Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv Neck Questions

Hey guys, there is no place remotely close to me to check out the models.

I have heard people say that the necks are fatter than your typical les paul or strat.... not sure how true that is.

I play a les paul with the 60's slim taper D neck and it is just fine, I also have a strat and I like that neck also, its even smaller and double cut aways are great for high fret work.

I am planning on the jtv-59  since I will still have my real strat with the california 50 pups in it.

How id the neck on the jtv-59 and 69?

The 59 is a fatter neck. The 69 is a weird and whacky profile a few love it, most can tolerate it but many don't like it. I don't like it. It is narrower at the nut than I like but deeper than I like. IOW the distance from fretboard to back of neck, is more than I like. Some love the finish or lack there of, I don't. Your best bet is to get a 69 but be prepared to change neck if you don't dig it as on the 59 there is no neck swapping.

My 3 59s have been xplanted so I can have a comfortable warmoth neck and one of my 69s has a warmoth neck as well as being refinished with a pickup swap etc.

I personally do like the 69 neck. Toasterdude is right, though, it's a unique profile. It is deeper than a typical Strat neck, so it feels a bit different. However, I've found that it actually feels faster to me than most Strat necks. And I played Strat for years before getting the Variax.

if you like an ibanez/esp profile type flat neck the 89 is great...

not really my normal thing, but i do like that type of neck for some things.

Thanks guys, what about the 89 neck? I really dislike the look of that model, but is it any better?

If you have large fingers you will probably not like the stock JTV-69 neck.  For me, it's painfully narrow at the nut.  I'm also not a big fan of jumbo frets.  Good news is that fitting a strat replacement neck is quite simple and many of us have made this modification.  I upgraded mine with a Mighty-Mite compound-radius neck (Rosewood fingerboard) and have been generally pleased with the results.  Depending on your skill level you may want to have a guitar tech do this for you (requires drilling one screw-hole in the heel of the new neck).

I suppose it technically voids the warranty in terms of anything that directly involves the neck.  But, if you need service on the electronics just reinstall the original neck (4 screws) and who's going to know?