Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Survey: How Happy Are You With Your Jtv? Scale 1-5

all of your transplants i've ever seen look great!

this is no exception.

Thanks. This one is technically not a transplant. I bought a LPB 69 and then found a black 69 empry body on ebay. I was using the LPB one while traveling and waiting for my tele to be done so instead of taking the LPB apart I sent the bare black body off to be refinished. Then I just dropped it off to GuitarTex in san antonio where john did the assembly, pickguard and installed warmoth neck.

I now have the original LPB body, neck, pickguard and pickups. I also have a 69 main board from ebay. All I need is a bridge that will work and the pots/harness from a 69 and I can put the LPB 69 back together.

BTW, I totally cheat with xplants. I order warmoth bodies and necks and pay Guitartex to build em. Guys like Jeff Miller and Midirose were doing real transplants themselves. I wish I had that patience and skill!!!! Also the chops of either of those guys would be great!

all of your transplants i've ever seen look great!

this is no exception.

Oh yeah. . . .the next one will also be cool. . .  .and purple;-)

Warmoth Firebird Body in Purple Frost with 3 pickup tele wiring scheme and warmoth flame maple tele neck. Fralin tele bridge, strat middle and lolar Firebird neck pickup. Need to call Guitartex to see if they received the Lollar yet!

I give my JTV89K in blood red a five out of five.

I got it at a discount from zzounds - restock saved me $200 over the regular price. 

Setup and finish was spot on. Had an issue with the battery which L6 replaced promptly, no questions asked.

I use it with my HD500 (also a restock at a 20% discount) and my DT25 which I got a crazy good price on.

Before this I tried a ton of modeling amps, tube amps, pedals, tone pedals, etc. The dream rig gives me a ton of sounds and flexibility in a relatively straight forward package. The HD500 takes a bit of time to learn, but there are a ton of resources including this forum, customtone and a bunch of third party support (vetaville, meambobo)

I dont know why everyone doesn't play a JTV.

i thought i was the only one loving the upgraded 400.... man that thing is so sweet....

certainly still a bit of a niche... (ain't gonna be doing many rock tunes on it)

but out standing.

I am primarily a jazz player so the hollowbody models are useful for me.  Before the HD upgrade, I could not use the Super 400 model at all as it was too bassy and percussive and totally unlike an archtop jazz guitar.  With the new update, I can get a workable sound from it and I am very happy about it.  Still, both jazzbox models lack the woody sound from a hollow body.

Just got my first Variax yesterday and while it's really too early to actually say anything about, I still want to.

It's a black JTV-89, Korea made and since it's so ridiclously cheap (5799 Skr= $890) and it was so easy to install the USB thing, the new v2.0 Firmware, adjusting the bridge for a little lower action AND the sound, I still have to give it a 4,5/5. It's an amazing piece of technology. It's not a metal axe, but I've got other guitars for that, and it's not a top notch premium guitar when it comes to details and so, still the neck is really nice (bought this one without trying it, tried the 69, but hated the neck), and for the tone palette, it's just awesome. :)

imo a variax shouldn't need pups as a pod shouldn't need valves since their purpose is to recreate them and in some cases invent them digitally in a total different way, and that thing should be very clear and not hidden..

I get what you're saying but I still don't get why you're saying it. I didn't buy a JTV because of the pickups in it, but as a backup if the battery fails (not everybody is using a HD500 either) (or if the electronics fail) while you're on stage and instead of standing there with a piece of silent wood, you've still got a guitar to finish the gig with minus some options of course. I've seen this comment before about how useless the pickups are, see them as a backup instead of some sort of main feature.

And to be honest, I thought all the pre-JTV Variaxes just looked weird and kinda ugly because of the lack of pickups. :P

and also the money you pay to have useless pups into the jtv is value subtracted from the rest of the instrument quality (lutherie) since it costs about the same if not less than a new (discontinued) 700

I don't think the magnetic pickups are useless, though. I still use them sometimes. There are still a few things that you can do with real magnetic pickups that you can't do as well with the piezos. Generating feedback is one of them (although you can actually generate feedback with piezos, it's just not quite the same). Another one if you're doing very percussive Edge-like delays, I still think the mags have a slight edge (and, to be honest with the 2.0, the difference is very minor). But mainly, it's just the extra peace of mind knowing that you have a backup ready if you need it.

I was simply friendly replying to phil_m previous comment with my opinion

sure your point makes sense, but personally I would prefer the cost for having also pups to be used instead to get even better quality guitar materials and workmanship..

of course everyone is entitled to their opinion

the lack of pickups is just one of those things that I like in a Variax ;)

All good, mate. :)

Oh, and I was going to add that I bought my JTV purely for recording with and adding a different tone palette, so I will probably never use the pickups in mine, since I've got other guitars with better pickups for what I'm doing, so for myself I could definitely go without having any pickups at all.

