Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Variax being discontinued?

Is Variax being discontinued?

I have a feeling that the majority of people that are happy with the variax weren't counting on using the alternate tuning feature very much or just don't care that it really hasn't been perfected.

I purchased the Variax specifically for the alt tuning. If perfection is the benchmark, then you are going to have a hard time on this planet. Plug any guitar into a strobe tuner and check every fret. I guarantee it won't be perfect.

Personally, I'm not concerned with perfection. I only care if the instrument is musical. Is the instrument usable? Can I convey emotion with it? Does it inspire me? For me the answer is yes. Without a doubt!

I have an old Harmony guitar that is a bear to play. All bets are off if you want to play a chord above the 7-8 th fret. Far from perfect but musical as hell!

If you spent time with an Antares ATG-1 you might change your mind.

That's Autotune, it would be pretty dumb if one of the top leaders in pitch shifting technology could not produce a superb pitch shifter for their modeling guitar.

The only REAL problem with the JTV's alt tuning is the warble. Other than that, the whole crosstalk thing has absolutely nothing to do of the quality of the alternate tunings, and is a limitation from piezos and physics.

The Variax alternate tuning, disregarding ATG, is better than stomp box pitchers I've heard, because of one big thing: Natural tonality/formant/timbre preserve.

I've said it multiple times. It's not completely perfect, but it's there, and it helps tighten up most of the low tunings, and makes most of the higher tunings not nasally.

I've got a morpheus droptune which was supposed to be a famous pitch shifter, and yet the Variax pulls of a more convincingly natural sounding pitch shift, because it has formant preserve, though to an extent.

I tried the Standard (Yamaha guitar).  When I felt the metal fret ends as I moved my hand up and down the neck, I put it back on the wall hanger.  I hope the JTVs are better.

My Korean JTV69 doesn't have that. Build quality is very good.

The only REAL problem with the JTV's alt tuning is the warble. 

Yep! 

And if I alter my picking attack, the warble is undetectable. 

Sometimes I can picture people sitting in their bedroom with their Variax in hand cycling through the models and alt tuning while playing open triads in the most non musical way and listening very carefully to detect why the Variax is a flawed piece of equipment. Listening very carefully at the HD or Helix tube screamer in a complete non musical vacuum and determining that the Helix Tube screamer sucks cause it don't sound like THIS tube screamer that I own. "This Variax Tele doesn't sound like MY Tele!" they will proclaim. 

I don't worry about what they call the models, I try to create what I hear in my head. I adjusted how I approach playing my Variax with the Variax in mind, not with a Tele in mind. When I'm in alt tuning, my attack is different, what I play is different because how the Variax responds to that input is different.

I go back to a point that I truly believe. I learned this from my Jr High school music teacher. "Anyone can play a fast scale, making that scale musical is a whole different story!"

I need tools to help me create music. To create a vibe an emotion through music. I have found the Variax to be a very usable and musical guitar.

Warble, cross talk, warts and all!

But that's just me.

Clay-man - "Really??? When did 1 person's post become a huge determining factor of what holds back the Variax?" 

Clay-man, what are you referring to when you say "1 person's post"? The last time I looked, these forums are for everybody to share their ideas. I don't believe anyone in this conversation is trying to say they have the only correct position here. I have gained much insight from all the input. I came into this with no preconceived judgements, just questions about the reliability of things I have read. If anything, I was hoping to be persuaded into liking this guitar.

I purchased the Variax specifically for the alt tuning. If perfection is the benchmark, then you are going to have a hard time on this planet. Plug any guitar into a strobe tuner and check every fret. I guarantee it won't be perfect.

Personally, I'm not concerned with perfection. I only care if the instrument is musical. Is the instrument usable? Can I convey emotion with it? Does it inspire me? For me the answer is yes. Without a doubt!

I have an old Harmony guitar that is a bear to play. All bets are off if you want to play a chord above the 7-8 th fret. Far from perfect but musical as hell!

I'm not talking about perfection but having a second (unwanted) note playing through is not musical. The question here is whether the variax can play the alternate tuning that has been dial in. I'm sure everyone here can present an example of a guitar that is not "perfect" but great music can be drawn from it but I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't even try if that given guitar played a G with an A. I am getting the picture that the crosstalk can be managed if you play with the right technique. Could turn out to be an excellent workout for your playing abilities and satisfying if you manage it.

