Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using my Helix live!

Mojo505

Had a question on using my helix live. Want to run it through my old 4x12. I read somewhere that I could use a power amp to go directly in to the cab without having to use another amp. On the other hand ive debated buying a powered speaker and just running through that. I'm kinda stuck. What does everyone think?

Three options (well four but I'll come on to that)

Option 1 use your amp heads FX return (bypasses the preamp) and eq to taste

Option 2 get a dedicated power amp like a matrix or a Fryette (or my personal favourite a Marshall 9100)

Option 3 get a line 6 stage source or some other FRFR (full range speaker)

Option 4 ignore the amp modelling use your amp and have a kick lollipop effects box

I ran my Helix into the FX return of my Victory V30 tube amp, then into a guitar cabinet, for about a month. I got acceptable results, but I was just using pre amp models in the Helix and no cab models or IR's. I didn't feel I was getting the full potential of the Helix, so I broke down and bought an active 12" FRFR. Now I'm using full amp models and third party IR's and my sound is kick azz.

I'm carrying the same amount of gear in and out of gigs. It used to be an amp/cab and large pedal board, now it's the active monitor and Helix. I had good tone before, but my tone potential is so much broader now.

I just go into FOH and let the sound engineer give my signal to me via the on stage monitors.  I worked long and hard to get the Helix in a state where my sound board guitar channel eq is ran at 12 o'clock.  For me it is just a matter of making sure my FOH mix is set to match the stage mix I receive.  Talk about a small foot print to care on stage ... amazing.  In addition, I have recently downloaded the IRs someone put up and am testing each one.  Last night at rehearsal the other guitarist was blown away by how the Helix sounded "like a real amp".  In fact he used his physical amp at rehearsal and my tones had more warmth.  So, as a side bar, I will be sending the creator of the IRs from this forum some love $$$ soon.

Dennis

• Upvote 1

I just personally think anything less than a really decent FRFR speaker is wasting a LOT of the potential in the Helix.

I understand how some people can miss the big air movement from a big guitar cabinet, but sound-wise it just can't compete with the tonal palette an FRFR speaker provides.  I was doing this before with my HD500X so I've long since adjusted.  But once you adjust your ears to the sound it's amazing the studio-like quality you can achieve on-stage in a live environment.  I don't think I could ever go back. 

If you are going to go to FOH direct, you really want a trustworthy FRFR monitor to use for monitoring and for making patches.

If you are going to mic that guitar cabinet, get one of the aforementioned power amps.