Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X external tap tempo pedal? Footswitch loud in worship.

cklong

I finally got a question I've expected for a little while - "Can you tap your pedal any quieter?"  I play in our worship team and the tap tempo switch on the HD500X feels great but is loud if I'm tapping to the click to start off a quiet song.  Our worship leader mentioned people have asked her what that noise is.  Can I use an external tap pedal like a Boss FS-5U to set the tempo?  Our lead guitarist uses that footswitch with his delay pedal and you can't hear it.

With my old 400 I would use a Nova delay in the effects loop because I couldn't get dotted note divisions, etc.  However, it's so much easier to on the 500X to just use delay in the patch.  I really don't want to go back to the external pedal, but I'm not sure that I won't have to.

Maybe you can try to fix a piece of foam rubber over it to dampen the noise. There's so many types of foam rubber if you put a little sweat into it you might be able to get something that works for you. Use those creative juices and see what you can come up with.

The guy in that thread was using the Boss RC300 Loop Station as a MIDI controller, though...it might work, but I'm not sure the OP in this case is looking for a $500 solution.

There are $30 "tap tempo" pedals out there for units that have a dedicated input specifically for that purpose...but the POD ain't one of 'em.

There may be other cheaper MIDI foot controller options that could do the same thing, but I drifted away from those years ago. Not sure what to suggest...research time.

• Upvote 1

The guy in that thread was using the Boss RC300 Loop Station as a MIDI controller, though...it might work, but I'm not sure the OP in this case is looking for a $500 solution.

There are $30 "tap tempo" pedals out there for units that have a dedicated input specifically for that purpose...but the POD ain't one of 'em.

There may be other cheaper MIDI foot controller options that could do the same thing, but I drifted away from those years ago. Not sure what to suggest...research time.

Ok that explains the modification in "Mad Lab Mods" Facebook page. I suppose if there is a will there is way.

I guess I should clarify my specific question is "Can I use an external tap tempo pedal?".

You can set tap tempo via MIDI CC 064. However, there aren't many cheap solutions for sending MIDI CC via a foot switch. MIDI Solutions makes a box you can use with a Roland foot switch to send out MIDI CC, but it's about $120US for the box and another $30 or so for the Roland switch.

I guess I should clarify my specific question is "Can I use an external tap tempo pedal?".

I know exactly what you are saying. When the beer is spilling and min spl >92db, it doesnt matter but where there is dark and light shades, suddenly its a real issue. I use an old alesis sustain foot pedal for anything timing critical anyway...especially looping as it has a very short throw and being so close to the ground, just feels right as opposed to any switch that is mounted up. What I am doing is a hack, just drilling a mono 6.5mm socket and jumpering the wires from the tap switch. That way you can use either and its very easy to do (get a tech to do it if you feel its too much). The simplest way WOULD have been to allow selection of the type of input for exp2 (like most other foot controllers I have used). ie select switch/continuous, type active/sleeve active. Then you could assign it to anything. Even if you simply wired a resistor into the FS for exp 2 and then assigned that but I dont think HD allows exp as a tap tempo controller.

These are really good action, small and light and great ergonomics for timing critical applications; once you use one (or something in that format), it really shows the difference...even if the onboard FS wasnt noisy, this is light years better.

ASP-1_1200x750.jpg

• Upvote 1