.... and I have a feeling that they did, and feel that it works just fine in most circumstances........

Is it perfect? No. Does that make it unusable? No.

Thank you silverhead for that response. Sometimes the precise answer doesn't get it. You can research and come up with all the negatives you want but in the end it's the intangibles that give you the answer.

It's a good buy, provided that you get one that works. The modeling is quite good for the most part. I love the fact that I can get convincing acoustic tones with a solid body electric...I can't play actual acoustics to save my life. It's worth the price of admission just to get single coil tones without the 60 cycle hum. When you're using the modeling, theses guitars are utterly silent. It's priceless for recording.

Maybe I have been misunderstanding the problem -  Are you saying that the acoustic modeling (or other electric modeling) crosstalk is only an issue in the alternate tunings mode? I have heard sooooo many versions of the problem. I would think the sensors would crosstalk in any mode if they do it in one mode.

I'm not talking about perfection but having a second (unwanted) note playing through is not musical. The question here is whether the variax can play the alternate tuning that has been dial in. I'm sure everyone here can present an example of a guitar that is not "perfect" but great music can be drawn from it but I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't even try if that given guitar played a G with an A. I am getting the picture that the crosstalk can be managed if you play with the right technique. Could turn out to be an excellent workout for your playing abilities and satisfying if you manage it.

That makes sense! I haven't experienced "cross talk" with my Variax. The first time I heard about it was from you. I can see how that would be horrible. Just out curiosity, what kind of music do you play? Funk, metal, rock, R&B? And more importantly, what kind of guitarist are you? Are you a Simon and Garfunkle guitarist or a Steve Vai? Clean tones or dirty tones? Are you a Virtuoso style player out front (Bonamassa, Robben Ford, etc) or are you a rhythm guy?

What are you doing specifically when the crosstalk is the worst and what are you doing specifically when the cross talk is not as discernible?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it is fascinating the 2 totally different experiences you and I are having with the Variax. I would love to be able to pin point it better.

Maybe I have been misunderstanding the problem - Are you saying that the acoustic modeling (or other electric modeling) crosstalk is only an issue in the alternate tunings mode? I have heard sooooo many versions of the problem. I would think the sensors would crosstalk in any mode if they do it in one mode.

Yes, crosstalk will always exist to some degree. It's virtually impossible to physically isolate each piezo element completely. Lots of things vibrate, those vibrations radiate all over the place, and the saddles all butt up against each other.

But take the Drop D tuning for example...if the low E saddle picks up vibrations from the A string, that pitch gets detuned two semi-tones...so you'll be hearing the natural pitch through the A string piezo, and the detuned pitch from the adjacent saddle...the result is mud.

In standard tuning, or an alt tuning where each string it being detuned by the same interval, it's less of an issue because even if the low E piezo "hears" the A string when you're palm-muting, both saddles will be producing the same pitch, so who cares? There's no dissonance.

So yes, crosstalk really becomes a problem with CERTAIN alt tunings, and certain playing techniques...if you can avoid resting your hand on that low E when palm-muting, the problem largely disappears. Easier said than done however, unless you're a contortionist.

TW: "... maybe they will resurrect the JTV as some have alluded to"---

Not gone yet. There's a run of 2016's out there.

Regarding buying,... I play it. If I like it, that's the one I buy,... not the one fresh out

of the box from the back, but the one I'm playing that I like.

After all is said and done - that's really the only way to buy. Thanks for the comment. TW

================================================= 

I don't know if it's the only way to buy, but it's how I've done it, and been satisfied.

None of my guitars were brand new when I got them,... including the four JTV's I have.

I played them, spent time with them, got to know the in's and out's before I got them.

Never had a problem with any of them.

But then, I've been repairing, rebuilding and maintaining guitars since I was fourteen.

Studied music, electronics, physics and acoustics,... so it comes natural to me.

Tboneous - That makes sense! I haven't experienced "cross talk" with my Variax. The first time I heard about it was from you.

