Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Reboot Loop Problem

chuskey

I had an issue with my HD500 this weekend and wanted to get some opinions. 

I was rehearsing for a gig this weekend and all of a sudden my HD500 starting rebooting.  It would reboot, then come up to the preset screen and stay on anywhere from 10-20 seconds to maybe a minute at the most before rebooting again.  

At this point I had to leave the house and got back about 20 min later.  I plugged the HD500 back up holding the left arrow button to do a global reset.  It would boot up to the Line 6 logo screen then automatically reboot.  It never got past the Line 6 logo.  

So then I booted into safe mode and reflashed the firmware.  

When I rebooted it again I got the same thing, it wouldn't get past the Line 6 logo.

I'm in a bit of a panic at this point because I have a show the next day and need my HD500!  Luckily a friend of mine also has one and let me borrow his.  

I go to get it and I'm back in maybe an hour and a half.  I decided to boot up my HD500 again just to see if there's any change.  Low and behold it boots up like nothing is wrong.   

I ended up using the HD500 I borrowed just in case, but I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with mine.  I'm glad it's working now, but I'm nervous about it acting up at a gig.  

The only other time I've had an issue with my unit was about a month ago right before a gig it reboot on it's own.  But it came right back up and no further problems until this weekend,  

I've got it sitting on my desk at work today and I'm going to try leaving it on all day periodically changing patches just to see if it acts up again.  

Has anyone else had this happen intermittently like this?  I don't want to have to replace it, but I have to know I can count on it.  If it's relevant I bought it new at the end of 2010.  

Thanks! 

I forgot to mention it, but when I got back from borrowing the other HD I powered mine up using his power supply.  It booted up perfectly normal at that point.  I then used my power supply on his, and switched them around a few times, but everything worked fine.  I wish I would have tried it again with my power supply before his just to see. 

If there's a problem with the power supply it's not happening all the time.  Is there any other way to test for this?  I'd be more than happy to only have to replace the power supply!  

Compare using the power supplies of the two HD500 units (assuming you have both PSU cables/warts) on both HD devices. Is it possible that there's a problem with your original power supply?

Compare using the power supplies of the two HD500 units (assuming you have both PSU cables/warts) on both HD devices. Is it possible that there's a problem with your original power supply?

I guess that means you no longer have both power supplies? A failing power supply can be an intermittent problem - that's why sometimes it will not power up at all, and sometimes it will work fine for a while and then suddenly attempt to reboot. The easiest way to test is to use two power supplies; other ways are more invasive. Can you borrow your friend's again?

I'm sure he'd let me.  One thing to mention is that it's never not powered on, just the rebooting.  

I just remembered one other thing I forgot about, and maybe this will be telling.  When it was rebooting I noticed the green light on the power supply would be blinking.  I don't know if that was just because the unit was rebooting and temporarily wasn't drawing power or not.  I wish I could remember if it was blinking the whole time, or just when it was actually just rebooting.  I was in a bit of a panic when this started happening and still trying to finish rehearsal.  So I didn't have a chance to really pay attention to that.  

When I was reflashing it I didn't think to check this.  

I guess that means you no longer have both power supplies? A failing power supply can be an intermittent problem - that's why sometimes it will not power up at all, and sometimes it will work fine for a while and then suddenly attempt to reboot. The easiest way to test is to use two power supplies; other ways are more invasive. Can you borrow your friend's again?

• 4 weeks later...

I think I found the missing variable that was causing my reboot problem.  

The last few weeks I've had no problem with my HD500, but I had to go into calibration mode this weekend to get the expression pedal right.  When I rebooted it I was getting the same rebooting loop that I had before.  

For some reason the first thing I tried was unplugging the Variax and it rebooted fine and worked great.  Once it was back up I could reconnect the Variax no problem.  

Apparently there's something about the Variax (JTV-59) being connected during reboot that randomly causes problems.  Doesn't do it every time, but after it happening 2-3 times I can verify that the Variax being disconnected fixes the problem.  

