Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Survey: How Happy Are You With Your Jtv? Scale 1-5

I have been very interested in the JTVs for their convenience and flexibility, but when I try them at two local stores, I can't get into them. Partly it's the setup (high action, thick necks) and partly its a feeling of being disconnected from the guitar. I use and love my Pod HD 500, so I'm no Ludite.

I'm a professional musician and make my living with my Anderson Strat and Ibanez 335 style. Both of these guitars are among the finest instruments I've ever played, so I am a bit hard to please - almost no guitars at my local mid size Sam Ash and GC in Clearwater FL interest me.

Please let me know your level of satisfaction. This could help me decide if buying a JTV and setting it up well might work for me. Thanks!

Korean JTV 69 #1

Jack screw fell 1st day. Apparently the hole was bigger than the screw, mod knob never worked

1/5

Korean JTV 69 #2

mod knob never worked

1/5

Korean JTV 69 #3

mod knob never worked

1/5

I think it's time to fix that problem line 6...

Korean JTV-89-f

5/5

What an awsome instrument. My 1993 strat, gibson robot, Tele and Musicman John Petrucci are almost useless now. That guitar can do everything and I love the neck.

Other than the nut being cut a tiny touch too deeply, which I've been able to compensate for, I'd say my JTV59 is excellent.  My beloved American Dlx HSS Strat (which is also a superior instrument BTW), goes unplayed. 

I would give my JTV59 (Korean) a 4.6 (losing .4 for the improperly cut nut).  If was truly troubling, I could probably take it to my luthier and have it replaced for about $75, or shimmed for about $25.

you're luthier is taking you to the bank at 75$ dang!! haha

anyway...

i have the korean 59

i'd give it a 9

i just never ended up caring for the color (i got the black one -.5)

outside of that, it has it's quirks (-.5) but i can work around them easy enough....

overall great instrument... get the color you REALLY want... regardless of what's "in stock" at the time.

Other than the nut being cut a tiny touch too deeply, which I've been able to compensate for, I'd say my JTV59 is excellent.  My beloved American Dlx HSS Strat (which is also a superior instrument BTW), goes unplayed. 

I would give my JTV59 (Korean) a 4.6 (losing .4 for the improperly cut nut).  If was truly troubling, I could probably take it to my luthier and have it replaced for about $75, or shimmed for about $25.

The guy does phenomenal work.  They also have the only Plek machine in the area.  I've also had my JTV59 Plek'd (Wow!!!)

He may be a tad on the pricy side, but I know my axe is in good hands.

you're luthier is taking you to the bank at 75$ dang!! haha

anyway...

i have the korean 59

i'd give it a 9

i just never ended up caring for the color (i got the black one -.5)

outside of that, it has it's quirks (-.5) but i can work around them easy enough....

overall great instrument... get the color you REALLY want... regardless of what's "in stock" at the time.

I'd have to give a 5 for my JTV69US. It was set up perfectly out of the box, and it's been my main guitar since I got it. I don't regret buying it one bit. The one thing that was nice about getting the US version was that I was able to get more of a finish that I like. I got the 2-Tone sunburst with a maple neck. It's still the only one I've ever seen like it.

post-416571-0-23563600-1377027587_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

a plek machine is serious business! sounds like the guy may be worth it.

The guy does phenomenal work.  They also have the only Plek machine in the area.  I've also had my JTV59 Plek'd (Wow!!!)

I've never been happier about a musical purchase. It might not be the most expensive guitar I own but it is the only one I play. Mostly for the tunings. I play a TON of stuff in alt tunings and really slack tunings and this thing has been a blessing. Add that to everything else it does and I love it to death. I've been jamming in a cover band lately and this thing is built just for that IMO. It covers EVERYTHING. I have a 59 now and will be buying a 89f eventually just for whammy fun. I'll also probably buy a broke or really cheap JTV down the line just to put the guts in one of my PRS guitars.

Also, everyone that hears it before they know what it is, loves it. Once you tell them what it does, they all of a sudden "hear the differences"  :lol:

5 it is.

edit: I also own a HD500 and together it's HEAVEN!!