Edited by enghell666

i love having the pickups... having said that i'd also love to see a budget version sort of like the old 300, with a mode basic pickup free lower priced guitar.... heck even gibson has the melody maker...

maybe trim it down like the 300 with no alt tune knob etc but still capable through software etc... you know trim down whatever to get a 500$ model out there...

just saying the more people who have some sort of variax, the better long term support etc is for the whole line.....

• Upvote 2

you can probably partner up with someone looking to make a transplant and make that happen...

unlikely it will happen through line6... and James Tyler's version is a little different:

http://www.tylerguitars.com/p-42-ultimate-weapon.aspx

and likely way more expensive.

I would like to be able to buy the same guitar (JTV89) without modeling options, just the mag pickup. :)

My point of reference is the Godin LGX-SA as it's the best and most expensive guitar I own.  The price is for the guitar.

At a similar price point, the cost of my Korean JTV-59 really represents the guitar and the specialized electronics.

I rate the JTV-59 a 5/5 as it performs as advertised.

- The build quality is very good. No complaints.

- The neck is epiphone-like but still comfortable in my smaller hands.

- The Mags, while not as robust as those on the Godin, produce a clear and clean sound and are very useable!

- The variax models available in the JTV line are better than I expected, especially the acoustic models.

Now that I've installed the Fishman Triple Play on the JTV-59, it's my main guitar for recording.

Too early to rate mine.  I received my JTV69-S today from Sweetwater.  They had already flashed it to 2.0 so I did not have to deal with that.  The action was a lttle too low on the Low E and A strings but it was nice after I raised them a bit.  Everything seems to work properly and there are no visible flaws.  Not bad for a "Demo" unit!  The Strat Models sound pretty good to me.  Positions 2 and 4 do have the normal Strat sound to them.  (I have not dared to try Workbench yet since we all know what that does to these models)  I downloaded the patches that fix it but I will do more experimenting with the guitar before I try Workbench.  I have plenty of experience with my old Variax 500 and Workbench.  I have never had any issues with that guitar.  I played it with the mag pickups while I charged the battery and they sound as good as my American Strat pickups.  There is some hum which is to be expected with single coils.  I tried all of the models after the battery was charged and I can say for sure that they are a big improvement over my 500, especially the acoustics.  I think I will be very pleased with this guitar.

• Upvote 1

JTV-59 tobacco I would say it bounces around a 4.2 for me.  Each update gets better and worst at the same time. I try to take the updates with a grain of salt and realize I will have to redo my patches each time I do it.  There are times where I think the guitar sounds like crap but I switch guitars and play my strat or my hollowbody and reallise it sounds the same as the models when recorded.  So I just go back to the 59 and live with it.  I like the 59 for recording cause of how quiet it is.  And I must admit with the last update I feel the guitar models behave more like real guitars (muting,and pedal notes and such)..

I was unable to try @ store, none in stock when shopping.So  I ordered JTV 69 Korean blind faith, figuring I could return it. I hated the neck so bad when I got it I considered returning it. The high action I felt was necessary for slide, so the setup I received was a nice compromise.

After owning for 1 1/2 years I still do not like the chunky neck but have learned to live with it. The ability to switch models and change tunings on the fly even mid song is amazing.  The ability to  loop  a 12 string acoustic in standard tuning, then switch  to a tele in Open G for the slide solo and then back just by stomping a POD switch is awesome. Using a DT series amp also allows you to change the amp type settings, with theh same click of the switch.

The ability to cfreate an open E tuning without the additional stress on your neck, and create your own tuning for each string using virtual capo is awesome. AFter 1/12 years I  still haven't got into the workbench but plan on creating my own guitar model this year.

It is without a doubt the most multi functional setup I have ever had. I play my acoustic and resonator occasionaly, my Tele, Epi LP, and Custom Shop Strat sit in their cases.waiting for a friend to stop by withoutt a guitar. I never thought anything would replace my Custom  Strat as my main guitar but I cannot put the Varriax down.

The Variax is one of those things you wonder if you need it and then once you get one you realize you can't be without it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Am getting a "dent & scratch" JTV-69 next week. Anything a newbie should know to get the most out of my new instrument?

I just got a "dent & scratch" JTV-59, and HAVE to say I've NEVER owned a finer guitar! As far as the "dent & scratch" - I've only been able to find one spot, on the top edge of the fretboard at the 2nd fret, that's about half the size of the dot markers and just a slight discoloration. No other scratches; no "dents". I am SO pleased with my buddy @sweetwater for picking this one for me! After playing nothing but A/E Takamine 12-string for roughly 15 years with a lazy left hand, then a few months with the Peavey autotune 6-string (which didn't improve my fretting at all), this one's taking a little "getting used to", but I'm MORE than willing to go through the minor inconvenience of improving my fretting technique so I can do this one justice. Here's hoping you're enjoying yours as much!