• 2 months later...

I never had a problem with my HD500 until I got a JTV-59 last week. Now it has rebooted twice. Just rebooted, not looped.

At both occasions the VDI Cable was plugged in. The first time happened right after using the tuner (which were very slow and unresponsive at the time). The second reboot happened today. The VDI-Cable was connected to the HD500 but not to the Variax. I was using the guitar input and Workbench HD on the computer. A patch change on the HD500 made it reboot.

So, I'm thinking that maybe the PS is too weak to handle the VDI Cable? As noted, everything works fine if VDI Cable is not plugged in.

Since I've replaced my VDI cable with a new one I haven't had a single reboot.  Thankfully that seems to have corrected the issue and was the cheapest variable that could have gone wrong.  

It seems like I remember having a couple of random reboots in the months leading up to my reboot loop problem. 

Probably worthwhile for you to try a different cable.  You could probably just use a regular cat 5 cable just to test this out. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tip chuskey

I will take a cat 5 with me and use if the HD500 starts to act up again. Today I practised with the band for Three hours using the Variax and VDI Cable. Nothing bad happened. The only thing I changed was to set input 1 to Variax and input 2 to guitar. I had it the other way around when the unit rebooted, but I don't think it matters at all.

By the way, the HD500 built-in tuner will only recognise the Variax if it is routed to input 1. No signal if Variax is on input 2 only. Is this normal?

Today I found out that every time the HD500 is powered on with the VDI Cable connected it will freeze for a few seconds and then reboot once when I use any footswitch. :angry: After the reboot everthing seems to work as intended.

Power on without the VDI Cable - no problems.

chuskey seemed to have this happen too. I will try with other cat 5 Cable tomorrow.

Confirming that my HD500 reboots whenever a RJ45 Cable (tried a few different) is connected to the Variax input during power on. Sometimes it just reboots by itself, other times I need to hit a footswitch first.

At least the HD500 is stable after the reboot. But I'm not happy.

• 2 months later...

My HD500X has also started randomly rebooting.  I don't have a Variax . . .just playing a Strat into guitar in 1, and monitoring with headphone output.  Sometimes it lasts a half hour or more before rebooting, and sometimes it will reboot a couple of times in a row.  The light on the power supply STAYS ON when the unit reboots, and the other equipment on that same power outlet stays on.

• 5 months later...

I have been having this problem for a while now. Whenever Variax (700) is plugged into HD500 on power-up the HD500 continuously cycles around the boot logo.

As soon as I remove the Variax cable the HD500 will boot. I can then plug the cable back in.

Bit of a pain. Did anyone find an answer to this?

Sorry for double post - forum crashed on enter...

Hi there, I have been experiencing this issue for quite a while now.

Whenever HD500 is power-up while Variax (700) is plugged in, the HD500 will cycle endlessly around the boot logo.

If I unplug the Variax, the HD500 will then boot normally and I can then plug the Variax back in.

Did anyone find a proper answer to this?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for double post - forum crashed on enter...

Hi there, I have been experiencing this issue for quite a while now.

Whenever HD500 is power-up while Variax (700) is plugged in, the HD500 will cycle endlessly around the boot logo.

If I unplug the Variax, the HD500 will then boot normally and I can then plug the Variax back in.

Did anyone find a proper answer to this?

I simply switched out the VDI cable for a new one.  I haven't had this issue since.  

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im suffering with similar issues.  I have recently just bought a used Variax 700 Electric.  The cable was the original and a little short so I decided to have a new one.  The HD500 now just loops around the boot up screen if the variax is plugged in, and this doesn't happen with the old cable. I have to boot up with the variax disconnected.

• 4 months later...

Anyone solve this issue ??
I've had a Variax 700 for years now .. just got me a POD HD500.

Every time I connect it using the DVI is reboots and gets in to a boot-loop.
Tried a few ethernet cable, didn't work.
went thru the connectors (rj45s) to see that they're all intact. NOTHING.

Any help would do.
Cheers.