Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to update JTV firmware?

please right go to replies.

Hi, I read this post to update my jtv's firmware.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/variax-reflash-and-software-update-instructions-r103

In the instruction, there is Flash memory.

post-1849032-0-98029400-1466656658_thumb.png

But my computer doesn't show it.

post-1849032-0-97456300-1466656804_thumb.png

As you see, top-left of Line6 Monkey, the computer acknowledges my "Variax USB interface",

but why there is no "Flash memory" ??

I just want to update with this vxf file (latest 2.21 version).

post-1849032-0-03848200-1466657011_thumb.png

Also Workbench HD (2.12 version) says "No connection"

because JTV firmware version is lower than 2.00

ã…¡ã…¡ã…¡ã…¡ã…¡ã…¡ã…¡ã…¡

that red light keeps blinking. Is that normal?

post-1849032-0-64781300-1466657585_thumb.jpg

Do I have to install more software?

What can I do?

Failed #4] update  firmware to 2.21 (latest version) but still workbench HD  question marked all.

Reinstalling workbench HD doesn't work.

-when Variax system turns on, Tune knob and Guitar model selector knob didn't work.

-Tried to physically factory reset (using pickup switch middle, press and hold while plug in guitar cable, and so on) but didn't work.

Is your JTV Battery fully charged?

I still have an HD500 which acts as interface and power supply for the JTV and have never had a problem, but when upgrading firmware it is possible that more power is needed than for normal operations - I wouldn't want to risk the power dropping low in the middle of an update.

[to be absolutely clear about this - the JTV has a fixed Built In Operating System (BIOS) as well as the Firmware which means that it will always support a Firmware update and cannot be "bricked" through failed firmware updates]

Is your JTV Battery fully charged?

I still have an HD500 which acts as interface and power supply for the JTV and have never had a problem, but when upgrading firmware it is possible that more power is needed than for normal operations - I wouldn't want to risk the power dropping low in the middle of an update.

[to be absolutely clear about this - the JTV has a fixed Built In Operating System (BIOS) as well as the Firmware which means that it will always support a Firmware update and cannot be "bricked" through failed firmware updates]

No, below 50%. 

Process stops right after variax system automatically turns off. (almost simultaneously)

Maybe battery is the reason. 

I tried several times and

Now I finally upgraded to 2.21 and

Workbench HD works fine.

(Using USB back port of my PC)

*Only T Model-2 // special-3 // R-Billy 1 // Semi-4 // are shown as question mark.

but I click "download from Variax" individually, and now all of the Model shows correctly.

Ok, so by now you've figured out that the USB dongle sucks, and is wildly unreliable. If you have access to one, you can connect to Workbench through a POD...infinitely more stable connection. I gave up on the dongle long ago.

I hoped HD300 or HD400 has VDI connector, but it doesn't.

I don't think I can use HD500 full functionally so I don't need it right now.

But still I want to get a stable power supply.

1) Connect the JTV, interface and computer as you normally would to do an update.

2) Put in a fully charge JTV battery into the battery compartment.

3) Insert a TRS (Tip/ Ring/ Sleeve) 1/4" headphone adapter or short patch cord into the 1/4" jack

to engage the battery. There will be a click sound coming from a switch in the guitar and the LED

will turn green when it engages the circuitry.

4) When both LED's turn green, proceed with the update process.

If at anytime during the update process, one of the LED's starts blinking red, unplug and then re-plug in the 1/4" TRS plug

and lick on change device. This re-initializes the device in Monkey. When both LED's are green, do the update again.

• 3 weeks later...

Pain in the butt.  You need to install Workbench HD first so it can install the drivers for the USB connector.  Make sure nothing is connected during this install.  Next install latest Monkey.  Follow all the instructions above and it should see your JTV.  It will ask you which device you want to connect, the USB or the Tyler.  Make sure you choose the Tyler. 

Lets get the Helix working with this now!  Or better yet a set of HX models and new firmware for the JTV!

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to update the my JVT firmware WITHOUT a charged battery?

A few days ago I purchased JVT-69 but it did not come with a charger. I've arranged to get one, but it will be at least a week before it arrives. I attempted to upgrade the firmware from 1.7 to 2.2 with it plugged into a Pod with a VDI cable. Although Workbench  and the Pod both now recognize it as being the 2.2 firmware, Monkey says that the update failed and Workbench now displays "?????..." where the modle info should be. 

My reading on the matter suggests that the battery is in fact necessary for a successful flash process, but I thought I would ask the community if any of you have had success updating the firmware without a battery, and if so, what was your process? 

Alternatively, can any one suggest a method of restoring the original firmware without a battery?

As an owner of the helix and HD500X, I use the HD500X to update my 69s and 59 firmware without a battery, so it can be done. I would like to see line6 make it possible with the helix, but it took a couple of years to make it possible with the helix to use HD Work bench. I still hold hope though. I have used the USB interface, but don't like to.

Dave

• 3 years later...