Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Some Advice to replicate Boss Slow Gear

ncockerill

Hey Helixers!  Any advice on how this might be replicated in the Helix?  

A little context.  Doing a cover of U2's With or Without You.  The beginning guitar part is normally performed by The Edge with the use of an eBow.  This creates constant string vibration and a very smooth sounding "infinite sustain".  I don't have an eBow -- but might spring for one.

Before I do that, I've actually programmed a patch with a series of delays that comes extremely close to replicating that infinite sustain.  However, as the note(s) eventually decay, I will have to occasionally pick the string again. I'm being a bit picky (aren't most guitar players) -- and I don't like the sound that the pick attack creates for this particular part.

On my Boss GT-100, there was a cool effect called "Slow Gear", which produced a neat swell effect without pick attack. Any advice on how this might be replicated in the Helix?  Prefer not to use the volume pedal as it kills the current sustain.

Make sense?

No, there is no way to directly do an auto volume swell. Best way to accomplish that would be to put the volume control near the start of your chain (before the delays) or use the volume knob on the guitar to roll the volume off and on.

Or can use an external pedal - perhaps your GT100 if you've still got it - in an FX loop near the front of the chain.

What do you mean, when you say the a volume pedal kills the current sustain ? 

It is exactly the same as the Auto Swell - just without the auto. Of course you have to put the vol block before the delays...

Yeah -- that sounded confusing -- sorry.  What I meant was that with Slow Gear, you could continue to pick notes while the previous note was still sustaining - but you since you don't hear the pick attack, it sounds like the note never decays.  If I use the volume pedal, the current note that is sustaining dies (I'm cutting the volume).  I guess the best way to describe what I am looking for is "infinite sustain" without having to constantly pick.  Perhaps I should just get an eBow -- probably why people use them in the first place.

Bass player and drummer says it sounds great as-is.  But they are probably just tired of me dicking with the Helix.   :D

Hey Helixers!  Any advice on how this might be replicated in the Helix?  

A little context.  Doing a cover of U2's With or Without You.  The beginning guitar part is normally performed by The Edge with the use of an eBow.  This creates constant string vibration and a very smooth sounding "infinite sustain".  I don't have an eBow -- but might spring for one.

Before I do that, I've actually programmed a patch with a series of delays that comes extremely close to replicating that infinite sustain.  However, as the note(s) eventually decay, I will have to occasionally pick the string again. I'm being a bit picky (aren't most guitar players) -- and I don't like the sound that the pick attack creates for this particular part.

On my Boss GT-100, there was a cool effect called "Slow Gear", which produced a neat swell effect without pick attack. Any advice on how this might be replicated in the Helix?  Prefer not to use the volume pedal as it kills the current sustain.

Make sense?

I actually submitted this idea a while back.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-Slow-Gear-SG-1/818934-23508

If you get a good patch please let me know or vote up my idea or both.

Dennis

Voted up, Dennis!  Would be a nice addition.

Looks like we are not alone in the request.  Interesting read ...

https://reverb.com/news/pedals-in-need-of-a-reissue?_aid=newsletter&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=fef4b61a38-rn16_160626_content&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5889ed6702-fef4b61a38-56114865

LOL

Dennis

Right?!  We are not alone.  This effect was super useful.  I used it extensively in the GT-100. Very versatile.

The EHX Freeze or SuperEgo are even better at this.

The Slow Gear SG1 is just an automatic volume pedal that detected the attack and faded it in for you, like a gate with a super slow turn on and a quick turn off. Not sure what the GT100 did to emulate this effect, but SG1 wasn't that great at e-bow type lines beyond the first note unless you fed it into a long delay/reverb.

The EHX Freeze effect is a true infinite sustain that samples and holds notes indefinitely. For ambient guitar the Freeze is my go to pedal as a base to feed into my ambient chain. I'd love to see that modelled in Helix, then I could stop having to use mine in the loop.

• 4 years later...

I am trying to create a Helix preset with a BOSS SG-1 type of effect. To me, it seems like there is more to it than just auto swell. The SG-1 effect is described as first "filtering" the attack and then doing the volume swell. I wonder whether this is an accurate description of what is going on in the circuitry. 
https://circuitscheme.com/boss-slow-gear-sg-1.html

Soundwise, I am not getting there with the Helix Dynamics-Autoswell. Currently trying to add compression before Autoswell. Still, I do not understand what the Rel. Offset parameter is supposed to do. Even with the most extreme settings, I do not really notice a dramatic change.

Some people prefer the Vintage Swell Delay over the Autoswell Dynamics model, but I feel like this works for slow swelling of chords and textures only, not for riding the volume on rather quick single note lines.