You misunderstand me Tboneous. Apparently you aren't the only one here that thinks I am attacking this guitar. I'm not trying to TELL anyone I have any of these problems. I am here asking questions to determine if this guitar is for me. That is why this topic interested me. I am hopeful that the JTV will continue to be manufactured and improved.  I have filtered through many topics on this guitar and seen various problems described, particularly the one continuing theme about the "crosstalk" issue. There continues to be some very reasonable posts here that are clearing the waters for me. This subject goes round and round with in some cases differing answers. My conclusion so far is that the problem is there and surfaces in varying degrees depending on the alternate tuning used and the technique applied to it. I still haven't determine if the problem varies from guitar to guitar. If it is the "Standard" that is to represent this line of guitars I may go for the ONS or used. I might be successful buying a used JTV if I am careful to check for the problems unique to this guitar (I won't rehash said problems here).

Played my new toy loud first time (used but probably never carried around China Variax 600 (no rust, no quirks, no pot crackles).

It was absolutely fun to play in every way and it opened my eyes on tonal possibilities when playing different types of guitar and/or PU.

So far I was playing just PRS-style guitars, all with active EMG81 to go into one tonal direction and preventing major changes when switching from my (real) custom-made to my backup.

But as far as this concept needed for gigging works pretty fine, I was limited a lot, already by the EMG81s.

Today I spent an hour on the guitars modeled in the Variax but spent many more on the amp-sims in my POD HD than ever before. It is really amazing how even the outdated 600 let the amp sims come to live and offer tonal differences and "live" I love never had noticed they are in there. Only scratched on the surface I am totally blown away by the possibilities.

And by the way ... I read a lot about problems palm muting; no problem here. I just had to reposition my regular palm position a few inch away from the bridge and there it goes chugging. And even this was done in seconds just by a natural trial-and-error behavior I did not even notice by myself.

So, if you ask me if the Variax-Series should be continued. Yes it should definitely!

To be honest I didn't heard about that stuff before I purchased my HD500x and my band mates didn't too.

A few people I know have heard about the concept but not one proved it by himself. And I am really sure, if I will present my damn ol Variax to these guys a minimum of 50 % will go and get one within one year.

It is more a matter of a theoretically unsexy concept of performing some "synth" stuff on a holy wooden grail called guitar.

Line6 should pay some guys to carry their Variax to open stages and jam sessions and I am sure they would flood the semi-professional market within years. I am definitely buying another one if my gets lost or stolen!

My conclusion so far is that the problem is there and surfaces in varying degrees depending on the alternate tuning used and the technique applied to it.

Bingo.

I still haven't determine if the problem varies from guitar to guitar. If it is the "Standard" that is to represent this line of guitars I may go for the ONS or used.

Jury is out on that one for me too. I've played exactly one JTV. It's easier to find a pearl in a pig's ear than a store that stocks them. However, from the experimenting/troubleshooting I've done on the Drop D issue...the most convincing part was turning the A string's volume completely off in Workbench and still hearing palm-muted notes on that string sounding a whole tone lower...I have no reason to suspect another unit would behave differently. The issue is mechanical, the result of being in direct contact with both strings whilst palm-muting, vibrations propagating all over the place. Arguing with physics is usually fruitless...might as well try to disprove gravity.

I don't know if it's the only way to buy, but it's how I've done it, and been satisfied.

None of my guitars were brand new when I got them,... including the four JTV's I have.

I played them, spent time with them, got to know the in's and out's before I got them.

Never had a problem with any of them.

But then, I've been repairing, rebuilding and maintaining guitars since I was fourteen.

Studied music, electronics, physics and acoustics,... so it comes natural to me.

Thanks psarkissian - there have been several responses here that have helped me considerably. I have continued posting on this thread looking for simple, non-ego, non-ethereal related comments. I figured if I kept digging more responses would come out of the woodwork. I don't have your resume and need to hear from those who do. I don't mean to appear negative but I have had my share of bad experiences listening to the hype from the manufacturers and sales people. I decided some time ago to get as much info as possible before making decisions about gear that is new to me. Sitting down in a guitar shop and trying to go through all the capabilities of this guitar will be a pleasure at this point. Negativity isn't always a bad thing - now I know what to look for.

"So yes, crosstalk really becomes a problem with CERTAIN alt tunings, and certain playing techniques...if you can avoid resting your hand on that low E when palm-muting, the problem largely disappears. Easier said than done however, unless you're a contortionist."

Thanks cruisinon2, your responses continue to cut straight through to the answer. I have to believe you reasoned this one out to the correct description. If I do end up purchasing a used model I will make sure it is understood that it will get scrutinized thoroughly and will be returned if not found to be satisfactory. I suspect that somebody selling one is getting rid of one with issues - not in every case though. I still think there are reputable people out there.