Edited by Geech
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Must be Crossroads Guitar Shop. I've been wanting to get two of my guitars Plekked there. Just have not sprung for the time and money to have it done. I'm in Lexington, VA.

As far as your nut that's cut too deeply. I know on a bone nut, you can take some bone dust and mix it with a little water-like super glue and fill it in a bit. Then when it is dry, re -file it. With a Tusq nut, I imagine you could do the same thing. Any luthier shop would probably have a scrap piece they would give you.

Spot on :)

Must be Crossroads Guitar Shop. I've been wanting to get two of my guitars Plekked there. Just have not sprung for the time and money to have it done. I'm in Lexington, VA.

As far as your nut that's cut too deeply. I know on a bone nut, you can take some bone dust and mix it with a little water-like super glue and fill it in a bit. Then when it is dry, re -file it. With a Tusq nut, I imagine you could do the same thing. Any luthier shop would probably have a scrap piece they would give you.

I'd give my Korean JTV-59 a 4.9 out of 5. I found the original jumbo frets too large - I swapped them out for normal size frets, and also installed an Earvana nut. Now it's a 6 out of 5, and I haven't played my most excellent and beautiful Warmoth custom Variax 300 in months.

JTV 59 1 - was a 3.8 out of 5 because I am not crazy about the neck, after being transplanted into a warmoth explorer, built to me specs 5 out of 5.

JTV 59 2 - was 3.6 because don't dig neck and wasn't loving black color. After being transplanted into a warmoth tele that used to house a variax 500 is now 5 out of 5.

JTV 59 3 - was 3.5 out of 5 because I didn't dig the neck and the TSB didn't look as nice as the CSB or black IMHO. After xplanting into warmoth LP 6 out of 5 and currently my new fave guitar. The tele xplant was my baby for about 5 year and still love it but right now the LP is my number 1. Maybe the new factor.

JTV 69 - was 2.5 out of 5 because I hated the neck, e string slipped off and was not head over heels with LPB color. Refinished in purple mist and put warmoth neck on it plus prails and a lipstick tube and now it is a 4.5 out of 5. Would be higher but I miss not getting neck and bridge rails or p90s setting on mags instead of just middle pick up alone.

JTV 69 2 - still stock and give it 2.6 out of 5 because I hate the neck and am not head over heels about the 3 tone burst. On one hand I dig having a more normal looking guitar but part of me prefers having a more unique guitar and not one that thousand of other guitar players also have.  Honestly was played ever so briefly and been hanging on the wall while I finalize the xplant ones for that one. . . . .

Morale of my story, if I want a "perfect" guitar, custom is the way to go. .  . . .

Korean JTV-59 bought used from Guitar Center, started off at 1.5 / 5. After a change of strings and basic set-up I give it 5/5. I love this guitar and plan to sell two ESP guitars to pay for this JTV and a second one.

Nothing like being invited onstage, find out the band is tuned down a whole step, turning a knob, and saying lets get it on. No one knew the difference. Truly awesome!

Refinished in purple mist and put warmoth neck on it plus prails and a lipstick tube and now it is a 4.5 out of 5. Would be higher but I miss not getting neck and bridge rails or p90s setting on mags instead of just middle pick up alone.

Could you post a pic of this one?

3.5 - The 12 string clash on the "D" string when physically tuned down a whole step is major.

Yeah, it sucks alright... did you try the step by step reflash procedure shown here (maybe first revert to 1.8 firmware then try this with 2.0) ?: http://line6.com/support/topic/2128-jtv-20-try-this/

I am going to try a downgrade/reflash tomorrow and see if it cures the pitch clash.

Yeah, it sucks alright... did you try the step by step reflash procedure shown here (maybe first revert to 1.8 firmware then try this with 2.0) ?: http://line6.com/support/topic/2128-jtv-20-try-this/

I am going to try a downgrade/reflash tomorrow and see if it cures the pitch clash.

I purchased at the 1.9 firmware and a week later it was HD.  Let me know what you find.