I would give a 4/5 to my jtv. The pros no need to mention, we all know about..

The cons: the lag when switching pickups, and the mag pickups...

I wish these 2 were absent.

(meaning that if these were absent, I would go for the 89f as design or the 59.God I hate the pick guard without mags)

I'm no professional musician, but at the price, built and performance I'm very pleased. I was worried the hype wouldn't live upto reality but simply an amazing guitar.

Happy to give my JTV89 a 5/5.

The only things I can think of to complain about is that there is no model sharing built into workbench and the odd querky design decision.

I would give it a 4 or 4.5 out of 5.

Its tough to rate it because nothing else really does what it can do, with the exception of a vg99 setup (or possibly the Peavey Antares Autotune guitar).

I have really played the daylights out of my Korean 69, and its not given me a single issue besides a very minor problem with string slippage of the high E string (something I adapted to fairly quickly).

I don't have an issue with 'disconnect'. When using really dramatic alternate tunings, there is a slight degree of latency, but its very small, nothing compared to what you get from many Pitch to Midi systems.

I have been very interested in the JTVs for their convenience and flexibility, but when I try them at two local stores, I can't get into them. Partly it's the setup (high action, thick necks) and partly its a feeling of being disconnected from the guitar.

Personally, I'd be looking/shopping at different stores. I bought my 59 from Sweetwater, and they set up all their guitars (over a $300 price point, I believe) before a customer ever sees one. If your store isn't doing this, find one that cares a little more about customer satisfaction. :rolleyes:

As far as my 59 is concerned, I'm VERY happy with it.  :wub:  Great sound (with the exception of modeling some string rattle on one of the acoustics), and very easy to learn (I'm no Luddite, either). ;)

I have been very interested in the JTVs for their convenience and flexibility, but when I try them at two local stores, I can't get into them. Partly it's the setup (high action, thick necks) and partly its a feeling of being disconnected from the guitar. I use and love my Pod HD 500, so I'm no Ludite.

I'm a professional musician and make my living with my Anderson Strat and Ibanez 335 style. Both of these guitars are among the finest instruments I've ever played, so I am a bit hard to please - almost no guitars at my local mid size Sam Ash and GC in Clearwater FL interest me.

Please let me know your level of satisfaction. This could help me decide if buying a JTV and setting it up well might work for me. Thanks!

I'd have to agree with you that the guitars I've played at the local GCs (I'm in Los Angeles) haven't been particularly wonderful. What's interesting is that I actually played Korean prototypes at Line 6 in Calabasas very close to the time they were originally introduced, and I thought they were done very well. As recently as two months ago, when I ordered my JTV89F, I played a 59 and a 69 hanging on the wall at the Pasadena GC and was definitely not impressed. No one really seemed to have an 89 (and certainly not an 89F) for me to try.

In fact, I assumed that I was going to have to get the guitar PLEK'd and set up to my specs (so I budgeted the extra bucks for that), and I could only guess at the neck profile. 

In my case the 89F was backordered and delayed a bit, but I figured at least I was assured that I wasn't going to get a pre-dinged version off a wall at a Guitar Denter. 

What arrived was really a pleasant surprise. For starters, it was in tune! The action was low and believe me, I went over it for buzzing frets. Someone did a great job on this one particular guitar. The neck profile is thinnish and wide-ish, and the 16" radius (and jumbo frets) were perfect. I was surprised at how compact the guitar is for having a 25.5" scale and 24 frets. There's good news and bad news (well, not really bad) there. It's shorter than my LPs (which have a 24.75" scale and 22 frets). The bridge is much closer to the bottom of the guitar by 3-4" by comparison, and the forward strap button connects to the upper horn at about the 12th fret (where an LP's strap connects at about the 16th fret. Thing is, that moves my fretting hand fairly far to the right and nearly cross-body, to play the upper frets when the guitar is hanging from a strap. That forces my wrist into some awkward bends to do any kind of chording or arpeggios in that neighborhood. This is one time when I recognize the benefits of fan fret guitars. It's going to take some getting used to, but the rest of the guitar is SO good, I'm going to have no problems putting in the time to accommodate that. 

Very comfortable to play sitting down. I didn't expect to be thrilled with the mag pickups on this guitar, seeing as how Line 6 has gone out of its way to declare it a "shredder" guitar, but they're actually very nice. I actually prefer the 4-knob control layout to that on the 59 -- the volume knob on the 89 is up near the bridge/bridge pickup where I like it, as opposed to the 59's layout, which moves the volume knob back where my model knob lives.  All in all, I think this is a bit of a sleeper -- it may actually be the best overall design of the bunch. 

