Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone Port Ux8 Channel 2/6 Clipping?

Hi guys, had a tonport ux8 for years, record my band playing with with it all the time and get great results,

Lately whilst mixing demos I noticed channel 2 and 6 have been playing up. The issues are clipping sounds and sometimes the volume dips constantly. It's only affected these two channels. There's nothing loose in the interface so I don't think it's been damaged at all.

Only things I thought that may be causing the issue is either the two preamps are somehow damaged or it could be a driver issue maybe? Hoping for the latter of course as I wouldnt have a clue on how to get the interface repaired or replaced now they aren't made anymore.

Any one got any ideas on what the problem could be and how I could resolve it?

Thanks!

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I downloaded the monkey and updated to the most recent drivers, checked the ticks, all green, then tested it again and the problem was still there which leads me to believe it's unlikely to be the drivers afterall =/

I have a little recording of the sound problem, I can link you to it if you like? May give you a clearer idea of what the problem is. A friend of mine said it sounds like the channels are gated somehow, sounds like they can't tell when to be quiet or loud and keep having big volume shifts

Yes, channels 2 and 6 are the one's that play up. I did think it could be a mic cable but then again the chances of us using the same cable must be slim, we never use the same cables per channel. if it is a dirty pot how do I go about cleaning it? I did take the lid off the interface and everything looked alright from what I could see.

Have you tried the 2 mics in different channels or something that is known working on other channels in i2/6?

Also check all your connects, especially where mics are connect to cables.

If you can access the pots you could try a quality contact cleaner.

Hopefully it's not a bad connection in the hardware like a cold solder joint.

You might also try an XLR to 1/4 inch adapter to try an isolate the issue.

We know it's 100% not the mics as we've tried them on different channels and they all work fine, I think the pots is seemingly the most likely thing at the moment (i hope so anyway)

with the XLR to 1/4 idea that means using the 1/4 inch inputs above the XLR ones yes? I've just tried that and unless I'm meant to enable them instead of the XLR inputs (no idea as I've never used them before) I'm not getting any signal or sound when played back.

The 1/4 are line level, so you might need a mic preamp, and if you have condenser mics you would definitely need something to supply phantom power.

While you are experiencing the issue gently wiggle the cable where it connects to the XLR socket.

Also work the pot min to max.

Does one or the other make the issue worse?

I've just tried the moving pot back and forth on channel 2 and it does seem to make a heck of a difference, it would make sense if there's just dust in the pots, I get this with my amp sometimes so it's possible it's the problem here too. How exactly do dusty pots make crackles and volume problems?

I'll try repeating this test on channel 6 and let you know if it works on that channel too, hopefully you've found the problem! :)

I believe you hit the nail on the head! Seems to have sorted the problem, bit of contact cleaner should solve it properly, thanks for the help, never would have realised it was something so simple otherwise! Thanks again :)