"So yes, crosstalk really becomes a problem with CERTAIN alt tunings, and certain playing techniques...if you can avoid resting your hand on that low E when palm-muting, the problem largely disappears. Easier said than done however, unless you're a contortionist."

Thanks cruisinon2, your responses continue to cut straight through to the answer. I have to believe you reasoned this one out to the correct description. If I do end up purchasing a used model I will make sure it is understood that it will get scrutinized thoroughly and will be returned if not found to be satisfactory. I suspect that somebody selling one is getting rid of one with issues - not in every case though. I still think there are reputable people out there.

Most other issues you hear about are cheap plastic knobs that don't work (modeling won't engage, etc), shoddy fretwork, or the occasional failed firmware update that results in a "bricked" guitar...though that seems rare. I kept mine because I feel the alt tuning issue(s) are more a limitation of the technology than anything that can blamed on a defective unit. I seriously doubt Drop D would work any better for me on any of the other JTVs out there.

Tboneous - That makes sense! I haven't experienced "cross talk" with my Variax. The first time I heard about it was from you.

You misunderstand me Tboneous. Apparently you aren't the only one here that thinks I am attacking this guitar. I'm not trying to TELL anyone I have any of these problems. I am here asking questions to determine if this guitar is for me. That is why this topic interested me. I am hopeful that the JTV will continue to be manufactured and improved.  I have filtered through many topics on this guitar and seen various problems described, particularly the one continuing theme about the "crosstalk" issue. There continues to be some very reasonable posts here that are clearing the waters for me. This subject goes round and round with in some cases differing answers. My conclusion so far is that the problem is there and surfaces in varying degrees depending on the alternate tuning used and the technique applied to it. I still haven't determine if the problem varies from guitar to guitar. If it is the "Standard" that is to represent this line of guitars I may go for the ONS or used. I might be successful buying a used JTV if I am careful to check for the problems unique to this guitar (I won't rehash said problems here).

Uh....I never said anything about you attacking anything. I did think you owned a Variax though. Thanx for the clarification.

I still would be interested in the answers to the questions I posed. I wonder if there is any common denominator that we can explore.

Uh....I never said anything about you attacking anything. I did think you owned a Variax though. Thanx for the clarification.

I still would be interested in the answers to the questions I posed. I wonder if there is any common denominator that we can explore.

Hi Tboneous - no offense intended. There have been several references to this issue of crosstalk through out this thread. I don't want to rehash them at this point but if you start at the beginning you will read other comments about it. I have done multiple searches on the subject - "problems with the JTV variax" - and the crosstalk issue comes up many times. I found it confusing to say the least. There have been a couple posts here that have been more precise.

Sorry I neglected to answer your question about styles. I am not a pro, I have more than a beginners understanding of music theory, I have dabbled in guitar construction/repair enough to be dangerous (one of my best friends here is a certified Fender repairman and owns/operates a guitar shop), my shotgun approach to learning (bluegrass, country, rockabilly, blues) has prevented me from becoming proficient at any of them and I own (try to play) Uke, banjo, dobro, electric guitar (six and bass), lap steel, pedal steel guitar and a keyboard (due to my days as a kid learning on an upright).

I am enjoying the interaction on this site. Thanks to everyone.

I must be lucky... I've not had any issues with drop D, or drop Db on my 59 or 69S. Have both set up in patches in my 500, 500X, and Helix.

Dave

I'd be willing to bet that yours does it too...it all depends on what you're playing and how you play it. Play any riff with moderate to high gain and lots of palm-muted notes, but only on the A string...keep the low E muted. Single note lines and/or 5th string root bar chords...doesn't matter. Listen close, and toggle back and forth between drop D and standard tuning, just chugging on the open A string (muting the 6th string) and I'll bet you hear it. You won't notice it if your chugging along on the E string itself, as that will drown out any crosstalk from the A string. Certain tunes, it's OK. Others are a muddled disaster.

If you happen to be a King's X fan (as any guitar player should ;) ), tunes like "It's Love" and "Lost In Germany" are showcases for this problem. Main riffs in both tunes have open A string palm-muted pedal tones throughout. Other times in Drop D, if you're living primarily on the low E string, you won't notice a thing. It's only when the low E string is muted, and all the busy-work is happening on the 5th string.

I may be wrong but I do not believe that any Variax was ever made in China. (Thank the lord!)

