Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fractal AX8 vs. Helix STEEL CAGE MATCH! We declare a winner.

PeterHamm

OK...

So... we had our Fractal vs. Line 6 summit here in the Cinci suburbs...

2 Helices, 1 AX8, and myself, my buddies Geoff and Mark and Rick came and Glenn DuLaune was... sorta... (via some of his patches)...

Do we have a winner? Yes. We do.

How do you find out who it is?

Here's how.

Go to the nearest bathroom, above the sink there is a device that will reveal the winner of this contest... It's called a mirror.

Seriously, guys... What a great time to be alive and a guitar-slinging musicians.

Sorry, no video, but much camaraderie and good time had by all.

We all win.

• Upvote 6

I haven't tried the Ax8, but I sure have to agree that the potential of modeling has reached a "singularity" that offers so many possibilities for us that we can do anything. I remember in the '80s reading about Erik Johnson's multi amp rigs and thinking it was a fantastic idea, but not workable for me and most other players (I needed cartage just to move my rack of Boogies and fx). Ha! Now I have so much more than that. On my gigs I use 7 amps! (I've only had helix a couple months and first priority was perfecting a wide range of tones for the tunes I play.) I haven't even approached a half dozen other amps I will probably add to my arsenal. And the beauty part is that they ALL sound so good! Coupled with my super strat with EMGs, I can play just about anything except trad jazz and pure acoustic, but if I bring my semihollow and my acoustic (only 3 guitars), I can cover damn near anything and I don't need cartage!

• Upvote 1

Well, we discovered, honestly (I think...) that anybody who thinks there are huge differences between these boxes is either justifying their choice by poo-poo-ing the other guy, a mindless fan boi, or has some other kind of confirmation bias going on.

They both sound so awesome.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Having owned Axe FX Ultra, Axe FX II XL+, Kemper Rack and lunch box, AX8, and Helix (have another KPA again and kept Helix), I can say that at this level, it all boils down to a few comfort features and slight personal preference, too. Agree 100% pertaining to any hatefests from any camp.

I'm a fanboy of none, but a fanboy of all! I just happened to like the Helix as my primary and Kemper as my secondary. If you can't get great tone out of all of today's modelers, you might need to get serious professional help! LoL!

I've owned some really nice (and some really crappy) equipment in my 48 years. What I play through now is as good or better than any tone toys and amps I've ever used.

We're all winners!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well ... that was a let down.  You made it sound like Godzilla vs King Kong.  Bait and switch!

I was hoping to hear about spitting high tension wires being pulled down.  Or at least a bus being picked up and thrown back down.  :)

realism vs hyper-realism:

I mean Helix vs real-deal...

guys, I don't understand... if you wanna sound real, then Helix, Kemper and Fractal ARE NOT your choices; go for real

let's say for instance only a microphone price is about 100 bucks... then how can you just imagine a modeler from any brand or trademark may sound as a real divice

there are tons of algorythmic elements out of reach!!!

but if you want to sound re-mastered, hyper-real, incredibly solid, and be self -confident your sound is NOT gonna depend on a bunch of erratic elements such as valve tubes and lots of patches between stomp-boxes and many expensive electric devices, so to say, go for modelers

but...

what you can get from ANY divice such as GT 10, GT 100, korg, Line6, Kemper, Fractal, etc... it may be the same inspiring as a twin reverb black face...

It's all about the music

so, you'd better train yourself in music

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't have an AX8 so I can't weigh in on that debate but I can share an observation of comparing the Helix to my old MFX. I had an outdoor gig yesterday and decided to bring an old Mesa Boogie amp and my old MFX board instead of the Helix. I did not know what the soundman or the sound system would be like or if it would rain and I decided to wing it with some equipment I do not usually use in tandem. All I can say is I sure missed the dependable and quality sounds of my Helix. The whole day was a crap shoot with some guitar tones being so much less than ideal that they actually impacted the quality of my playing. The gig went well but I was never truly satisfied with my tone. There is a lot to be said of the predictability of my usual Helix direct to mixer and/or FRFR. I gotta say, I am getting spoiled on the sounds I am consistently getting out of my Helix live. I still love Mesa amps and my old MFX is not a bad board but it does not compare with what I can rely on getting every gig out of the Helix. I would have been better off just playing the Helix, or even my old analog pedal board through my Mesa. The Helix has ruined me for lesser MFX, I just can't groove on their tone any more, lesson learned. The Helix RAWKS!

realism vs hyper-realism:

I mean Helix vs real-deal...

guys, I don't understand... if you wanna sound real, then Helix, Kemper and Fractal ARE NOT your choices; go for real

Copypasta from an earlier thread:

When someone unfavorably compares modelers to the tube-amp-in-a-room experience without providing both their monitoring rig/environment and expectations, I just assume they'd also be the type to say:

"When I crank a 24-bit/192kHz recording of my girlfriend's voice through my $49 desktop speakers with 4" woofers in my cement block basement, it sounds nothing like when she's actually whispering in my ear at the park. Digital recording sucks!"

