Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What to look for in a FRFR passive speaker

presnizky

Hi everybody.  I'm from Argentina and I got my Helix about 2 weeks ago.  I sold every piece of gear I had (amp, effects, etc), and I'm planning to go with a FRFR setup.  

I have a EXH 44 Magnum power amp, and I need a speaker to use mainly as a stage monitor, the idea is to go through FOH when playing live.

Based on what I read in this and several other forums, the most recommended speakers (that I can find here in Argentina) are the Alto TS112a, Mackie Thump and QSC K10.   All of them are powered speakers, but as I already have the EHX for power, I was starting to look for passive speakers.

So, what kind of specifications should I have to take into account?  Frequencies response? Speaker size?

Any recommended brand or model?  I can find Behringer, JBL, Samson, EV, Mackie, Alto, and some other brands that probably won't sell in the US.

I found a Alto TS115 passive speaker in a relative decent price.  Is it exactly the same ans the TS115a (active speaker) but just without the power section?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Pablo.

You're not gonna save much money (if any) with passive vs. powered speakers. The Alto's are already about as cheap as any of the current FRFR options. I'd go that route...just plug in an go.

Also, that power amp you've got, while a neat little thing, does start to break up at louder volumes. If you really want to go FRFR, you want clean power that won't alter your tone much, if at all. Otherwise, all the patches that you painstakingly create on Helix, are suddenly gonna sound different through your stage monitor vs. what's going to FOH when that power amp starts to break up...especially your clean tones.

Most, if not all, of the powered speakers are bi-amped with separate power amps to the tweeter and woofer and have DSP that fine tunes them separately.

Additionally, I think some people either here or on other forums have had issues and / or limitations trying to use the EXH 44 magnum pedal.  You might do some searches for it.

A lot of users here like the Altos with Helix.  If you can swing it, you might consider those instead of the EHX 44 mag pedal amp and a passive speaker.  Even if you get one now and one later.

FYI...I'm currently messing with a Crate Powerblock and two passive Crate 1x12 + horn PA speakers.  Something is just a little off on a passive speaker with fixed passive crossover.  Not that it doesn't work and sounds okay, but I'm quickly realizing some potential benefits of packaged powered systems.  I'm doing a little experimentation to remove the passive crossover, wire the horn and woofer separately in one of them and power them separately with each side of the Crate Powerblock, and use Helix as a low / cut (pass) to each with even custom eq to each to really flatten the response from them.  I already owned the Crate PB and only have $50 tied up in the speakers (had blown horns), so no loss if I don't use them.  But if I were seriously looking for an FRFR solution right now and not having fun messing around with these, I would probably go powered speakers.

I very highly recommend the Yamaha DXR series powered cabs with a 10" or 12" driver (I have the 10s). I use them with one sub for a single or duo group PA, and as my guitar rig when playing with a full band. They are amazingly good for the price, and I am very picky, having owned a large full service recording studio. I know what good sound is and these are great if you can't spring for Meyer range cabs.

Hi Pablo, I'm from Argentina too and in process to get my Helix. I'll be glad and very thankful if we could share experiences (out of this thread) regarding the Helix, best FRFR or amps to be used with the Helix. If you are OK, i'll share my coordinates with you. Thanks in advance!

I picked up one of the new model Alto's (TS212A, I think), just because I'm relatively new to all of this, and I've jumped straight from a tube half stack back line to the Helix for gigging. Also because it was an inexpensive way to try a few things out, and lastly because our band PA is based around the previous generation Altos (112), and I figured that if I could make it sound right through my speaker, it would sound good through the PA without too much effort. I'm sure it isn't anywhere as good as some of the high end Matrix or Atomic stuff, but I've been really pleasantly surprised. Sounds great through the speaker and the PA. I must admit I struggled at first, and thought it was way too boomy, but harsh at the same time, and then I stumbled across a post here (Roscoe, I think) that mentioned high and low cuts, and this worked wonders. Must admit I'm really sold on the concept of modelling right now, and the Helix in particular - my tone has never been so good or consistent, for a cover band hack like myself it's a godsend for its versatility, and the whole user experience is nothing short of superb.