I hear there was one early production run, but it turns out that lead frets aren't such a swell idea, and the pesticide they used to lubricate the nut slots was giving people asthma attacks...;)

Tomwhitworth- No offense taken my man!

I took an hour and played with my Variax to see if I could hear "crosstalk" with no luck. I played solo on a clean patch through my Amplifi and headphones. I played the same thing in all of the dropped tunings. The only one that got weird was the Baritone tuning. I didn't get cross talk but I did get some warble.

I then pulled up some backing tracks and played along I used lead tones and clean tones, through all the models and tunings that were appropriate. No crosstalk. None at all.

What I didn't do was this...

"Play any riff with moderate to high gain and lots of palm-muted notes, but only on the A string...keep the low E muted. Single note lines and/or 5th string root bar chords...doesn't matter. Listen close, and toggle back and forth between drop D and standard tuning, just chugging on the open A string (muting the 6th string)"- cruisinon2

(No offense cruisinon2! I know exactly where you were coming from. I got it!)

I use a quote from my man "C" because I know he can take it and to illustrate the non musical way I spoke of prior that I believe some of us test the Variax with. We bang on one string until we hear clearly the thing that some are talking about. I'm sure if I cranked up the gain and palm muted and banged on one string for an hour, I'd hear it too. But I don't play guitar like that. Ever! I don't play music like that. Ever! When I play my Variax in the context of creating music, it sounds wonderful.

I have always had this hypothesis. I think it is the hi gain guitarists that experience the most unpleasant issues with the Variax. I have minimal proof of this based on what I read on this forum. I'd be curious to find out.

But if I have to turn up the gain, palm mute and chug on the A string in drop D to experience this problem, then my minimal proof has increased by 1 post.

Thanx C!

Hee-hee!

Smashcraaft,... China Variax 600???

You sure it's China? The one we use for testing, in our

repair lab, says Korea.

post-2321913-0-20260800-1468305771_thumb.jpg

It's from China. SN was recognized by your system.
But it must be a time-traveler, because beside some old strings I can not find any sign of usage.

Maybe the chinese copy-cats work with some delay?  :ph34r:

I hear there was one early production run, but it turns out that lead frets aren't such a swell idea, and the pesticide they used to lubricate the nut slots was giving people asthma attacks... ;)

post-2321913-0-52205100-1468316681_thumb.jpg

How can one find out if the frets are made of lead? Are there f.e. any magnetic options for testing?

IMG_2772.jpg

How can one find out if the frets are made of lead? Are there f.e. any magnetic options for testing?

Wow....OK, see the little winking smiley face means "I'm kidding". But just for the sake of completeness, if you've ever seen raw lead, it's an INCREDIBLY soft metal. You can scratch it with a fingernail. As fret material, you'd be lucky if they lasted through a single song...that's what makes it a joke.

So for the record, no lead frets and no pesticide nut lubricant.

I now return everyone to your regularly scheduled wild speculation...where's my aspirin?😩

Wow....OK, see the little winking smiley face means "I'm kidding". But just for the sake of completeness, if you've ever seen raw lead, it's an INCREDIBLY soft metal. You can scratch it with a fingernail. As fret material, you'd be lucky if they lasted through a single song...that's what makes it a joke.

So for the record, no lead frets and no pesticide nut lubricant.

I now return everyone to your regularly scheduled wild speculation...where's my aspirin?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I use a quote from my man "C" because I know he can take it and to illustrate the non musical way I spoke of prior that I believe some of us test the Variax with. We bang on one string until we hear clearly the thing that some are talking about. I'm sure if I cranked up the gain and palm muted and banged on one string for an hour, I'd hear it too. But I don't play guitar like that. Ever! I don't play music like that. Ever!

First of all, I didn't suggest that this exercise was "musical", and for the record, I don't sit around "banging" on a single note for hours at a time to test the instrument, nor did I discover the problem that way. But if you need to feel more "musical", fine. You win.

I have no need, nor enough free time to go looking for barely detectable problems. This artifact was clearly present while playing "actual music" from day one, making its use rather limited. Thus, I did some troubleshooting in an attempt to diagnose the problem. My suggestion was merely an easy way to demonstrate it. Try it out, or don't. Either way, I'll sleep just fine tonight. And if mine is defective, so be it. I'm long out of warranty at this point, and have little faith in "authorized service centers", so it is what it is.

