Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FRFR pole stand recommendations

zooey

I'm thinking about getting a pair of pole stands for my 12" FRFRs. I've seen some brands I don't know (Rockville, NavePoint...) on eBay for $40-$60, some with a carry bag, which i'd actually like, and Ultimate Support for twice that. No idea how much difference those extra dollars would make.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm cheap, but I want to buy something and then actually have it to use, not have it die, or be hateful in use.

I use an On Stage I got on sale at GC on one of their holiday sales for $30. It's fine for my non powered FRFR PA speaker, think it would be fine for a powered speaker. Think it stated 150 lb rating. I rarely raise it from it's lowest position. Puts the speaker at shoulder height for me, I'm 6'6".

Dave

Hey Zooey,

I have the following MINI-STANDS from Yorkville (Canada) but I'm sure that they are available from other manufacturers...

They are very compact...Collapsed Height = 27.00 inches

mini_stand.jpg

https://www.long-mcquade.com/4432/Pro_Audio_Recording/Stands/Yorkville_Sound/Speaker_Stand_-_Mini.htm

Details:

Maximum Height: 46.00 inches

Stand Material: Aluminum

Collar Material: Nylon

Load Capacity: 100.00 lbs

I use them for raising up my 2 MESA 1x12 Cabs to allow easier controlled feedback and more accurate monitoring, but, they will work perfectly with FRFR...

I used them while while sussing-out my HELIX rig with [2] ALTO TS210A's...

Now I go Helix 1/4" to Power Station to [2] Mesa Cabs for stage monitoring and the Helix XLR goes to the P.A.

guitar_rig.jpg

Here's a pic from the stage showing the 2 side-fill guitar cabs.. (You can barely see the stands under the cabs...)

stand.jpg

P.S. to get the MESA cabs onto the Stands I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cab and added a speaker Flange...

flange.jpg

I hope this helps

Seeya

Joe

• Upvote 2

Scary reviews on those Pyle ones. (Makes me wonder about their isolation box too...)

The short Yorkville ones seem like a good idea, dn't need anything taller I think, $20.57 ea at Full Compass + shipping.

Joe, you didn't find a bag to hold a pair of those short Yorkville stands, did you? I can't find pairs of them, or a bag, just singles. They're cheap enough that buying 2 is reasonable, but I would like something to transport them.

Joe, you didn't find a bag to hold a pair of those short Yorkville stands, did you? I can't find pairs of them, or a bag, just singles. They're cheap enough that buying 2 is reasonable, but I would like something to transport them.

Hey Zooey...

Here's a relatively inexpensive "short" stand bag... 

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sound-Speaker-Stand-Carry-Bag-Small-/131682378624?hash=item1ea8e1a380:g:yPkAAOSwhOVXdOuL

a little bit longer than 27 inches, but, a real neat design...

Seeya

Joe

Scary reviews on those Pyle ones. (Makes me wonder about their isolation box too...)

The short Yorkville ones seem like a good idea, dn't need anything taller I think, $20.57 ea at Full Compass + shipping.

I haven't had any problems with either of mine but I'm just using them at home or on vacation; no gigging.

specracer986, do you have the part number or URL for those stands at AVALive? I'm not finding them. Some of the Yorkville items under speaker stands don't have a height spec, and the model number I thought I was looking for, SKS02B, isn't found on that page, and doesn't find anything searching Mfg Part #.

They do have an office in Boston, relatively near me, which I guess means I get to trade sales tax for shipping.

Thanks Joe. Shipping is $21.99, so I'm going to call and see if I can pick them up instead, since I'm close enough to their Boston shop to do that.

I've been wondering if that short height is actually a good idea, or if I'm just managing to point my FRFRs at the backs of my knees like a 4x12 cab. Gut level, seems like it'd feel odd to have PA-looking cabs higher, chest-to-head level or higher, like standard stands would do. But purely acoustically, I understand that FRFRs are generally designed for wide horizontal dispersion and much less vertical, so the short stands to seem like back of knees, maybe.

You pic shows a floor monitor in front of you, with the stands for side fills. Is the wedge just vocals, or is your guitar in there too?

I'm probably making way to much of all of this, most likely, anything will be fine. Can't help but wonder what's "the best", as if there's one answer, and it applies everywhere, to everyone. First world problems for sure.

I'm probably making way to much of all of this, most likely, anything will be fine. Can't help but wonder what's "the best", as if there's one answer, and it applies everywhere, to everyone. First world problems for sure.

Hey Zooey,

In the beginning, I used the Alto TS110A's to set-up my core sounds so that I could properly assess what the PA was going to get...

In that case the Allto monitors were at ear level and I stood back about 10 feet.... then the 1/4" output, without IR, feeds a tube amp and guitar speakers and everything sounds awesome on stage.

You pic shows a floor monitor in front of you, with the stands for side fills. Is the wedge just vocals, or is your guitar in there too?

We use the venue's monitor for vocals only... My side-fill guitar cabs are my stage monitor and make it easier for controlled feedback and so the rest of the band can hear me better.  :D

I hope this helps,

seeya

Joe

In the beginning, I used the Alto TS110A's to set-up my core sounds so that I could properly assess what the PA was going to get...

