Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

OPEN UP YOUR HELIX

bjnette

Hi guys , how easy would it be to remove a few screws; duct tape over Phillips head bit on a variable clutch screw gun? And take a few quality pics of what is inside.

Set up a not connected to you you tube account. :D  :P Warranty might be void if your careless.

But if you decide to take a peep, please share for the nerds amongst us

Hi guys , how easy would it be to remove a few screws; duct tape over Phillips head bit on a variable clutch screw gun? And take a few quality pics of what is inside.

Set up a not connected to you you tube account. :D  :P Warranty might be void if your careless.

But if you decide to take a peep, please share for the nerds amongst us

You do yours first.. then I'll do mine ;)

Don't know what exactly you want to see, but there are lots of pics here:

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/line6-helix-effects-unit-floor-pedal-inside-and-out-review.htm

There's a link to his full video review at the bottom of that page, may have some more views of the internals.

+1 to zooey!

I also read this when I first got my Helix.  The video and pictures on the Tony McKenzie review is the best way to see what is what while safeguarding your unit.  And he does an outstanding review.  Great read!

Dennis

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the link man I checked Tony's youtube but not well enough as I recall he pulled the HD500 apart.

I havent seen his Helix review yet but he is a straight shooter while tying to be funny. LOL

EDIT: Down at the Video he validates Line 6 for  the Helix . 

That video almost put me off buying a Helix. His practical demo at the end was awful. The patches/playing just didn't sell it at all.

The other videos that people put up (including the line 6 guys themselves) salvaged my purchase and I am totally happy with it. That Line 6 are working on more amps/FX is amazing!

That video almost put me off buying a Helix. His practical demo at the end was awful. The patches/playing just didn't sell it at all.

The other videos that people put up (including the line 6 guys themselves) salvaged my purchase and I am totally happy with it. That Line 6 are working on more amps/FX is amazing!

I can see what you mean about the presets in the video not being perhaps the best showcase of the Helix's sound or sonic capabilities but his deconstruction of the Helix in his written review where he actually takes it apart and shows the parts used and the quality of the build was one of the most compelling things I have seen in regards to buying the Helix. I do like the level of effort and detail he puts into his reviews.

I can see what you mean about the presets in the video not being perhaps the best showcase of the Helix's sound or sonic capabilities but his deconstruction of the Helix in his written review where he actually takes it apart and shows the parts used and the quality of the build was one of the most compelling things I have seen in regards to buying the Helix. I do like the level of effort and detail he puts into his reviews.

I should be more clear: The first parts of his review were great and the contrast between that and the end was off putting to me. How it sounds is paramount; that it is well built is a bonus! :D

• 1 year later...

Hi! Forgive Google-Translate for bad English =) Have not met anyone pictures of the open Helix-Rack, I plan to remake it into a desktop version, reducing the size and weight. Maybe someone will not be afraid to open their own, on the example of my Helix-Floor I can assure that this should not deprive you of a guarantee, there are no seals in it, and it opens very simply - a good design. But the dimensions of the chip-boards do not allow to reduce the size significantly and I plan to exchange it to Helix-Rack. 

22 hours ago, cultivator said:

Hi! Forgive Google-Translate for bad English =) Have not met anyone pictures of the open Helix-Rack, I plan to remake it into a desktop version, reducing the size and weight. Maybe someone will not be afraid to open their own, on the example of my Helix-Floor I can assure that this should not deprive you of a guarantee, there are no seals in it, and it opens very simply - a good design. But the dimensions of the chip-boards do not allow to reduce the size significantly and I plan to exchange it to Helix-Rack. 

Instead of butchering your unit, why not just get Native for $100?

5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Instead of butchering your unit, why not just get Native for $100?

Unfortunately, VST plug-ins are too latency, even on the best CPU and sound cards, in addition, I use Linux more. Аnd I just want a compact hardware effects processor, like Boss GT-001, with the power to use a guitar and a microphone at the same time. But after the release of the Boss GT-001, none of this did, and even the boss of the GT-001 is not quite perfect - a guitar and a microphone can not be used together.

I do not plan to break the case, I want to extract something inside and make another case. Judging by the helix-floor, the main part of the device is rather small, I also think it has less switching panel, and if it can be reduced it will be a bomb! =)

58 minutes ago, cultivator said:

Unfortunately, VST plug-ins are too latency, even on the best CPU and sound cards, in addition, I use Linux more. 

If you're running enough horsepower, latency really shouldn't be an issue. Native works just fine for me.... and I dare not delve into a Linux discussion. If aggravation is your thing, then by all means, enjoy! I will occasionally fire up the GPS to navigate out of the living room,  myself...;)

On 3/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, cultivator said:

To make a "desktop" version of a rack component, you just need to buy or build a rack for the desktop and put your rack component in it. 

• Confused 1

On 27.03.2018 at 1:28 PM, jbuhajla said:

To make a "desktop" version of a rack component, you just need to buy or build a rack for the desktop and put your rack component in it. 

I need to reduce weight and size, not increase them. With the same success, I can just put Helix-floor on the table and say "here it is now desktop" =)

On 3/28/2018 at 7:30 PM, cultivator said:

I need to reduce weight and size, not increase them. With the same success, I can just put Helix-floor on the table and say "here it is now desktop" =)

I'm curious - why do you need to reduce the unit dimensions? Serious and polite question. It's an unusual thing for someone to want to do.

I do not have a lot of space on the table, I'm still interested in mobility, I want to carry all my equipment on my back. Well, I just like compact things and modifications of something. My past instruments are POD Bean and Boss GT-001, I really liked them, but they are not as functional and convenient as Helix.

25 minutes ago, cultivator said:

I do not have a lot of space on the table, I'm still interested in mobility, I want to carry all my equipment on my back. Well, I just like compact things and modifications of something. My past instruments are POD Bean and Boss GT-001, I really liked them, but they are not as functional and convenient as Helix.

Not something I would ever consider doing, but I suppose if you have an appropriate electronic engineering background so you can do the necessary calculations for heat dissipation and component placement you might get away with it and not end up with a very expensive smoke bomb.....  ;)