Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Standard's neck: Tele, not Strat

d1stewart

I think we may be barking up the wrong tree, replacement neck-wise. The pocket of the Variax Standard shares the Telecaster's neck pocket dimension, not the Stratocaster's.

At least, according to Warmoth's website, it's their Telecaster pocket dimensions.

So I'm wondering if a Tele neck might fit the Standard. I don't have a Telecaster neck laying around. (Oddly enough, I do have a Strat replacement laying around. Go figure.) But from my measurements of the pocket/heel on the Standard, it's the same as Warmoth's Tele (which should be same as Fender's). 

Anyone have a Telecaster neck around and a mind to perform some surgery? Or some non-invasive comparisons?

I think we may be barking up the wrong tree, replacement neck-wise. The pocket of the Variax Standard shares the Telecaster's neck pocket dimension, not the Stratocaster's.

At least, according to Warmoth's website, it's their Telecaster pocket dimensions.

So I'm wondering if a Tele neck might fit the Standard. I don't have a Telecaster neck laying around. (Oddly enough, I do have a Strat replacement laying around. Go figure.) But from my measurements of the pocket/heel on the Standard, it's the same as Warmoth's Tele (which should be same as Fender's).

Anyone have a Telecaster neck around and a mind to perform some surgery? Or some non-invasive comparisons?

Interesting. If it fits, it fits...as long as there's no scale-length issues. The only problem I can see would be aesthetics. The Tele headstock on a Strat-ish body might look a little weird.

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful. I have and extra strat neck I checked it with the Variax Standard. It fit in the pocket just fine, it was the same number of frets and both guitars had the same scale length listed.

The issue was that where the bridge and neck heel sat on each guitar was different, which would effectively alter the scale length and cause tuning problems across the finger board. The frets would be in the wrong locations after a neck swap, despite having the same specs (scale length and number of frets). You'll have to ensure that the position of the frets (or nut) from the bridge is the same on the new neck in order to maintain scale and be able to properly intonate.

Not to say it can't be done, it's just with my neck specifically it would require a decent amount of woodworking on either the body or neck to seat it at the proper position.

Be careful. I have and extra strat neck I checked it with the Variax Standard. It fit in the pocket just fine, it was the same number of frets and both guitars had the same scale length listed.

The issue was that where the bridge and neck heel sat on each guitar was different, which would effectively alter the scale length and cause tuning problems across the finger board. The frets would be in the wrong locations after a neck swap, despite having the same specs (scale length and number of frets). You'll have to ensure that the position of the frets (or nut) from the bridge is the same on the new neck in order to maintain scale and be able to properly intonate.

Not to say it can't be done, it's just with my neck specifically it would require a decent amount of woodworking on either the body or neck to seat it at the proper position.

You are saying that a STRAT neck fit in the pocket just fine? Or do you mean a TELE neck? Because the Strat neck is radiused all along the heel, and will not sit square in the pocket. A Tele neck, however, is flat at the end (with radiused corners) and would (I'm speculating here, but the dimensions are the same) fit square in.

So do you mean you tried a Tele neck, or did you try a Strat neck?

You are saying that a STRAT neck fit in the pocket just fine? Or do you mean a TELE neck? Because the Strat neck is radiused all along the heel, and will not sit square in the pocket. A Tele neck, however, is flat at the end (with radiused corners) and would (I'm speculating here, but the dimensions are the same) fit square in.

So do you mean you tried a Tele neck, or did you try a Strat neck?

I tried a US Highway Series Strat neck, and was checking for someone asking about the tapper and width, and it fit.  (Yes, the shape of the heel wasn't exact, but I've seen worse on some guitars from factory. It was a decent fit side to side) But I pointed out that the distance of the frets to the bridge would be a bigger issue if someone were to try the swap.

I just wanted to make sure that folks knew that even if a neck fits perfectly in the heel they need to be aware of how the frets sit in relation to the bridge for it to work.

• 4 years later...

It’s been quite some time but has anyone had any real world success with a neck swap with the Variax Standard? Would love to see what’s worked for someone else and hopefully do the same on mine. Awesome guitar, just wish the neck were wider and could get the action low low low. I’d be happy with strat, Tele, jag, warmouth...whatever works. Thanks in advance!!!

• 6 months later...

I'm checking in too. I hate the neck on my Standard. Either the frets are too high or they feel sharp where they meet the edge of the neck. It just doesn't feel comfortable to play compared to my Strat or Les Paul. I end up using it for 2 songs in our set (one for a banjo emulation and one for a sitar emulation). Maybe I should look into getting the Roland VG-99 and play that through 13 pin out of my Les Paul or Strat.

Seems like the only option is to have a luthier build a custom made neck.

4 hours ago, glenn_szymanski said:

Seems like the only option is to have a luthier build a custom made neck.

Unfortunately, this is probably true... and I don't think it's an accident that there's nothing "standard" out there that's a drop-in replacement.

A lot of guys (myself included) weren't happy with the JTV69 necks, and replaced them with Strat necks instead. That's not exactly a selling point for the brand, and the powers that be love to discourage any and all modifications anyway (warranty, yada,yada, blah, blah). This way, you're pretty much stuck with what they give you.

That wasn't the plan, went with the four screw configuration, knowing some one would want to go down that path.

It is a fast neck. Maybe Warmouth would come with one.

Yes, warranty is a consideration,... if it is still under warranty. I only discourage mods for those who aren't experienced

at it. Especially with these guitars.

Besides, I'm a guitar tweaker too.

The Standard is based on the Yamaha Pacifica models. A Pacifica neck will fit on the Standard, but since they are basically the same neck that doesn’t solve the problem if you don’t like the neck’s feel. 

A Fender neck won’t work on the Standard body. The scale length is the biggest issue, but they also have different neck screw spacing/neck plate sizes. 

No one makes replacement Variax Standard/Pacifica necks. I looked into it while researching the lefty transplants I’m building for myself and a few lefty customers.

Your best bet at this time is to have someone dress the frets and the fret ends, and set up the guitar to get a more pro feel out of the neck and guitar in general. You’d be amazed at what a difference this can make. 

I was looking at swapping a higher end Pacifica neck but have decided to take the long way home and learn some luthier skills. I’ve done a couple fret level/crowning jobs on lesser instruments I had sitting around. Think I’m ready to take on the Variax now. Besides feel, the main reason the neck bothers me is the piezo modeling picks up any fret buzz and the sound doesn’t help with clean instrument modeling like acoustics etc. Normal mag pickups would be ok for this much but I’ll try to really dial the frets in and hoping to balance the clean tone and action. 

• 1 year later...

I have both a Variax Standard and a JTV-59. The Standard neck is thin like my real 91 Strat Plus. Not sure why someone would think it's big? The JTV-59 neck is very chunky but actually is way easier to play than the Standard! You can fly around efforlessly on it and I hate chunky necks! I like the magnetic pickups on the Standard a lot better since I have always been a Strat guy. My solution is going to be replacing the Medium frets, which I hate, on the Standard with Medium Jumbo frets and lowering the action. I will, of course, have my luthier do that. I'll keep you posted!