Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 2.0 Spank Bug ?

I think I found a bug when using the Spank pickups : each time I store a model using two of those pickups in the "quack" position, one of them is shut down - it appears "on" in workbench, but is actually off. See for yourself :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUEQ6gZsLwo

Maybe it's the source of the issue some users, including me, have with 2.0 "quack" sound ?

• Upvote 3

Haven't noticed it, but don't doubt what you are seeing. I think anyone who observes this and feels it's important should open a support ticket. The more tickets about the same issue, the higher it will move up in the fix-priority chain.

Geez, FWIW, there is a weird bug that when you move a neck pickup to where the bridge normally is, it changes its tab name for you in WB to bridge (hard to explain).

POTENTIAL TEMP FIX!#*#However, it seems that if you keep the bridge p/u where it is and turned off and move the neck p/u to the bridge spot (stack them) and treat it like a bridge p/u (i.e angle 10.7 and position 1.7), you can save your quacky settings! Swapping the bridge for the middle in the same manner seems to work for position 2 sounds.

Another weird thing I just noticed is that I can't hear a tonal difference when cycling through the Strats pickups. It seems that if the P/U is in the neck position it is going to sound like a neck p/u even if you use a "bridge" pickup.

Hi buddy, thanks for your discovery, we need to do something, it is really the bug that is causing all this confusion, it seems to me seriously, looks like a bug caused by the single coils, but it seems to me are not taking it very seriously, I I am also not able to open a ticket, what can we do?

I think I found a bug when using the Spank pickups : each time I store a model using two of those pickups in the "quack" position, one of them is shut down - it appears "on" in workbench, but is actually off. See for yourself :

Maybe it's the source of the issue some users, including me, have with 2.0 "quack" sound ?

I got the quack doing what you said, bringing the neck pickup to the bridge and treating it like bridge, in same-parameters

Happened to me too, but I reflashed until it was gone :D

Well, no, it wasn't gone...
I realized just half an hour ago when I started playing with spank 2 and WTF'd several times until I opened WB and saw what was happening.
So now, thanks to Derek, the quack is back!!

Edited by Inerzia

you have reinstalled the update? continued the bug?

I have reinstalled the firmware 4 or 5 times already, not sure I want to do this again as programming my custom tunings on the dedicated pot is a hassle... Later i'll try the workaround found by others but anyway this need a firmware update ;)

Considering the number of comments in other threads about users being disappointed with the 2 and 4 strat/spank positions, you could really be on to something here. Did anyone get a ticket open yet? I haven't registered mine, but may be worth doing so if it would help push this issue up the chain of command here.

Thanks stevekc, I was able to open a ticket. Let's hope this will be solved quickly ! In the meanwhile, I'll live with the workaround (which I has yet to try) ; I have a gig in 9 days but I won't be using the quack on this one

• Upvote 1

Hello,

Our development team has been made aware of this problem.  We have logged a bug and hope for a fix in a future update.  In the meantime the workaround within Workbench HD is to switch pickup 3 (with identical settings as pickup 1) with pickup 1.  Switching pickup 3 with pickup 2 will also work. The problem occurs only when you make an adjustment using both pickups 1+2.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Line6Hugo -

Thank you very much posting this important update and  for letting us know that Line-6 is aware of the issue and working on a fix! 

Hello,

Our development team has been made aware of this problem.  We have logged a bug and hope for a fix in a future update.  In the meantime the workaround within Workbench HD is to switch pickup 3 (with identical settings as pickup 1) with pickup 1.  Switching pickup 3 with pickup 2 will also work. The problem occurs only when you make an adjustment using both pickups 1+2.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Hello,

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Thanks for the update! That is helpful.

Hello,

Regards,

Line6Hugo

I admit to an incredible level of confusion trying to follow this workaround.  When I tried it, things don't make a lot of sense.  The pickups report themselves incorrectly when clicked in the workbench, I have two on top of each other and the results are not at all good.  It would be great if someone could take the time to make a short video with a _narrated_ step-by-step.  Particularly if this is an officially recommended move.  It may be incredibly obvious to those who have done it, but it sure isn't to me.

I think you can just follow this link: http://line6.com/support/topic/2163-share-and-download-20-h-d-models/

and find your way to the corrected models that you can just upload to the variax.