With an identical playback system, current modeling algorithms have already been proven to fool golden-ear session guys and engineers in double-blind A/B/X listening tests. So why is this sentiment still so strong?

I see four possible reasons for claiming modeling doesn't sound "real":

1. The person is hearing said modeling out of context—for example, comparing the experience of a PA speaker, FRFR speaker, studio monitors, or headphones with that of a roaring 4x12 pointing at the back of their knees. Hence, the playback system is the bottleneck, not the modeler. SOLUTION: Use the modeler in context; that is, a preamp model into your real power amp and cab—or—learn how to compensate for how your particular playback system affects your tone.
  2. The person hasn't played the real amps and/or effects that have been modeled, and therefore has no reference for comparison. SOLUTION: Compare the actual amp and/or pedal in context, preferably in a double-blind A/B/X listening test.
  3. The person hasn't actually used a modeler, or hasn't used one in many years, and is just joining the "modelers suck" bandwagon. SOLUTION: Try one of today's top modelers IN PROPER CONTEXT (see #1).
  4. The person has fine-tuned ears, and is legitimately hearing very minor discrepancies and artifacts between the model and a recording of that particular amp, cab, mic, and mic distance combination. SOLUTION: Cool! Keep tweaking while we strive to make modeling even better.
Most people who question or discredit modeling mistakenly believe they're in the #4 camp.
  • Upvote 6

I had purchased both the AX8 and Helix.  I demoed them both and they both are equally great sounding units.   I am returning the AX8 because of the user interface and no expression pedal.  The Helix interface, numerous I/O's and expression pedal makes the Helix a better bang for buck for my needs.

DI, I've noticed how well my Helix seems to fit in the mix with both the band and the church praise team band. Kemper does this as well, but I'm only toting one device around for church since I go direct and use monitors/in-ears there versus FRFR with the band.

I actually like my presets better with the bands live than I do just playing around at the house... And I really like how it sounds just jamming by myself at the house via FRFR.

I get compliments on my tone from other guitarists and musicians. That is a huge barometer for me.

• Upvote 1

It's all about the music

so, you'd better train yourself in music

That is what I read the OP saying.  Being an old guy I have performed, recorded, and attended many a jam session for many years and have to agree on both counts. .  It is about the music AND it is about training. 

But ... and there is a but ... I am just happy that real nerdy engineer type musicians have been able to provide such a wide array of tools for us tone freaks.  I have amplifiers that date back to the late 1960's and on up to the 1990's as well as instruments.  I couldn't afford new back then so I bought via the used and even pawn shop scene when one could purchase a beat up Strat or Paul for about $150 and hopefully afford a set of strings once you got down to 4 or 3 [OK sometimes 2] while wood-shedding to improve our chops. :rolleyes: I also had become a tube sniffer and realized I was so wrapped up in the tubes I forgot about the music.

My point; I have been A/B'ing my old old amps with the Helix with the aide of sound engineers and for me the sound of the Helix is as good as my ears' ability to match my legacy tone.  Thanks to everyone in this forum I have learned about speaker frequency, how to max out the Digital Signal Path, how to choose an IR to smooth out the digitized sound, and how to make some strange sounds that go outside the boarders of reality [Hendrix would have loved this time].  All in all it is really fun. 

For the past several months since I purchased the Helix the other guitarist and his friends have been saying how much better his [not saying what type] modeler is.  And it is good for about $300.00 used with some "just out of the box" settings you can tweak; plus he has a real good ear being a guitarist/sound engineer.  However, for the past two weeks after living, sleeping, eating, and [bleeping] the Helix his friends are starting to talk Helix desire; to which I say that any modeler can become the right choice based upon the whole package.  I just happen to have purchased a Helix and really like what I have.  And the other guitarist is admitting the darn thing must be broken in 'cause it sounds great.  The other side of the coin is he is starting to see how to add more than just reverb and echo to his sound. :blink:

But back to the very beginning point ... we are a family of musicians and it is about having fun, sharing chops, helping out, and realizing that music will always be a growth process.  It is a GREAT time to be alive in the music world! :D

Dennis

• Upvote 1

OK...

