Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Part 3 in the series on the Helix now uploaded

PeterJH

Hi everyone,

I've finally managed to finish Part 3 in my series on the Line 6 Helix. This video demonstrates in detail how I created the patches for Part 2 in the series.

I've had a lot of requests for a "loud, clean" patch with lots of headroom. I think that I've come up with a patch that should work well in that regard. It works particularly well with single coils. Incidently, the "intro music" that I made for this video was also created using this patch.

I've also shared my settings and thought process in creating my Plexi "crunch" patch. The video shows how well this patch works with humbuckers and single coils without changing any settings.

Lastly I covered the Jazz Rivet patch that I used in Part 2. This is quite a "lush" clean chorused tone that works with Les Paul type guitars as well as single coils.

Anyway, I hope this video helps in getting these three tones.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Upvote 7

Thanks for the comments. I hope this video helps to get the perfect tones.

@ jaminjimlp, yes I could have used it but as you could see that my patches are so simple there's no chance of me running out of DSP. My objective is to get the greatest core tone as simply as possible.

@DarrelIIM I definitely believe in the less is more approach. I think it comes from the era where I come from. Guitar players had very little options to "load" their tones with effects. My rig in the 70s was a Plexi, a guitar and a distortion pedal. I also like the guitar to be as "in your face" as possible. The more effects in the chain, the further back the guitar ends up in the mix.

Obviously these patches are guidelines which can be built up by changing certain settings, effects, etc. They worked very well in the track from Part 2 so I decided to share them.

The Helix can be as simple or as complex as you like. That's the beauty of this great unit.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'd love to hear from you as to how well these patches translate into your own units.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hey Peter,

Thanks for sharing really enjoyed the video and will put it to good use! Got a question regarding the global EQ and if you used it during this video and also your global settings where they left on the Factory settings!

Thanks best Joe 

Thanks, Joe.

The global eq was switched off and the global settings were left on the factory settings.

Glad you enjoyed the video.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter!!  That's the way i keep my settings Global eq off and Factory Globals sounds best to me that way as we'll.

I also have been using your Brit Plexi norm patch (same as in the video ) and substituting with different IR's and have been getting great tones!

I've tried the Sigma  1960 a   Freidman and the UK Custom... Really loving the tones going to try my  Ownhamerr IRs as we'll.!

Thanks again Peter... 

Much appreciated   best Joe

Thanks Peter!!  That's the way i keep my settings Global eq off and Factory Globals sounds best to me that way as we'll.

I also have been using your Brit Plexi norm patch (same as in the video ) and substituting with different IR's and have been getting great tones!

I've tried the Sigma  1960 a   Freidman and the UK Custom... Really loving the tones going to try my  Ownhamerr IRs as we'll.!

Thanks again Peter... 

Much appreciated   best Joe

You're welcome Joe.

I'm glad that the video has helped you.

Cheers

Peter

I put all 3 of these presets into one preset. Plexi crunch sound on the second path, expression pedal to switch between the two paths the only thing was that I ran out of DSP with the Reverb on the Jazz rivet one but I made a very useful preset for my self

I put all 3 of these presets into one preset. Plexi crunch sound on the second path, expression pedal to switch between the two paths the only thing was that I ran out of DSP with the Reverb on the Jazz rivet one but I made a very useful preset for my self

Thats excellent jaminjimlp,

You shouldn't even need the reverb on the Jazz Rivet. It's very subtle and with the delay you hardly even hear it. I put it on the patch but switching it on and off barely made a difference.

Cheers.