d1stewart

Standard's neck: Tele, not Strat

I think we may be barking up the wrong tree, replacement neck-wise. The pocket of the Variax Standard shares the Telecaster's neck pocket dimension, not the Stratocaster's.

At least, according to Warmoth's website, it's their Telecaster pocket dimensions.

So I'm wondering if a Tele neck might fit the Standard. I don't have a Telecaster neck laying around. (Oddly enough, I do have a Strat replacement laying around. Go figure.) But from my measurements of the pocket/heel on the Standard, it's the same as Warmoth's Tele (which should be same as Fender's). 

Anyone have a Telecaster neck around and a mind to perform some surgery? Or some non-invasive comparisons?

I think we may be barking up the wrong tree, replacement neck-wise. The pocket of the Variax Standard shares the Telecaster's neck pocket dimension, not the Stratocaster's.

At least, according to Warmoth's website, it's their Telecaster pocket dimensions.

So I'm wondering if a Tele neck might fit the Standard. I don't have a Telecaster neck laying around. (Oddly enough, I do have a Strat replacement laying around. Go figure.) But from my measurements of the pocket/heel on the Standard, it's the same as Warmoth's Tele (which should be same as Fender's).

Anyone have a Telecaster neck around and a mind to perform some surgery? Or some non-invasive comparisons?

Interesting. If it fits, it fits...as long as there's no scale-length issues. The only problem I can see would be aesthetics. The Tele headstock on a Strat-ish body might look a little weird.

Be careful. I have and extra strat neck I checked it with the Variax Standard. It fit in the pocket just fine, it was the same number of frets and both guitars had the same scale length listed.

The issue was that where the bridge and neck heel sat on each guitar was different, which would effectively alter the scale length and cause tuning problems across the finger board. The frets would be in the wrong locations after a neck swap, despite having the same specs (scale length and number of frets). You'll have to ensure that the position of the frets (or nut) from the bridge is the same on the new neck in order to maintain scale and be able to properly intonate.

Not to say it can't be done, it's just with my neck specifically it would require a decent amount of woodworking on either the body or neck to seat it at the proper position.

Be careful. I have and extra strat neck I checked it with the Variax Standard. It fit in the pocket just fine, it was the same number of frets and both guitars had the same scale length listed.

The issue was that where the bridge and neck heel sat on each guitar was different, which would effectively alter the scale length and cause tuning problems across the finger board. The frets would be in the wrong locations after a neck swap, despite having the same specs (scale length and number of frets). You'll have to ensure that the position of the frets (or nut) from the bridge is the same on the new neck in order to maintain scale and be able to properly intonate.

Not to say it can't be done, it's just with my neck specifically it would require a decent amount of woodworking on either the body or neck to seat it at the proper position.

You are saying that a STRAT neck fit in the pocket just fine? Or do you mean a TELE neck? Because the Strat neck is radiused all along the heel, and will not sit square in the pocket. A Tele neck, however, is flat at the end (with radiused corners) and would (I'm speculating here, but the dimensions are the same) fit square in.

So do you mean you tried a Tele neck, or did you try a Strat neck?

You are saying that a STRAT neck fit in the pocket just fine? Or do you mean a TELE neck? Because the Strat neck is radiused all along the heel, and will not sit square in the pocket. A Tele neck, however, is flat at the end (with radiused corners) and would (I'm speculating here, but the dimensions are the same) fit square in.

So do you mean you tried a Tele neck, or did you try a Strat neck?

I tried a US Highway Series Strat neck, and was checking for someone asking about the tapper and width, and it fit.  (Yes, the shape of the heel wasn't exact, but I've seen worse on some guitars from factory. It was a decent fit side to side) But I pointed out that the distance of the frets to the bridge would be a bigger issue if someone were to try the swap.

I just wanted to make sure that folks knew that even if a neck fits perfectly in the heel they need to be aware of how the frets sit in relation to the bridge for it to work.