Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alt tuning issue on Variax Standard

ricoustic101

When using the tuning knob on the guitar, with the guitar set to variax mode, both tones come through.  This is with my PA at full volume, so it's not an issue where I'm hearing the natural sound of the string.  This also happens if I create an alt tuning in workbench hd.  any ideas as to the issue?

Guys, I'm only asking this question here because it's the thread with the most recent comments, do forgive.

For the alternate tunings to work on the Variax guitar, do all the strings have to be perfectly tuned to standard at all times? 

Thereby, if I'm perfectly tuned to standard when I activate an alternate tuning and then pull a bunch of whammy bombs, thus

making my strings go out of tune, will the alternate tuning be affected also?

Thanks to anyone who can give me an answer on this.

Guys, I'm only asking this question here because it's the thread with the most recent comments, do forgive.

For the alternate tunings to work on the Variax guitar, do all the strings have to be perfectly tuned to standard at all times?

Thereby, if I'm perfectly tuned to standard when I activate an alternate tuning and then pull a bunch of whammy bombs, thus

If the guitar isn't in tune, the alt tunings won't be either. They're fancy algorithms, but they ain't magic.

Alternate tuning is not based on standard tuning. It works relative to the actual tuning of the string. Suppose you want a Drop D tuning. The alt tuning feature drops the pitch of the 6th string by two semi-tones. If the 6th string was tuned exactly to E then it will sound a D-note. But if the string is out of tune - not exactly E - then you will hear a correspondingly out of tune D note.