So... we had our Fractal vs. Line 6 summit here in the Cinci suburbs...

2 Helices, 1 AX8, and myself, my buddies Geoff and Mark and Rick came and Glenn DuLaune was... sorta... (via some of his patches)...

Do we have a winner? Yes. We do.

How do you find out who it is?

Here's how.

Go to the nearest bathroom, above the sink there is a device that will reveal the winner of this contest... It's called a mirror.

Seriously, guys... What a great time to be alive and a guitar-slinging musicians.

Sorry, no video, but much camaraderie and good time had by all.

We all win.

Peter,

Thanks for keeping the "muse" [note: one definition is "source of inspiration"] in music going strong.  Ah, the joy of being a family of musicians and friends who get what the real meaning of music is!!  Wonderful read and it is a most excellent time to be alive in the music world!

Dennis

"When I crank a 24-bit/192kHz recording of my girlfriend's voice through my $49 desktop speakers with 4" woofers in my cement block basement, it sounds nothing like when she's actually whispering in my ear at the park. Digital recording sucks!"

LOL Di, maybe its the park acoustics....  :P

back the days when I had only a bunch of PODxts I remember a particular gig I set up for my band using only PODxts thru a PA and a very powerful speaker set...

that modest gig was a SOLD OUT evening

the people who could bot get into the bar that night stayed out and close to the place since it was totally possible to hear our music cuz it was really loud

lots of them told me how great and even better than real amps those PODxts sounded that night

I remember I left someone else to played my gear that same night, and I placed myself near the audience and I just could hear those tube "feeling" tones from a modest modeling Line6 pedalboard; nuthing but ONLY a POD xt

I'm not presuming, but the music itself was very cool those days, even the atmosphere of the band's stage presence was awesome... and also the gear was a very important ingredient of the whole scenario

from ultra clean chorused-delayed-compressed tones to ultra high gain smashing all over the place braking everyone's spines

and LIVE show, which I consider the best music ever

nowadays I'm a nerdy-musician obsessed with the tone so I am a digital/real-deal mixer

my filosophy is: if it sounds good to your music, then just play it

I went to a music academy to train myself in music, composition, and arrangements for 10 years

so it's about the music, then the tone

I remember a Guitar magazine in the 90's an article of Joe Perry having a new signature guitar:

GW: hey Joey, how do you feel about your new guitar?

JP: first, I write the song, the I decide what instrument suits best... probably I will use it in a new song; so it's not the guitar, it's the song that matters

I never forgot this article

thanx for reading and for your kind replies

Well, we discovered, honestly (I think...) that anybody who thinks there are huge differences between these boxes is either justifying their choice by poo-poo-ing the other guy, a mindless fan boi, or has some other kind of confirmation bias going on.

I have a friend with an AX8 and we've compared them a couple of times.  We came to the same conclusion.  If you can't find good tone out of both of these boxes, it's not the equipment's fault :)

• Upvote 2

I agree Peter. I actually own both now. There are pluses and minuses to both but when taken as a whole you can't go wrong with either. The Helix is my main unit because I find it so much easier to adjust on the fly. I am still learning the AX but it reminds me more of the HD series with Pod. By this I mean you have to work through layers on a small screen to make adjustments. But I like the AX edit better than the Helix software. I wish AX supported wav IRs but I own Redwirez so I got both formats with the Bigbox (I wanted a few Ownhammer but no idea how to convert). Helx is more flexible for rig setups for sure. AX8 has no headphone jack. At first that miffed me but after seeing so many people complain that their patch sounded great in headphones but not live I understand leaving it out. It still amazes me people think setting it to a 1 to 2 inch driver should sound the same as a stack of 12s amazes me. Lol. It is actually sort of amazing they get close at times.

The one area AX8 may have Helix is in amp adjustability. I know people are going to get upset by this comment. The Helix amps sound fantastic and some have just the knobs the amp would while others have tons of tweaking. But every amp has layers of changes that you can do on the AX8. And the one area I like about the amp interface is all the amp knobs in the unit. You really have to play and look at the AX8 to understand what I mean, but to give you an idea you can experiment with different preamp tubes on some of the AX models

DI and other members of the forum have been incredibly gracious in these debates regarding which is better, the Helix or the AX8.  There are clearly legitimate arguments to be made supporting either unit and I hope these two companies continue to compete and learn from each other to the benefit of every guitarist who supports them. But... I have to say, with the addition of snapshots to the Helix, and as the model and effect library steadily if slowly grows, in my mind, given all of the additional features that the Helix came out of the gate with, the Helix is quite simply the greatest modeler on the market now for the gigging musician.

