Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner problems

BLACKBIRDxx

I have a rack and was learning rush limelight. When playing along with the song I noticed the guitar was off tuned from the song. I tried a few things and to no avail. So my instructor said to try another tuner. I used a pod hd tuner and it was right on with the song. So its looks like the helix tuner is off a bit. Is there any way to fix this problem?

My intention was not to cause anymore tuners debates, i stated the facts as they pertain to me. Yes i have the latest firmware and there was a difference between the helix tuner and the pod hd tuner. It was minor but one is not right if they sound different. The pod hd did sound like the song to me and the helix sounded off. So I'm not sure where the problem lies. I am a beginner so its not a big deal to me as I don't play live, I can always use the clip on or the pod hd. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

First Trump, then Brexit, now another fricken tuner thread that will descend into chaotic 'accuracy' versus 'precision'.

I have concluded it is a vengeful God we live under.

Don't forget "granularity". Remember, a tuner is just no good unless it reminds you of Grape Nuts...;)
  • Upvote 1

I have a rack and was learning rush limelight. When playing along with the song I noticed the guitar was off tuned from the song. I tried a few things and to no avail. So my instructor said to try another tuner. I used a pod hd tuner and it was right on with the song. So its looks like the helix tuner is off a bit. Is there any way to fix this problem?

You can set the offsets to match your prefered tuner.

• Upvote 1

I mean joking aside here's all I know, I've been tuning with the Helix since the day it landed. As a Korg Pitchblack user I really like that the interface is akin to what I'm used to using.

- When i tune with Helix I have never once sounded off with my band

- When I tune with Helix I never sound off when playing along with artist tracks

- When I tune with Helix and record into a DAW, the other tracks I add (typically keys and pads) are in tune with what I record

I always thought the main complaints were from luthiers and other folks seeking scientifically exact measurements. @Blackbird, if you are saying that you tune and then sound noticeably off with any of the above three that is in no way my experience so our units are not the same somehow.

First Trump, then Brexit, now another fricken tuner thread that will descend into chaotic 'accuracy' versus 'precision'.

I have concluded it is a vengeful God we live under.

Don't forget "granularity". Remember, a tuner is just no good unless it reminds you of Grape Nuts... ;)

LMAO!  :D

- When i tune with Helix I have never once sounded off with my band

- When I tune with Helix I never sound off when playing along with artist tracks

- When I tune with Helix and record into a DAW, the other tracks I add (typically keys and pads) are in tune with what I record

My experience also.

Same here, have not had a problem being out of tune with other members of my band or with recordings when learning a song. There are some recordings that are detuned, either on purpose or because they were pitch shifted due to tape speed issues - usually older songs.... I usually drop them in my wave editor on my pc and adjust their pitch rather than trying to detune my tuner...

Dave

FWIW and my 2 cents, I can tell you that in using the Helix tuner versus the newly designed Kemper tuner,  there is no way I can set intonation accurately with Helix. I can however with Kemper's new 4.04 (tuner) software. Yes, they are apples and oranges in functionality and looks to a large degree and Yea, the Helix tuner probably wasn't designed specifically for that purpose but still,  the Kemper built in tuner is now a helluva lot more sensitive and accurate and allows you to do this while in my experiences the Helix tuner ATM won't or can't without much shooting in the dark. Id love to see the Kemper tuner approach implemented inside of Helix.

...there is no way I can set intonation accurately with Helix. I can however with Kemper's new 4.04 (tuner) software. Yes, they are apples and oranges in functionality and looks to a large degree and Yea, the Helix tuner probably wasn't designed specifically for that purpose but still,...

No way I'll ever set intonation with anything but a Strobe tuner ever again. It's why I keep my Strobostomp2 around.

No way I'll ever set intonation with anything but a Strobe tuner ever again. It's why I keep my Strobostomp2 around.

Peter,

Yes!  I am actually going to purchase a Peterson Tuner.  I had one many years ago (OK, many many years ago) and it burned up in a house fire.  I am looking at the StroboPlus HD. 

And as a side note to others here, I am not having any problems with the Line 6 Helix tuner.  Strobe is only for intonation.

Dennis

Firmware 2.0 improved the granularity.  You old tuner die-hards can ignore the top row of bars ;)

If you're considering a peterson for occasional setups, consider their smartphone app and cable.  

My 2 cents,

Texasdave