Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Broken IEC socket issues

bassguy129

So, I returned from tour just over a week ago, and yesterday went to the practice space to pick up a few things to bring home, my Helix included. The last day of tour we packed the trailer differently due to some gear being left in a different city (long story), so my Helix was put in a different position than before. Every previous pack, it sat on top of my amp head on it's bottom, as such (with the lid on, of course): ANSSK2L.jpg

The last day, however, it sat on the cases side, so all of the I/O connections were face down. Well, somewhere in transport, the 3M dual lock that was holding the helix to the board let go, and it smashed the IEC into the socket. I didn't even notice this until I took the IEC out to reset the Helix back onto the board, and then the cable would't go into the socket. This is what I was met by: eHOw7be.jpg

I'm 99.9999% sure that this isn't covered by warranty, so my options now seem to be to take it to an "authorized repair center", the closest of which is an hour and 20 minutes away, or to fix it myself. Replacing an IEC socket isn't hard in and of itself, but getting to the part is what worries me. Having to possibly take out PCB components to get to it is very no bueno, to me. 

What do you guys think my course of action should be? The repair center obviously stands out as the best choice, but the time and cost involved may be a bit much for me, at the moment.

I'm thinking that's the route I should go. I've seen a few gut pics online, and it seems like the socket is fairly unencumbered by any PCBs, or anything. It also looks like a standard clip system as opposed to soldering, so the replacement should be fairly quick.

So, I returned from tour just over a week ago, and yesterday went to the practice space to pick up a few things to bring home, my Helix included. The last day of tour we packed the trailer differently due to some gear being left in a different city (long story), so my Helix was put in a different position than before. Every previous pack, it sat on top of my amp head on it's bottom, as such (with the lid on, of course): ANSSK2L.jpg

The last day, however, it sat on the cases side, so all of the I/O connections were face down. Well, somewhere in transport, the 3M dual lock that was holding the helix to the board let go, and it smashed the IEC into the socket. I didn't even notice this until I took the IEC out to reset the Helix back onto the board, and then the cable would't go into the socket. This is what I was met by: eHOw7be.jpg

I'm 99.9999% sure that this isn't covered by warranty, so my options now seem to be to take it to an "authorized repair center", the closest of which is an hour and 20 minutes away, or to fix it myself. Replacing an IEC socket isn't hard in and of itself, but getting to the part is what worries me. Having to possibly take out PCB components to get to it is very no bueno, to me. 

What do you guys think my course of action should be? The repair center obviously stands out as the best choice, but the time and cost involved may be a bit much for me, at the moment.

If you go the DIY route you may want to check with L6 to see if that voids your warranty in the event you encounter a more serious issue down the road you can't fix yourself.