The list of features and flexibility is just mega-impressive - scribble strips, LED rings, incredible array of I/O options, best user interface ever developed for an MFX, cap-sensitive footswitches, mic input and multiple output paths via USB or standard I/O, headphone jack, large colored main screen, snapshots, and the list just goes on. I know there are still things to work on but let me say what the Line6 staff has been too polite, respectful, and legitimately admiring of the competition to state, the Helix is quickly rising to the top of the MFX heap. In fact, I think it is already there! In my mind the Helix is the clear pioneer, and modeler to emulate. I don't think there needs to be a winner per se, and I respect everybody's choice as to what works best for them, however, every day I use the Helix not only makes playing guitar rewarding and inspiring but also reinforces my conviction that this is currently the best modeler you can purchase. The Helix is in my opinion the best thing since sex and peanut butter (not necessarily combined)!

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Hey guys, 

This topic intrigued the heck out of me since I now own both units. I will declare a winner, but before I spit my opinion on this topic, let me just say that both units are awesome and sound incredible. Everyone is a winner as this really boils down to what are you willing to put up with in the situation you use it for. 

My opinion: 

I am a gigging musician in an original metal band called Niviane out of Sacramento CA. and I play live currently on most weekends. I have owned the POD HD500X, Helix and Fractal AX8, currently having the Helix and AX8 in my possession. My current gear is a Line 6 HElix, Fractal AX8, Matrix GT1000FX poweramp and (2) Matrix FR12P cabs with Ibanez Prestige guitars and DiMarzio DActivator/Air Norton pickups.

Going from the POD HD500X to the Helix was a relatively easy transition for me, but the Helix is not a POD unit. Within 20 minutes of opening the box and setting the Helix up, I had already created a patch. The Helix was so very simple to use and navigate right from the unit itself. Within one hour of fiddling around with the Helix, I had created a set of 4 presets that eventually I dialed into what would be the tone I used for live performances. Like any other Helix user, I spent my off time tweaking my tones to create the "holy grail" of sound. Tweaking the Helix, again was a very simple task whether you were using the Helix editor or changing presets on the fly directly from the unit. Every time I gigged with the Helix, I would get nothing but compliments on my tone. Extremely easy to set and breakdown, the Helix was exactly what I was looking for when it came to "ease of use".

But, being the "tone lollipop" that I am, I was intrigued by the Fractal AX8 and decided to pull the trigger and purchase one. Once i had it in my hot little hands, I could not wait to get it home and hook it up. Now, I had watched videos constantly on you tube and was told that if you were a first time fractal user, there would be a learning curve. 

I got it home, hooked it up and it did not matter how many videos I watched, the learning curve was real! It took me one hour alone just to get a tone set-up. Once I got the tone set up, I was able to create 4 presets. Now, I am ready to test this thing out. Once I started to play at a stage volume level, the first thing I noticed was the lag/latency when switching presets. This problem alone set me back two days just trying to figure out how to make it go away. Talking with people on the forums was a help, but the most common answer I got was to use scenes or learn to deal with it. I was ready to return it back to Fractal and buy another Helix! But everyday, someone would give me a new tip and I would get closer to obtaining what I wanted, but the lag/latency between presets was still bothering me. 

I had never used the snapshots option with the Helix, but I figured I would give the scenes a shot with the AX8. What I found out with scenes is that there is more learning to the already large learning curve I had encountered. There are a couple of YouTube videos that were instrumental in learning about scene modifiers and without those videos, I probably would have gotten rid of the unit. But once I learned about scene modifiers, manipulating the scenes became easier and the lag/latency issue had disappeared. I finally felt like I was getting somewhere with this unit. So, I created a bank of scenes and realized the only thing I could not modify......was the different output levels per scene. I watched a video that showed output levels being modified through the main output block, going into the scenes option and raising the level of your output accordingly. Again, I thought that I had found the magic elixir for the AX8....that was until I turned the volume up to stage level and experienced a loud "inrush" of volume that was maybe a 1/4 of a second long, but extremely noticeable when changing scenes. When I leveled the scenes outputs back to zero, the "inrush" of volume went away when changing scenes. 

