Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

LONG video about patch building :)

chuskey

There were several questions on the FB user group about Helix related stuff, and a request to show the process of building a patch from scratch.  So I decided to do a YouTube video building a patch from scratch and trying to answer as many questions as I could along the way.  

I was pretty surprised when I hit stop and realized I had been going on for over 40 min!  I guess there's just never enough you can say about what the Helix can do :)

Anyway, this covers a lot of bases and would be a good watch for folks starting out and anyone who has questions about setting up routing, different path options, wet/dry, etc.  

• Upvote 2

Forgive me if this is a stupid question..... Is an IR pretty much just another amp/cab? If so, the patch you are creating in the video would be the same as running 2 different amp/cab setups on one signal path? I am a complete novice when it comes to tone creation, and so much of this stuff makes little sense. I have watched the first 15 minutes of your video, and it has helped A LOT! thanks!

Dude!! That was awesome. I know you just went over the basics and didn't really focuus on tone but I am sure you helped a lot of folks here understand the potential of the Helix and get lots of new ideas and options. Thanks!

You're very welcome!  I'm glad it was helpful.  The possibilities with Helix are practically endless :) 

Forgive me if this is a stupid question..... Is an IR pretty much just another amp/cab? If so, the patch you are creating in the video would be the same as running 2 different amp/cab setups on one signal path? I am a complete novice when it comes to tone creation, and so much of this stuff makes little sense. I have watched the first 15 minutes of your video, and it has helped A LOT! thanks!

You're very welcome!  As stated above an IR is essentially just a cab block.  There are companies out there that make impulse responses (IR's) that you can buy and then load those into your Helix.  

Some people prefer them to the built in cabs.  I've done a couple of videos comparing the stock Helix cabs to IR's, and for me and the type of tone I'm going for I'm perfectly happy with the stock cabs.  

There are SO MANY IR's out there that it can also be very time consuming and overwhelming to sift through them and find what you like.  Not trying to dissuade anyone from using IR's, lots of people have found some they love.  Just giving my .02 :)

• Upvote 1

Great video!!!

I liked the lead boost, I had originally used volume on the amp, now I use a simple EQ increasing the level 3 db and just make it turn on and off that block with a foot switch... I will be switching over to your method to save DSP... Thanks!!!

• Upvote 1

Great tutorial with some essential tips!  I also use the output block for a boost that only affects volume and doesn't drive the amp or effects differently and doesn't consume an extra block. I only use a 3db boost though as 6db can be fairly substantial at stage volumes.

I also order my effects a bit differently although experimentation is always great and the order you prefer may be different depending on the sound you are trying to get, as always, use your ears. I tend to usually put a compressor before my distortion as I don't want the compressor squeezing the distorted sound, that seems to kill the dynamics.  I prefer the sound of a distortion being fed by a compressed signal. I also always put my delay before my reverb. I don't want the reverb which is essentially a complex series of delays causing each of these "micro" delays to be delayed again by the delay block. With the delay in front of the reverb I feel I get a more natural reverb sound on the dry and delayed signal from the delay block.

Nice explanation on the parametric EQ, I actually tend to prefer a parametric EQ on the vocal to a graphic although both can be useful but I think the graphic EQ is more tailored to guitar than voice.

I believe all the factory presets have the looper as the final block in a preset and always have it assigned to footswitch #5. If you want to keep your setup consistent and have the looper behave while you switch from preset to preset you may want to mimic the Line6 looper setup.

Of course, all of these are just suggestions and your video does cover a lot of ground, particularly for new Helix users. Well done and thanks!

• Upvote 1

Great video!!!

I liked the lead boost, I had originally used volume on the amp, now I use a simple EQ increasing the level 3 db and just make it turn on and off that block with a foot switch... I will be switching over to your method to save DSP... Thanks!!!

Thanks man!  I'm glad the video was helpful with the lead boost tip.  I love the fact that there are always several ways to accomplish any goal with Helix.  It's so flexible, which is great for us who like to geek out on all the options :)

Great tutorial with some essential tips!  I also use the output block for a boost that only affects volume and doesn't drive the amp or effects differently and doesn't consume an extra block. I only use a 3db boost though as 6db can be fairly substantial at stage volumes.

I also order my effects a bit differently although experimentation is always great and the order you prefer may be different depending on the sound you are trying to get, as always, use your ears. I tend to usually put a compressor before my distortion as I don't want the compressor squeezing the distorted sound, that seems to kill the dynamics.  I prefer the sound of a distortion being fed by a compressed signal. I also always put my delay before my reverb. I don't want the reverb which is essentially a complex series of delays causing each of these "micro" delays to be delayed again by the delay block. With the delay in front of the reverb I feel I get a more natural reverb sound on the dry and delayed signal from the delay block.

Nice explanation on the parametric EQ, I actually tend to prefer a parametric EQ on the vocal to a graphic although both can be useful but I think the graphic EQ is more tailored to guitar than voice.

I believe all the factory presets have the looper as the final block in a preset and always have it assigned to footswitch #5. If you want to keep your setup consistent and have the looper behave while you switch from preset to preset you may want to mimic the Line6 looper setup.

Of course, all of these are just suggestions and your video does cover a lot of ground, particularly for new Helix users. Well done and thanks!

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions!  

You make good points about fx order and impact.  The patch for this video wasn't really made with any tone considerations in mind, but I'm going to go back to my actual presets and play around with your suggestions.  I don't remember how I ordered my reverb/delay, but I know I have my compressor after the distortion.  I'm going to play around with that and see how I like having it in the chain first.  

Always new tricks to learn :)