Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

spidervalve 212 problems with clean sound

wireman24

Hello

I have one of the old spider valve 212 combos.

It is having a problem when playing clean.

There is a faint digital static noise in the background when playing.

It is only there when playing, it is silent otherwise.

Its very annoying. I have changed tubes and rebiased the amp but still no luck.

Do you guys have any idea how to fix this annoying digital static noise???

Any help would be great.

Thanks

For trouble shooting the setup is pretty simple.

It's my ibanez jem straight into the amp no other effects pedals or anything.

The digital static noise can be heard on all the clean presets on the amp. It does not matter what effects are on or off.

The amp is dead quiet when I turn down the volume knob on the guitar. It's only when you are playing.

For trouble shooting the setup is pretty simple.

It's my ibanez jem straight into the amp no other effects pedals or anything.

The digital static noise can be heard on all the clean presets on the amp. It does not matter what effects are on or off.

The amp is dead quiet when I turn down the volume knob on the guitar. It's only when you are playing.

Does this guitar use active pickups (check battery)? Does the noise happen if you plug the guitar into another amp? Does the noise happen if you try a different guitar into the SV? Try a different guitar cable? (I know it seems obvious, since you already took extraordinary measures when rebiasing, but still...). Does the noise happen if you plug the SV into a different power circuit (possible ground loop)? Since you are dealing with presets, it wouldn't hurt to factory reset the SV (save any custom tones first).

It happens with any guitar that is plugged in. I don't have active pickups on any guitars.

I have tried different cables.

I did a factory reset.

Also using the amp in different locations did not help.

Thank you for the updated info...This issue is really looking like some kind of hardware issue with the SV. You mentioned changing the tubes. Which tubes were changed, and were the replacements a different type than factory?

I replaced all the tubes with a matched set of jj tubes.

I use jj's in all my tube amps and they sound phenomenal.

I thought about switching to a set of original tubes. But I hate to spend that money if it wont work.

I did not keep the originals because they went bad and went so microphonic that the amp was almost unusable. That's why the original owner sold it.

If it turns out to be a hardware issue Iam not sure what to do the nearest amp repair guy that I know of is close to 4 hours away. I live in The middle of nowhere.

Do you have any other ideas Ian willing to try anything at this point.

...I replaced all the tubes with a matched set of jj tubes.

I use jj's in all my tube amps and they sound phenomenal.

I thought about switching to a set of original tubes. But I hate to spend that money if it wont work....

I'm not sure how that may effect any noise that could appear. Hopefully we will get an informed response from some of our tube gurus on this board.

• 3 years later...