BTW, does anyone know what the stock strings are on this guitar? I'm guessing 10's (they're D'Addarios), but haven't yet read the manual (and Line 6 doesn't include silly things like dimensions or string gauge among the specifications on the website). I'm used to 9's on Floyd-equipped guitars (even on the shorter-scale LPs), but this guitar plays so well with the existing strings I'll probably just leave them as is. 

5/5

I've had my Korean JTV-59 in Cherry Sunburst for a few months and I find it great fun to play. I don't really play the other guitars in my rack at all because you miss the flexibility of instrument and tuning that you get. I'm not too much into alternate tunings, but I have the tuning set up with a bunch of "virtual capot" settings -2 -1 +1 +2 +3 etc.

It's a heavy beast, compared to my cheapy strat and Tele, but it feels like a quality piece of kit. It plays well, holds its tune and sounds amazing through my POD-HD.

Still on version 1.9 as I couldn't get away with the 2.0, but happy to have another go if 2.1 arrives! Hardly ever use the magnetic pickups; only if the battery runs out  :)

JTV-59 #1 (April 2013): Needed fret levelling ($350 plek job) to get rid of buzz. Lasted 3.5 weeks, then the variax-circuit died. 4 months wait for a replacement. Official L6 distributor was unable to repair the guitar. They were in fact not able to get spares.

JTV-59 #2 (September 2013): Neck and fretwork on this one is perfect. On-off switch in the model-selector gets stuck when pressed in most positions other than custom1. No obstructions around the knob or shaft so the problem is inside the switch. Was hoping it would get better with some use, but after 2 weeks it is only getting worse.

When the guitar works it does what I expected it to. Modelling can't compete with the real thing, but in many settings it works fine. Magnetic pickups, although a tad hot, works well and makes this a viable alternative to a LP with modelling turned off.

Wrt construcion and sound I'd give it 4/5. Factory QC and the distributors customer service otoh deserves no points at all.

I'm a 61 year-old gigging pro.  I am required to go from AC-DC to Brad Paisley to Sinatra on the fly in a wireless format.  So I was excited by what this guitar offered.  

I recently ordered my Jtv 69 thru my local Guitar Center because they had none in stock.  They were kind enough to refund my money. 

I rate it Zero.  How can you rate guitars that don't work out of the box??  

Jtv 69  #1 - Model selector switch worked intermittently and occasionally flickered on and off.  

Unattractive knot in the sunburst looked like a flaw.

Provided allen wrench fit poorly in whammy bar nut.

Jtv 69  #2 - Guitar made loud digital noise when plugged in.  Totally unusable.  

5 minute dents in finish near near tone control.  

Unattractive seam running thru sunburst with half a knot on one side and none on the other.  A Squire offers better quality control.

After reading the volume and varity of problems this guitar apparently has, I can't imagine how any serious working musician could use such an unreliable, tempermental tool.

Since the sounds it offers seem to be the best available, I'm pissed at the poor quality.         

I own a JTV 59  and a JTV 89. I just couldn't resist having both. I have to say I am 100% happy with both, 5/5 without reservation.Both guitars came with the action a bit high, i just lowered it a bit on both and WOW !!!!!! I was taken back a bit  at first with the neck on the 59 being a bit thicker than i'd normally like,, but within a week it had become just about the most comfortable neck i've ever played and am so in love with it. The 59 also feels so perfect when you play with it standing up. The 89 without a doubt has the fastest neck i've ever played in my life and i love the 89 equally, just in different ways. These are the guitars i've waited my entire life for. The rest of my guitars just collect dust now. I run the 59 on 2.0 software, and the 89 on 1.9 software as i think both versions have good things to offer. Get a JTV, i can't imagine how you could be dissapointed. BRAVO LINE 6 !!! And thank you.

Personally, I'd be looking/shopping at different stores. I bought my 59 from Sweetwater, and they set up all their guitars (over a $300 price point, I believe) before a customer ever sees one. If your store isn't doing this, find one that cares a little more about customer satisfaction. :rolleyes:

As far as my 59 is concerned, I'm VERY happy with it. :wub: Great sound (with the exception of modeling some string rattle on one of the acoustics), and very easy to learn (I'm no Luddite, either). ;)

Unfortunately the inspection they claim to do must be less than truthful. I received two variaxs from them that had problems that should have been caught in their inspection. The first (69) had a bad neck and terrible fret buzz. They tried to fix it and sent it back go me with with the tremolo about half an inch different height left to right to solve the problem and it still buzzed like crazy with the added benefit that the trem was unusable. To their credit they took back the guitar and covered all the shipping. Waited a couple weeks and got a different model variax (89) and it's in much better shape but some of the accessories were missing from the box. Hope to get those soon so I can really use it. So far the guitar plays nice but at this point I don't even know what firmware is on the guitar.