Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 with acoustic guitar

rv1970

Has anyone tried the G10 on an acoustic guitar?

I own 2 basses, 1 strat, 2 acoustics.

One is handmade with LR Baggs (active, saddle pickup and microphone)

Other one is a Gibson J200 with Fishman (active, installed by previous owner, no volume controls)

Strat and basses work very well!

Both acoustics produce an interference noise. Like ground problem with cable.

Tried different locations and different amp systems.

I read G10 can be used in acoustic also.  :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same issue here - high-pitched interference from the G10.  Placing my whole hand over the transmitter greatly reduces the noise, so I know it's the G10.

An interesting observation, however:  I used the G10 for a while on this same guitar, but with a different pickup (B-Band under-saddle - replaced since it went bad).  The newer pickup (direct replacement from B-Band) has a braided shielded cable, and it's only after the pickup switch that the interference began.  The old pickup had a non-shielded cable.  I've tried putting a jumper ground on the braid, attached to the preamp, and no change in the problem.  Also just now tried the adaptor trick - no change.  In fact, the interference might have been slightly worse.

Unfortunately, I choose the guitar over the wireless, so it looks like I'll be going back to being tethered to my pedalboard.

I use LR Baggs M1A (active) and M1 (passive) and they both work fine. I also have a Taylor with the Expression 2 system (piezo under saddle, active), and that works fine as well. 

So at least some systems work perfectly with acoustic pickups of varying types.

It also works perfectly with my passive electics - Gibson, Fender et al.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a 6" extension cable and it solved the noise issue. I think the active pickup was not shielded that well and the g10 was picking up some kind of interference when it was too close to the active electronics.

It worked for me, hopefully this will help someone else.

• 8 months later...

Does G-10 transmit a balanced (trs) signal like Taylor guitars use?

I don't think so. The G10 transmitter does have a TRS male, but I believe the ring is used for charging the battery when it is in the receiver base. It is not for audio signal. 

• 2 months later...

Well, yes, technically, you could be wireless with either instruments. It's just that both outputs will be active all the time, so they'll be sending the signal to the PA and the bass amp regardless of whether you're playing bass or acoustic.

I share a bass amp with another band member. We have an A&B switch that selects his bass guitar when he plays bass and my U-Bass when I play bass. I think this would solve the issue of the signals being sent to both PA (guitar) and amp (my U-Bass) at the same time. Yes?

That would solve the problem of the acoustic being sent to the bass amp, but you would still have the issue of the bass being sent to the acoustic channel on the PA.

I switch from acoustic guitar to bass. Because there are two outputs in the back of the receiver (1/4" and XLR) can one be connected to a PA and the other to a bass amp? Then with two transmitters (one on the acoustic guitar, the other in the bass), could I be wireless with either instrument?

The tricky part is the two transmitters. You cannot manually assign frequencies, so you have to try to trick them to both assign the same frequency so that they both communicate to the single receiver base unit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

Hey guys. We'd be interested to know if the issue is resolved by using the adapter pointed out in this article: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/relay-g10-guitar-compatibility-fitelectronics-r817

the angled metal one works on all my active guitars. the only real problematic one is my shadow system for maccaferri guitars. the circuit box has the plug on it and the transmitter being so close induces noise. For that you'll need an extension cable to put it away or just use a regular cable. Besides that all my active acoustics work, also my ATG equipped guitar.

I suggest you to buy 2 or more of these plugs, the male plug part is inserted into the female cylinder and is not soldered. So one of them already came off.

I bought some more for that reason, and I'm gonna try soldering one to see if it helps.