Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cannot select certain amps and or pedals

threadedtime

I have made patches on my Helix. When I want to change or add certain amps it will not let me. Some amps or pedals are able to be clicked on and others are not selectable. These unselectable ones show up either red or dark letters. Whats up with that?

That means you are approaching the DSP limits. The items that are not selectable are those which require more than the remaining DSP capacity. The items that are selectable require less DSP and can still be added to the signal chain.

You're probably out of DSP horsepower on that path. Helix won't let you select blocks it won't have adequate power to run.

Try to split your blocks between the two main paths. It's my understanding the the top path also runs some of Helix's general housekeeping processes (the operating system, so to speak), so there's a bit more juice available in the lower one. I often put the amp as the first thing in the bottom path, so stuff that goes before the amp (typically wah, distortion, noise gate if I'm using one, some but not all modulation, compression, and EQ) goes in the top path. Seems to work out well for me. Not that I never run out of DSP for something I'd like to do, but in general it's ok. And of course feel free to do anything that works for you, sonically and DSP-wise :)

Here's one previous post I made that really helped me when I started with the Helix:

"there is another way in which you can have a separate amp on the first channel with an A/B switch. That way you can switch between a clean amp and a distortion channel. Here's a good video tutorial:  https://www.youtube....h?v=BBm91miPTcs

I did that and loaded the B path with the delays,reverbs and other modulations can can be switched on and off after either one of the amps."