Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD Pro & HD Pro X - Questions.

PedalFreak94

Hi there :-)

I'm kind of curious about the Pod HD Pro or HD Pro X.

And I have some questions I hope some of you can answer for me  :)

First off, what's the difference between the two units?

Another important feature I need to be able to do, is to assign different effects to different footswitches. As far as I can see an read, I'm able to assign effects to the footswitches, but can I assign more than one effect to one footswitch??

For example, turn on a chorus pedal, turn off an overdrive pedal and switch the amp from overdrive to a clean amp.

I've also been looking at the Line6 FBV3 Controller to control the features of the HD Pro/HD Pro X.

Anyone using that particular model?

Last question - how's the reaction time, when switching through patches? Is it quick enough?

THANKS  :)

Let's see:

The X has a bit more DSP so it can run a few more FX heavy patches.

Yes, multiple assigns to the switches, but you can always patch up or down with the similar patch with what's off and on or any combo therein.

Patch changing is pretty quick - at least on the Bean and HD500 (no HD Pro here but they are pretty much the same DSP wise).

No experience with the FB3.

:D Bill

In addition to what BillBee said, if you're looking to assign effects to more than one switch, kind of the opposite of what you asked, it can't be done. And switching patches might be quick, but you won't get any delay or reverb tails. There will be a sudden interruption in sound.

You could certainly set up a preset to switch chorus on, overdrive off, and overdriven amp to clean. That shouldn't be a problem. The X version would allow you do to this sort of thing much more easily because of the 20% or so extra DSP. Dual amps on the non-X version won't leave much room for much else.

Sorry, can't help either with the controller.

Everything said above, but to clarify: 

You can't run 'more' effects. You can just run more effects. 

Meaning - I am limited to 8 effects per patch. But I am also limited to 100% dsp. The X units have more dsp, but are still limited to 8. The difference being, 8 noise gates doesn't need a lot of power. But 8 delays does. The non-X units may reach their full processing power before reaching the 8 effect limit, so in that case they only get 7. 

Like an elevator. They say things like - you can only old 8 people or 1000 pounds. You can't put 8 200-pound people (1600 pounds) because of the 1000 pound limit. Nor can you put 9 100-pounders (900 pounds) because of the 8 person limit. 

As to switching patches. It is quick. But you are going to hear it. How much of a blip will depend on many factors, most of which will vary based on how you set your patches (volume boosts, delays, etc).

Sadly, that is just a fact of the digital world. I don't know a single device that has a flawless change. I like to associate it with changing the channel of your tv. Old analog sets with old analog cable, you could change the channel instantly. But today, there is always that little bit of a delay before the channel starts up. 

what's the difference between the two units?

If they are both updated to the latest firmware, there is no difference - except for the previously mentioned DSP.

All things software related are the same. The floor units (500 and 500x) are the same way, same software and only minor hardware changes.

can I assign more than one effect to one foot switch??

Yes. And each effect can be turned on or turned off based on how you want it -- such as turning on chorus while turning off distortion.

how's the reaction time, when switching through patches? Is it quick enough?
As mentioned, fast but not instant. I would not suggest switching patches during a song, but as previously mentioned, it can be done.

I thought the biggest difference, besides the DSP horsepower, was the IO. The Pro has a few more options, doesn't it? That's because it's setup more for studio work while the HD500X is more for live work?

He is not asking about the 500X. 

I thought the biggest difference, besides the DSP horsepower, was the IO. The Pro has a few more options, doesn't it? That's because it's setup more for studio work while the HD500X is more for live work?

According to this, the physical differences between the floor versus rack version is the rack version lacks:

1/4" aux input

1/8" stereo cd/mp3 input

onboard expression pedal

1/4" EXP2 input

But the rack version has, while the floor version doesn't:

spdif input

aes/ebu input

internal power supply, with built in switch!