Okay guys! My last question, due to my lack of experimentation with Strat style guitars: does the HSS set of mag pickups make it difficult to get all of the "genuine Strat Squawk" that comes from the SSS set of mag pickups? There seems to be quite a few of the HSS models available.

Okay guys! My last question, due to my lack of experimentation with Strat style guitars: does the HSS set of mag pickups make it difficult to get all of the "genuine Strat Squawk" that comes from the SSS set of mag pickups? There seems to be quite a few of the HSS models available.

Well, with HSS you'll miss the lone bridge single coil, and bridge/middle combo...but you can get those tones from the models.

As the whole gestalt with these guitars is versatility, I went with the HSS specifically to have the humbucker option. If I want SSS mag pickups, I have 4 "real" Strats to choose from. But I also happen to think that the mag pickups sound pretty good...if the modeling suddenly takes a dump on stage, I've still got a prefectly functional guitar with enough tonal options to get through the night.

Well, with HSS you'll miss the lone bridge single coil, and bridge/middle combo...but you can get those tones from the models.

As the whole gestalt with these guitars is versatility, I went with the HSS specifically to have the humbucker option. If I want SSS mag pickups, I have 4 "real" Strats to choose from. But I also happen to think that the mag pickups sound pretty good...if the modeling suddenly takes a dump in stage, I've got a prefectly functional guitar to get through the night.

Part of the interest in this guitar for me is the fact that I don't already own a Strat (2 Tele's and I love them). All the more reason to own a JTV 69 as a stand alone Strat. After all the discussion about these guitars I couldn't remember if the mag humbuckers can be split.

First of all, I didn't suggest that this exercise was "musical", and for the record, I don't sit around "banging" on a single note for hours at a time to test the instrument, nor did I discover the problem that way. But if you need to feel more "musical", fine. You win.

I have no need, nor enough free time to go looking for barely detectable problems. This artifact was clearly present while playing "actual music" from day one, making its use rather limited. Thus, I did some troubleshooting in an attempt to diagnose the problem. My suggestion was merely an easy way to demonstrate it. Try it out, or don't. Either way, I'll sleep just fine tonight. And if mine is defective, so be it. I'm long out of warranty at this point, and have little faith in "authorized service centers", so it is what it is.

Did you miss this part of my post?...

"(No offense cruisinon2! I know exactly where you were coming from. I got it!)"

Or...

"I use a quote from my man "C" because I know he can take it"

I guess I was wrong.

I knew you didn't bang on a string for an hour.

I knew you didn't think the excersize was musical

I knew you didn't discover this issue in this manner.

I knew you don't spend a lot of time looking for Variax flaws

I knew exactly that you were contributing to the discussion in the helpful manner that you always do.

Which is why I included "(No offense cruisinon2! I know exactly where you were coming from. I got it!)"

So cool your jets mister! ;0D

Obviously, I failed to communicate that I think that too many people have a tendency to do do what I described earlier. Not YOU personally, not everyone, but too many. I am probably wrong about that. It's just a gut feeling based on very minimal evidence.

I'm no more musical than anyone else on this forum and it's not a competition. I was trying to contribute just like you. Forgive my ineloquence. You win.

To come full circle....The Variax is a great guitar and concept. I find it to be a usable and musical (clearly important to me) guitar. It's not perfect. I hope that Line 6 will continue to explore ways to make it better. To scrap it would be a shame.

Smashcraaft,... sure it's a 600? We have a 500 Electric here in the lab that was made in China.

Not sure which batch, it was before my time here. Interesting. Most of it has Korea or Indonesia on it.

Frets,... standard issue Silver-Nickel.

Rock-n-roll!

Smashcraaft,... sure it's a 600? We have a 500 Electric here in the lab that was made in China.

Not sure which batch, it was before my time here. Interesting. Most of it has Korea or Indonesia on it.

Frets,... standard issue Silver-Nickel.

Rock-n-roll!

Registered Products says: Variax 600 White / sn 21V6W125070804440

This guitar is build excellent. I am really impressed about the quality.

Are you able you get information on the amount of instruments build in China?

I hear there was one early production run, but it turns out that lead frets aren't such a swell idea, and the pesticide they used to lubricate the nut slots was giving people asthma attacks... ;)

That's a good one - I don't think China produces anything that is completely void of some lead product! (they still might try it)