Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The dreaded audio "click" on playback

chrisvermaak

Please help with my issue

I have Helix and two LT3 stagesource speakers. 

I have been very satisfied with everything in the way I played my backing tracks: Simply plugged from the PC audio (headphone socket) into Return1/2 and added that as second channel on each preset and there is my backing track beautifulll with my guitar playing on channel 1 all in stereo on the LT3's. Perfect. I can control total mix of backing track and guitar with master volume pending if I thought my neigbours are sleeping or not.

Then I tried USB audio in. 

The sound quality from the backing track is sure much better!. But now there is the click in the backing track somehow related to the whole digital usb interface I assume.

How do I fix this? I have looked at drivers etc (not a pc expert at all) and noted that Line 6 driver takes control of the sound when USB is connected to Helix. So now I think this problem is somewhere Helix related since the stupid low cost REALTEK soundcard I use to play backing tracks via Analog through Return1/2 has no clicks!

My PC is a high end Dell Workstation for high performance 3D drawing package and very powerfull with solidstate C:\ drive.

I have thought to install a highe end audio card but then I am really only interested in the digital USB audio interface and not sure an expensive sound card can solve the click heard on USB Helix audio.

Please help

I guess that you have to catch up on the audio routing (possibilities of your Helix)...

But now there is the click in the backing track somehow related to the whole digital usb interface I assume.

My strong assumption is that you have build kind of a feedback or 'unwanted loop effect' that leads to a (unwanted) click sound. Please describe what goes wrong with the click - and how it sounds. If it has nothing to do with the tempo of your backing track, than you maybe have created digital artefacts...

Your Helix works as a 'soundcard' (I/O interface), did you notice that  ;) 

Hi Klangmaler thanks for your response

I am sure I have no feedback loop of any kind. I have no recording software even installed 

It is purely the Helix usb cable plugged into the USB of my PC. At that moment is seems the Helix becomes the "sound card" since the little speaker icon where I adjust the realtek volume of the very same backing track then becomes "Line 6" volume control.

Also at that moment the quality of the sound is better (since I do not go via the headphones socket anymore I suppose)

But note at that moment when usb connects to helix i do not even have the headphones connection anymore. Thus the Helix sits like an extension to the PC on the end of the USB cable. Also plugged into the Helix of course is my Fender Elite.

The click is not at all tempo related â€¦â€¦. intially there is no click and then after a while you hear the first one one and then start to occur more often. Not repetitive and not loud rather like a scratch on an old vinyl recording. I have read it is to do with the sampling of the audio by the PC but also that now the Helix controls the sound and also the sampling rate etc. The moment I unplug the Helix USB the sound on the realtek simple built in audio card is immediately without the click.

Please help

Think I solved it

downloaded latest Line 6 Driver2 version 1.77 (this relates to Windows 10)

Installed and click is gone

Note I saw version 1.78 but when I downloaded that my browser indicated that the download is corrupt (did that twice then aborted the 1.78 version)

I did have latest Helix firmware upgrade already

Only installed Line 6 Monkey this weekend. 

Ok I am now again very happy.

My backing tracks playback through USB via Helix to L3T is now just stunning!!!

Note I saw version 1.78 but when I downloaded that my browser indicated that the download is corrupt (did that twice then aborted the 1.78 version)

If you use IE or Edge you will get the corruption error.  I use Firefox in Windows 10 as well as 8.1 and do not get the download file corruption.  New "safeguard" Microsoft added.  So, that has been my experience as a solution.

Also, not sure but I have been using the Line6 latest app (still having to check beta), not Line 6 Monkey, to download the updated F/W.  The app installs all the correct drivers and then I use the Line 6 Updated to update the firmware.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yes this I did use IE on the Windows 10 and got the corruption error. But I did download the 1.77 version also with IE. 

Anyway everything works for now and I did not want to scratch now again there while it all is working.

I will wait for the Line 6 Updater to be out of Beta and then use that. It will work updates on everything from Variax to Helix?

Think I solved it

downloaded latest Line 6 Driver2 version 1.77 (this relates to Windows 10)

Installed and click is gone

Dude, you saved my day :)

Had crackles and clicks through USB on win 10 and was starting to get grumpy - updated the driver and it sounds great now :D

Dude, you saved my day :)

Had crackles and clicks through USB on win 10 and was starting to get grumpy - updated the driver and it sounds great now :D

Dude I am glad it helped.

As for me I realise by the minute more and more I am lost in this world of digital audio. I think I am just totally stupid