Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I have to vent....

ricoustic101

Are you f'ing serious, Line 6.  I can't use Gearbox for my Pod X3 Live and my new Variax Standard to save the guitar models to the patch that I create??????  Oh, I know, it'll work with a newer pedal.....but here's the thing...I DON'T WANT a newer pedal.  I'm perfectly happy with my X3 Live

Great product, but I'm starting to question your customer service and management skills......

Saving JTV patches can be done thru Workbench HD and the interface device (and cables)

that came with the Variax Standard.

Gearbox should open on an X3 Live. I run both on my bench to test Variax, JTV's and Standards.

I save patches using Workbench (for Variax and pre v2.00 JTV's) and use Workbench HD (for

v2.00 or later JTV's and Standards).

All on PC with Windows 7.

This isn't to save patches to the guitar...this is to create a patch on the Pod X3 (i.e. using a Fender amp and tube screamer with a leslie mod and digital delay) and then assigning Spank pickup position 1, or Semi pickup position 3, etc...to that X3 patch so that when I hit the foot switch to call up that patch it changes the guitar automatically......

Yes, I understand that I'll have to learn how to do it direct on the pedal itself...and that is the point......Gearbox was a great graphical user interface....able to set up the X3 Live easily and intuitively without having to dig through the menus on the pedal itself.  Why take away good functionality?

Why take away good functionality?

Well, depends on who's doing it. When it's the gov't, it's called "progress". When it's a private company, it's code for "throw that out and buy our new stuff". Either way, you lose. Strap in...life is a bumpy ride. ;)

He doesn't need to throw anything out. It's just about learning a few inner details of function.

I own four JTV's and two X3 Lives, and have no problems with using them in conjunction with

Gearbox, or Workbench. I just had to get deeper into the manual for certain function on the Edit page.

• 5 years later...

I recently bought a used X3 Live and have the problem of selecting the Models from my JTV-69. The JTV Models selects well with my XT Live and am able to see Tyler in the Variax select window, unfortunately it shows DON'T FORCE MODEL in my X3 Live. I tried Gearbox to set it and it does not work also. Tried manually also but DON'T FORCE MODEL appears.   I have tried to search for this thread http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/87862/ as suggested but could not find it, maybe this thread is too old, I have tried many ways to get the X3 Live to see the Tyler but to no avail, can anyone help, the Firmware on the X3 Live is 2.01 so its updated and JTV is 2.1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:38 PM, Marcus_Lumier1 said:

I recently bought a used X3 Live and have the problem of selecting the Models from my JTV-69. The JTV Models selects well with my XT Live and am able to see Tyler in the Variax select window, unfortunately it shows DON'T FORCE MODEL in my X3 Live. I tried Gearbox to set it and it does not work also. Tried manually also but DON'T FORCE MODEL appears.   I have tried to search for this thread http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/87862/ as suggested but could not find it, maybe this thread is too old, I have tried many ways to get the X3 Live to see the Tyler but to no avail, can anyone help, the Firmware on the X3 Live is 2.01 so its updated and JTV is 2.1

The thing is ….. the JTV series of Variax guitars was released long after the POD XT and X3 series of processors and Line 6 has been very clear from the beginning that the newer JTV series is not supported by the XT or X3 processors. Anything that works (such as with your XT Live) is a coincidental bonus and does not mean that it should, or will, work with the X3. 

Unfortunately, there is no solution that will make your X3 Live support your JTV. It is simply not supported. If something happens to work, bonus. If it doesn’t there’s nothing you can do to make it work.

Marcus,... assuming you are using a VDI cable to connect, "Don't Force" allows selection from the guitar,

"Force" selects guitar models from X3 Live presets. Still use an X3 Live at my repair bench, and use it for

testing JTV's. Double check the settings in your edit page.

Gearbox apparently is supported up to Windows 8 or Mac OS Lion.

Yes I know, but it has no JTV models shown in the input even though I set it to Variax. But when I plug in my 300 or 600, its there. I don't see anything about the Variax in the manual, only the Input is where I can choose the instruments, I set it to guitar and VX1 or only Variax and still do not see the JTV but the older 300 works. There is no pre-selected guitar in the screen, just blank, if I connect a 300 it will show that its connected but not the JTV. Is it a software or firmware problem, can I download another firmware to address this?

On 4/22/2022 at 10:54 PM, Marcus_Lumier1 said:

Yes I know, but it has no JTV models shown in the input even though I set it to Variax. But when I plug in my 300 or 600, its there. I don't see anything about the Variax in the manual, only the Input is where I can choose the instruments, I set it to guitar and VX1 or only Variax and still do not see the JTV but the older 300 works. There is no pre-selected guitar in the screen, just blank, if I connect a 300 it will show that its connected but not the JTV. Is it a software or firmware problem, can I download another firmware to address this?

Yes, the X3 Live supports the pre-JTV Variax models but, as I mentioned before, does not support the JTV series, Having said that, some functions such as model selection do seem to work in some circumstances (as you’ve discovered with your XT Live) but that seems to be sporadic. Some units work and some don’t but it’s not officially supported and is a bonus, not a guarantee. As you’ve discovered your particular X3 device will not change the Variax models. There is no firmware update that will ‘fix’ this because it’s not a bug. It was a decision by Line 6 many years ago to not upgrade the X3 series to support the Variax JTV series. That’s just the way it is - nothing you can do. If it doesn’t work now it’s not going to by any means. 

Note that some X3 Live devices DO by chance work with respect to changing models in the JTV. I can’t explain it but clearly psarkissian uses one. Yours doesn’t.

@psarkissian - my understanding is as described above. If that is incorrect, please let us know.

I suppose there’s something that’s worth a try…. The latest version of JTV firmware is v2.23. The updates since the v2.1 that you currently have installed on your JTV are geared to the more recent Variax Standard and Shuriken models but they are also compatible with the JTV series. Who knows? Maybe updating to the latest firmware will wake up the JTV to respond to the X3Live. Before updating use Workbench HD to make backups of any custom models you have made.

Along the same vein of thinking, there’s no harm in reinstalling firmware v2.01 in turn X3 Live. Similarly, use Gearbox to back up the tones in your X3 first.

If things still don’t work I think you’re just out of luck.