Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi Thru Issue

Geeman

Was wondering if anyone has had problems with passing midi data through your Helix from one device to another.

My situation:  I just started to learn Apple's Mainstage app so that my wife can change my presets and the presets of our other guitarist/keyboardist (he has a Helix also) and our drummer's V-Drums.  It works fine with my Helix alone, but when I try to pass midi on to the drummer and other guitarist, it doesn't work.  But here's the kicker, if I reverse the order and put me last in the chain, they are able to pass midi to me!  We've compared our Helix settings and are both running the same firmware version.  I've done a global reset (holding down switches 8 & 9) and still no luck.  I'm beginning to think my Helix is defective but, I'm hoping somebody here has had a similar experience and maybe even a solution.  I also tried passing midi to my "old" POD HD500X.  Same scenario, I cannot pass midi to the HD500 but, if I reverse the signal order, it can pass data to my Helix from Mainstage..

Oh and I did drop a support ticket and the reply I got back was that passing midi data was not reliable and I should consider a direct line to each device.  I'm assuming they are referring to a midi splitter.

Thoughts anyone?

Are you saying that if you go first to the other guitarist's Helix, then thru to you, that works, but not if you go to yours first? That might indicate that your MIDI out/through jack isn't working. Can you verify that you can send MIDI from your Helix to anything -- not thru, just plain out?

Thanks zooey, that's exactly my problem.  If I go from the other guitarist's Helix or the drummer's V-Drums to my Helix it works.  But if I'm trying to pass data to them it does not.  But another weird thing is this, If I have Mainstage open in edit mode, and my Helix is first in the signal chain,  I can scroll through the midi program changes in Mainstage and it does change the presets on our drummer's V-Drums.  I haven't tried this yet with the other guitarist's Helix.  It just doesn't work when Mainstage is in performance mode, unless I am last in the signal chain.

I'm thinking like you said, something must be wrong with my midi out/thru.  I saw a very old video last night on youtube that says midi signals do get "dirtier" the more devices they have to pass through.  So, maybe Line 6 supports's advice to get a splitter is the better solution.