First post, JUST got my JTV-69 (Korean) great build. Just updated to ver 2.00 HD, not played yet, too early morning here :D. Love the feel and finish. Actually one of my few guitars I feel comfortable playing bar chords on. WB is not able to retrieve some of my patches. Guitar I give a 5/5. Oh and I have the POD HD500X and a DT50 212 also, LOVE EM!.

Tony

I have around 35 guitars but since I purchased my MIK 59, I have not taken any other guitars to my gigs.  The JTV is a do-it-all guitar for me.  With the new update, I am even happier with it; so much improvement to the sound, especially the super 400. That's a 5/5.  I hope there will be choices of strings type (round wound, flat wound) and a nice nylon model in future updates.

i thought i was the only one loving the upgraded 400.... man that thing is so sweet....

certainly still a bit of a niche... (ain't gonna be doing many rock tunes on it)

but out standing.

I have around 35 guitars but since I purchased my MIK 59, I have not taken any other guitars to my gigs.  The JTV is a do-it-all guitar for me.  With the new update, I am even happier with it; so much improvement to the sound, especially the super 400. That's a 5/5.  I hope there will be choices of strings type (round wound, flat wound) and a nice nylon model in future updates.

• Upvote 1

Do you find that you use the mag pickups more often than the modeled ones?

I definitely use the models more than the magnetic pickups. There are few thing I like the mags for, but the models sound so good to me, there's no reason to go to the mags. The nice thing is that having the magnetic pickups adds a bit of insurance policy if you're playing live while using the battery power. You know that even if for some reason you're battery dies, you won't have a dead guitar. I personally also like having the mags for the simple reason that they make the Variax look like a "real" guitar. I always kind of disliked the look of the original Variaxes because of that. I know that's kind of a vanity thing, but I guess we're all vain in one way or another.

Do you find that you use the mag pickups more often than the modeled ones?

I personally hardly ever use the mags. I'm so used to switching up tunings and models that I almost forget they are there. They do sound really good though. 

I've owned a small collection of electrics: An '89 Strat Deluxe Plus, an Ibanez Artcore AS73, a couple of old Japanese imports (Teisco, etc.), and three Variaxes: 300, 600, and JTV-69.  I sold my Strat to finance purchase of an HD500 and the first Variax.  I loved the tones, but wasn't crazy about the 300's feel, fit, and finish.  I sold it for the 600 - I loved the 600's maple neck, and the instrument's quality was much better.  I still pined for my old Strat, however.  After getting my 69, I no longer look back.  I've got the amazing sounds (and 2.0 steps it up in most all cases, IMO), a beautifully constructed instrument, and yes, I even really like the neck.  I bought mine second hand, for about half price, and it was only 3 months old.  I felt a small rough patch on the neck (fine grit sand paper took that out with zero effort), the neck was a little too straight, and the frets were a bit sharp on my hand.  As with EVERY guitar, I suggest finding a luthier you like who can do set up and maintenance.  Now it plays like a dream, and most importantly, it INSPIRES me to play more and better.  

In short, best guitar I ever owned, 5/5. 

I've had two jtv-69's. First one was 1/5... arrived broken and sent back. Second one arrived in good shape, and after spending some quality time setting it up, has been 5/5 for me. You can lower the strings if you like the action to be lower. They do come set up a bit high from the factory.

Before the update 3.5, after 4.9. The guitar was boght two weeks ago, out the box, not bad, a few quality control problems with the scratch plate ( a bubble here and there). Fret buzz present at the A and E strings  when fretted up to 5th fret. I raised the action which took care of that. I like the set up and feel of the JTV 69, but, the models were not quite right until the update. Intonation spot on and the mag PU's sound very good to me. A big worry for me the E slip off problem, no such problems for me, the neck and frets are fine as is the nut.

I have never owned anything like this before, I have always played organic guitars ( lot's of them) through various vintage and modern valve amps and I have to say, in conjunction with the Pod Hd this set up is very close to the real deal. I have not used the guitar on stage as It was bought for home studio work only, but, I may, but probably not, and that's because at the moment I have packed up playing live.

Impressed? Yes.