In that case the Allto monitors were at ear level and I stood back about 10 feet.... then the 1/4" output, without IR, feeds a tube amp and guitar speakers and everything sounds awesome on stage.

Thanks for your experience Joe, appreciate it.

By ear level, do you mean you weren't using the short Yorkville stands then?

Thanks for your experience Joe, appreciate it.

By ear level, do you mean you weren't using the short Yorkville stands then?

With the Alto TS210A's I set them to Ear level... (or whatever the height is with the MINI-stands fully extended)   :P

Happy 4th of July!

seeya

Joe

Can anyone confirm that the Yorkville SKS02B mini-stands fit the pole mount hardware on Alesis Alpha 112s?

The 112s have a 36mm pole mounting socket, and the SKS02Bs say they're 1 3/8" diameter, which is 34.925mm, not the same, one metric one not, even.

But it seems unlikely the 112 hardware is different from the Alto TS210As that Joe was using with the Yorkvilles.

So???

specracer986, did you get your stands yet? What speakers are you using them with?

Can anyone confirm that the Yorkville SKS02B mini-stands fit the pole mount hardware on Alesis Alpha 112s?

The 112s have a 36mm pole mounting socket, and the SKS02Bs say they're 1 3/8" diameter, which is 34.925mm, not the same, one metric one not, even.

But it seems unlikely the 112 hardware is different from the Alto TS210As that Joe was using with the Yorkvilles.

So???

specracer986, did you get your stands yet? What speakers are you using them with?

Bump, anyone?

FYI, if you're interested in stands this size, this is the only one I've found.

Best price I found was Full Compass, 2 for $38.21 shipped to MA. Ask for Josh.

Can't find a bag besides the one Joe mentioned above, which makes sense, since Yorkville doesn't make one and nothing else is that size.

Just hope they fit the speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Zooey,

I have the following MINI-STANDS from Yorkville (Canada) but I'm sure that they are available from other manufacturers...

They are very compact...Collapsed Height = 27.00 inches

mini_stand.jpg

https://www.long-mcquade.com/4432/Pro_Audio_Recording/Stands/Yorkville_Sound/Speaker_Stand_-_Mini.htm

Details:

Maximum Height: 46.00 inches

Stand Material: Aluminum

Collar Material: Nylon

Load Capacity: 100.00 lbs

I use them for raising up my 2 MESA 1x12 Cabs to allow easier controlled feedback and more accurate monitoring, but, they will work perfectly with FRFR...

I used them while while sussing-out my HELIX rig with [2] ALTO TS210A's...

[...]

Seeya

Joe

I got a pair of these from Full Compass today (after FedEx delivered them to the same street number but around the corner from the office building where I work), and frankly, they chewed it, bad. One popped a rivet the second I put a speaker on it, and the other wasn't remotely stable with a load. A gentle tap would take it over. Not doubting your experience Joe, maybe the Canadian version is different, or the new ones are different, or something.

(The bag you pointed out is nice, seems well made, a bit long like you said, not a problem.)

The only other short stand I know of is the Carvin SS15, 2 stands and a bag for $85 + $10 for cheapest shipping, 60 lbs max weight; the Alpha 112s are 31 lbs each. No reviews on their site, or anywhere else I found.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. Even the somewhat more expensive full-size stands from Ultimate etc have somewhat mixed reviews. Maybe see what GC has in stock, bring a speaker with me to check out how they actually work in person?

Put each speaker on a couple of milk crates? See if tipped back in floor monitor position (like I do in my basement) is a huge problem at a jam or a show? Didn't expect this minor logistical detail to be a thing at all.

"specracer986, did you get your stands yet? What speakers are you using them with?"

​I did, and it works fine. I haven't tried to extend it up. I have a Yamaha DXR12, and with the stand at the lowest setting, the top of the DXR is at my shoulders. Which is a nice height, not too tall, not too short. I folded it up and took it to rehearsal with me, without a bag. I just bungee'd it to my dolly. So I'm happy. It was a cheap solution that works for me. I guess I should try extending them and using the clamps to see how well they work. But, as I get older I tend to leave well enough alone.

​Besides liking the sound of my DXR up on the stand, it's a lot easier messing with the rear controls now that it's off the floor.

Full Compass is sending me a replacement stand gratis, not worth anyone's time or money sending the broken one back. They say they're good stands, must have been a random defect, and if I'm still unhappy w the replacement, we'll work something out. Full Compass and Sweetwater, among (a few) others are solid outfits, deserve your business.

When that comes, I'll try lowest height, see how that works. For now at least, I'm mostly targeting a rehearsal/jam environment, just want to hear myself, and have the other musicians hear me pretty much the same. Also thinking about a small show, un-mic'd instruments, so my rig needs to fill a small-ish space on its own. Tilt-back wedge position clearly isn't ideal, so I'm hoping these end up ok. If not, maybe I'll try the Carvin ones.