Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

spider IV 15 - 4 amps

hrroach

Just got my first line 6 amp the other day and what i think i understand is the i can press and hold any of the 4 buttons and whatever the dials are at will become the settings next time i use that button to go to that channel. Ok fine, but is there a way to go to that channel and instead of automatically changing my current settings, back to whatever i had last stored have it so it is always the ACTUAL position of my manual settings? 

Thats my first question, but im also trying to find the easiest way to know if the settings are actually what the dials say they are without having to go turn all of them down and back up everytime i change amp channels. Several times the amp suddenly makes my treble pick up sound way off and the rhythm pick up with more slappy bright  tone than the treble pickup and thats just weird, like they reversed, but then ill go play clean or just give up and stop playing, then its normal again. I do not mean it was loading a preset til i changes settings i didnt do anything when it started and then i pressed the preset buttons went through all of them and it was still messed up. NOT even manually changing the dials would help. I dont know exactly how i got rid of it. (edit) but it has happened seemingly randomly, more than a couple times. And I may have forgot to mention i am running my line 6 spider IV 15 to a scarlett solo pc interface from the headphone output of the amp. So i have only experienced this with the headphone out.

Note that the headphone output is stereo - have you adapted it to mono output to your interface?

the interface takes the stereo input and sends either the right or left to one channel only, (unless i use two inputs and separate the right and left stereo output to two cables). so by using one input the interface converts it to mono. (this is what they told me anyway could be they are wrong?),  its a focusrite scarlett solo. And it works, i record to one channel then using my program i bounce the track to a stereo mix, or copy it to a mono track and send to the opposite side for stereo if for whatever reason i want different effects on right and left channels. (never tried that) although i get everything through both sides on headphones unless i tell the program to only send to one side or the other.

On the other end, i'm using a 2015 les paul studio with 57 classic and 57 plus pickups

• 2 weeks later...

i realize that i am using one side to record to a mono channel and i am ok with that for the time being. I do hear through both sides of headphones, from the scarlett solo, but i realize it is a mono signal being sent to the "center". Are the right and left channels essentially the same as two mono signals, played together anyways? i mean if i do seperate them wont they both be two of the same?

The scarlett records the right channel as a mono signal the left channel from the amp is basically ignored. i hear the same thing that i play/or record. I can simply copy the track i recorded and assign one track right and one left and bounce them to a stereo track and it is stereo again, no?

Ill look for an adapter but i dont think i have the 1/4" to 1/4" ones here or any cash at the moment.

You're only getting half the signal the way you are doing it.  I don't know if the 15 has any stereo FX (the higher Spider models do).

Here's the adapter you want to use, to plug into the stereo output jack, then use a standard 1/4"-1/4" guitar cable to your interface:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408123-REG/Hosa_Technology_GPP_419_Audio_Cable_1_4_TS.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPP-419-Female-4-Inch-Adapter/dp/B001JYSMV0

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yeah i been using that from the start. I just want to know how i can change channels, but leave the dials on manual. So that switching channels doesnt change my settings. And so i can visually see what my settings are when i switch channels.

Not sure what you mean.  When you switch channels, the settings change to how those channel patches have been saved.  IF you touch one of the amp controls (volume, tone, etc), that will 'wake up' that parameter and change the setting to wherever the dial is pointed at the time, that's just the way these amps work.

i was asking if i could basically disable the "saved" settings feature so that it is always set to how the dials are , regardless of what channel i choose.

I want to change the amps from clean, crunch, and metal, or insane, but i want to rely on settings i can "See" on my dials without having to turn all the dials to get it back to manual mode.

I didnt find this answer in the manual. IF i cant that is my answer, but are you sure just touching one dial sends it back to settings on the dials or dont i have to touch all of them? at least with the effects i do.

hrroach - no, the amp does not work that way.  When you change the channel (A,B,C,D), the settings for each parameter are changed to what has been saved for that channel, not where the dial is set.   Touching one dial will change that particular parameter to wherever that dial is set - it won't change all parameters.