned off (with a transmitter that had already reached steady green/full charge before the power to the base unit was turned off)?

My daily use system is now Android; Windows is used infrequently. Will this update release correct the situation with my Transmitter (as depicted in my Day 1 post earlier in this thread)? If not, there's no need installing the Line 6 Windows version updater at this time.

The Software Downloads area reports: "At this time, there is no software available that matches your selection." this when the selection of Relay G10 Receiver, G10 Transmitter or Line 6 Updater are chosen for a (legacy) PC running Win XP.

Just learned from Line 6 Tech Support.that there is no WinXP supported method to flash/update the device. Fortunately, I'm nearby and can have them do it at HQ if necessary.

Awaiting word back from Line 6 Tech Support rep, if 1.03 resolved the issue I encountered with the blinking after power-off. Hope to hear back from him in a couple of days....

• 1 year later...

I see most of the reviews are favourable and I would agree. My one exception to all the hoorahs is the micro power jack at the rear of the receiver. My son and I both have the same units and this past summer his receiver's jack developed an intermittent connection. He had to send it in for repair.

This evening, during a gig, my unit lost power and I had to revert to using tried and true cable. It turned out that the micro power jack had acquired a loose 

connection and only worked intermittently. I only use my G10 once a week for about 4 hours and I'm not constantly plugging and unplugging the power micro USB.

If there was ever a "fly in the ointment" for these units, the micro USB is it. Perhaps Line 6 should rethink their design and put in a more robust connection. 

Other than that, I think they are great units.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the G10 today, and will be returning it asap.  The crappy part is I bought it from Guitar Center ( while I was in the area), and that's a 2 hour drive

I plugged the unit in, and got it charged.  everything looked fine until I went to use it .  The receiver quit working.  No indicator light would come on (receiver) , and no sound/signal.

Very frustrated to say the least

• 3 weeks later...

I have been an avid fan of the earlier G30 and then the later G10 wireless units, always worked a treat and gave flawless service with good audio. I had two G10's up until around Oct/Nov last year when I had to move one of them on due to it constantly dropping out. One is used for bass and the other is being used by the rhythm guitarist, that one still works great.

So I managed to pick up a used Shure GLXD16 which is built like a tank, has at least a 6ft power cord and produces great audio along with a host of other good features. The strobe tuner being just one and the fact that it constantly scans for free channels.

Here in the UK the Shure's are around £400.00 to buy, so not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

:)

• 3 months later...

I have used the G10 for almost a year now playing guitar and bass through it with no loss of signal or sound quality. My only problem is the usb power plug is very flimsy and it quit on me yesterday and I had to switch to a cable for the rest of the gig. Wish Line 6 would redesign this and make more robust. Other than this problem the unit works better than any other wireless I have ever used.

• 11 months later...

I bought a Relay G10 about 2 years ago. The connector for the power on the base unit comes out to easily. Happened a few times in a gig situation. Finally, the power conked out on me altogether. I sent it in for repair and it couldn't be repaired so line 6 offered me a new base unit for $239 which is $10 cheaper than buying a whole new unit. Very poor construction and very poor service. I used this unit maybe 15 times and was quite careful with it. Very disappointed in Line 6 at the moment. I do have other line 6 products but probably won't in the future.