I admit to an incredible level of confusion trying to follow this workaround.  When I tried it, things don't make a lot of sense.  The pickups report themselves incorrectly when clicked in the workbench, I have two on top of each other and the results are not at all good.  It would be great if someone could take the time to make a short video with a _narrated_ step-by-step.  Particularly if this is an officially recommended move.  It may be incredibly obvious to those who have done it, but it sure isn't to me.

I downloaded  "fixed" Strat2 and Strat4 models the other day, only to find that the "2" didn't have the correct angle on the bridge p/u.  This failed to inspire a lot of confidence, I must admit, and I didn't go any further with them. 

I just tried to access the ones at your link, but they require an account.  Any chance of PM'ing them to me or - better yet - putting them up on custom-tone?

custom tone doesn't support those types of files (never did with the original variax either)

the link is a user provided work around.

i believe that a similar fix was done and put on the forums here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2014-now-available-variax-hd-upgrade-and-workbench-hd-software/page-16?do=findComment&comment=13203

I downloaded  "fixed" Strat2 and Strat4 models the other day, only to find that the "2" didn't have the correct angle on the bridge p/u.  This failed to inspire a lot of confidence, I must admit, and I didn't go any further with them. 

I just tried to access the ones at your link, but they require an account.  Any chance of PM'ing them to me or - better yet - putting them up on custom-tone?

Ok, now I'm even more confused.  I was getting the impression that both Strat2 and Strat4 showed the problem.  Is it only Strat2?  I'll take a shot at uploading that file to my guitar this evening.  Thanks very much for the link!

Just change the position from .8 to 1.7

In my attempt to get a fix out, I let a bug get through. lol... It is guaranteed to work, though with no registration needed.  If you just change the position and listen, you will see this is the case.  

With that said, I am off today and will be changing the preset and making a new post for anyone who cares to download a fix.  I will also be attempting to reflash my JTV as it seems a couple of people fixed the problem this way?

Change the position of... what?  At the risk of appearing extremely dense, I'm still failing to see the entire view of either the problem or the solution.  That said, I do appreciate your efforts at making the remedy available and will try flailing away this evening.  Enjoy your day off - I'm stuck at work :-(.

Okay. I have looked at my preset. I don't see any mistakes.

When you notice the bridge pickup being down near the bridge on preset 2, it is OFF. Ignore it. The middle pickup is now the bridge pickup. Just use your ears. It is very evident that it works as noticed in Fremen's video. If you notice on my position 4 preset the bridge angle is off, ignore it. The pickup is OFF. ;)

Position 2

Position 4

Let me know if you have any troubles with this, but please, listen to it and tell me it doesn't sound better. :)

Hi,

I have a JTV-59 & JTV-69 & it is - in a positive sense of course - bizarre, but I (so far) never experienced the 'Spank bug' ...

The only trouble I had a lot of 'MIDI time-outs' while trying to update with the Workbench USB device.

I solved this with updating my JTV's via my trusty old Vetta II combo - the updates run consistently without a fail - I used the 'double update' procedure as described in the 'JTV 2.0 Try This ...' thread ...

I compared the Spank pos 2 & 4 after the update with the 'working Strat 2 & 4' files & found them to sound similar, i.e. the expected  'quack' is in the house  :)

The only other gripe I have is that the USB device MIDI connection appears to be very flaky - I had & have a lot of instances there I can't get a connection from the JTV to the USB device (blinking red LED on the JTV side of the USB device - yes, I'm using the 1/4" jack to connect to the Vetta to listen back).

Oh yes & one of my favourite presets - Jazzbox 3 - has a noticeably lower volume on the low E string on both of my JTV's (which of course can be adjusted in workbench) - has anyone experienced this as well?

Other than that, version 2 is a definitive keeper for me - all of the the presets have significant more depth, response & detail  :)

Thank you Line 6!

Cheers,

Wolf

as far as i can tell, the only people that end up with the spank issues... are people who have used workbench HD.

Not true... I never used Workbench HD, and I was so unsatisfied with the Spank models that I "downgraded" to 1.9.  While the "quack" from 2 and 4 are important, position 3 is just as important. The new Spank just didn't cut it at all.

As I have posted elsewhere, I loved nearly all of the other HD models. Can't wait until the Strat is fixed...