Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into JBL PRX712

stuwend

Just got my new helix today and plugged it into my jbl prx712 to check out if I can use it through that instead of carting an amp anyhow the jbl  sounds awful like accentuating fizzy and those high mids just like my HD500 did i thought it was better and I'm going out of the xlr out into jbl so any help out there would be great I thought it was meant for direct into a P.A so help whats going on or is it better going through a guitar amp??

Just got my new helix today and plugged it into my jbl prx712 to check out if I can use it through that instead of carting an amp anyhow the jbl  sounds awful like accentuating fizzy and those high mids just like my HD500 did i thought it was better and I'm going out of the xlr out into jbl so any help out there would be great I thought it was meant for direct into a P.A so help whats going on or is it better going through a guitar amp??

That JBL PRX712 is an awesome speaker.  I'm surprised you have a face after playing with that thing angled at you ;)

We just played an all day outdoor craft beer fest gig with a cartel of local singer / songwriters and musicians.  I was walking to the location from three blocks away and couldn't believe the loudness and clarity.  I was surprised to see just a pair of those on poles.

High Cuts and Low Cuts either on the cab or IR blocks or on the Global EQ seem to help a lot.  Whether using IRs or the Helix cabs, try adjusting the high cut to around 7-8000Hz and the low cut to 70-80hz.  

There are plenty of good threads on the topic, but here a couple to get you going...

Helix Cab / IR thread Low / High Cut thread.

http://line6.com/support/topic/21136-helix-sounds-like-im-playing-in-a-box/

Global EQ thread.

http://line6.com/support/topic/21316-adjust-your-global-eq-you-may-be-surprised/

Just got my new helix today and plugged it into my jbl prx712 to check out if I can use it through that instead of carting an amp anyhow the jbl sounds awful like accentuating fizzy and those high mids just like my HD500 did i thought it was better and I'm going out of the xlr out into jbl so any help out there would be great I thought it was meant for direct into a P.A so help whats going on or is it better going through a guitar amp??

"Better" is subjective, and this debate will go on forever. Both are perfectly valid approaches, and with enough tweaking, you can get excellent results.

But FRFR and traditional guitar amps are two very different worlds. Fizzy highs and low-end mud live in frequency ranges that guitar cabs just don't produce...so if you have your patches dialed in for a guitar amp/cabinet, and you're migrating to FRFR, there will be growing pains. Some make it work, some don't and go back to their amps. High cut and low cut filters work wonders, and is the easiest place to start.

"Better" is subjective, and this debate will go on forever. Both are perfectly valid approaches, and with enough tweaking, you can get excellent results.

But FRFR and traditional guitar amps are two very different worlds. Fizzy highs and low-end mud live in frequency ranges that guitar cabs just don't produce...so if you have your patches dialed in for a guitar amp/cabinet, and you're migrating to FRFR, there will be growing pains. Some make it work, some don't and go back to their amps. High cut and low cut filters work wonders, and is the easiest place to start.

+1 to this.  The first couple of weeks with a new Helix is bittersweet.  You know awesome tones are in there -- look (listen) no further than YouTube or Glenn DeLaune's stuff -- but coaxing these out of your own rig takes time and patience.  Personally, I would start with one patch and really play around with the various cabs and all their parameters -- particularly the hi cut/low cut.  The tonal flexibility this provides is powerful.  Cruisinon2 is totally correct -- some growing pains -- some educating yourself to the Helix is required.  Well worth it.

Hi guys thanks for that its just that I see and hear all the youtube clips and all they are doing is that straight from the box and yes the prx are great speakers as I have the 15inch for front house and the 12inch for my monitor and the do respond differently but will try and eq them as I have to just to sell my DT50 and 2x12 cab to pay for the helix and cut down gear so I'll have to make it work