So, I ended up going back to presets with the AX8 and I did dial in a killer tone. I did use the AX8 at my last show in Reno NV and I had to deal with the lag/latency of changing presets. I did find that it wasn't too hard to anticipate going into a solo or going back into my clean preset, but to me, I just shouldn't have to do this. At $1,350.00 with tax brand new, I would expect a better piece of equipment. 

Your opinion of this unit may differ from mine and thats ok. I did not write this post to argue with how someone else views this unit, I wrote it to let other people know of my experience with it and being this is the Line 6 forum, also let you know how much easier I think the Helix is than the Fractal AX8. I also would like to share my review based on my experience with both units.

Ease of use: Obviously this goes to the Helix. After owning the AX8 for a month, I still find it difficult to modify without my laptop present.

Tone: This is going to go the AX8 on a very slight edge. As easy as it is for me to find a tone with the Helix, it sounds more "processed" or "digital" to me than the AX8. The AX8 has a very warm tone that really gives it the feel of a tube amp. I am sure that I could manipulate the Helix to do the same if I take more time with it. 

Functionality: With functionality, I mean switching presets, making the unit work they way you want it to. I give this to the Helix. I had absolutely no lag/latency issues, I could modify on the fly, I could use/modify with or without the editor. The Helix has a nice, big easy to read screen and its very easy to see the adjustments you are making. The Helix can also be used as an interface with my recording software (Sonar Platinum) where the AX8 cannot. Both units are built like a tank though and can take a beating. 

My choice is the Helix. I don't understand why Fractal made a unit that sounds so good, so difficult to use and with (in my opinion) so many imperfections. If they could perform an update to remove the latency issues, make adjusting and or creating presets easier and give it the ability to be used as a recording interface, my opinion of this unit would certainly change.

Again, my review/ experience is not to sway anyone nor is it to badmouth any unit. It is simply my experience with both units and I wanted to share that. I hope that someone finds it useful.  

• 3 months later...

Just to share my experience..

I got an AX8 and a Helix LT last weekend and I couldn't keep both of them.

So I had to decide which one goes...

And it was pretty easy to choose one stays.

Helix Lt still has that 'Line 6 signature fizziness' which bothers me a lot.

I think I can tweak knobs to remove it but that's not the point. (It should sound right out of the box.)

I'll get it one day as a backup maybe?

(It should sound right out of the box.)

Nothing does. Ever. I've owned lt all at one point or another, and I'm still waiting for that mythical modeler that tweaks itself in the box while I'm on my way home from the store. Hasn't happened yet...and it won't, at least not in this life.

Just to share my experience..

I got an AX8 and a Helix LT last weekend and I couldn't keep both of them.

So I had to decide which one goes...

And it was pretty easy to choose one stays.

Helix Lt still has that 'Line 6 signature fizziness' which bothers me a lot.

I think I can tweak knobs to remove it but that's not the point. (It should sound right out of the box.)

I'll get it one day as a backup maybe?

I see some customers still have that "signature laziness" where they buy an incredibly powerful signal processor that can load tons of IRs, adjust with near endless surgical EQ and tweak mic types and distance from the speaker....but expect it to magically match the sound in their head with no adjustment. In fact, they consider "having to use" any of these powerful capabilities they paid for as a bad thing....

Really? I bought a nice 4k TV for my bedroom not long ago. When I plugged it up, it had that "signature appliance store showroom" look to the image. I guess I could've sulked because it wasn't what I wanted "out of the box", but then I remembered I paid for significant tweaking abilities too! 10 minutes later, I calibrated it properly and now it's great.

Sheesh...

• Upvote 1

Really? I bought a nice 4k TV for my bedroom not long ago. When I plugged it up, it had that "signature appliance store showroom" look to the image. I guess I could've sulked because it wasn't what I wanted "out of the box", but then I remembered I paid for significant tweaking abilities too! 10 minutes later, I calibrated it properly and now it's great.

Sheesh...

Most people don't even notice, though...

hee hee...

observation: Interestingly, predominantly in fractal forums folks praise how much better axfx sounds compared to helix, but on helix forums folks say they're both great :-)

Cults are like that...line up for your track suit and bowl haircut...eyes front, no talking! Nibiru is coming on Saturday...;)

• Upvote 1

Well ... that was a let down.  You made it sound like Godzilla vs King Kong.  Bait and switch!

I was hoping to hear about spitting high tension wires being pulled down.  Or at least a bus being picked up and thrown back down.   :)

It is EXACTLY like Godzilla vs King Kong (or actually King Kong vs Godzilla). In their monumental battle they both fall down a mountain, entagled in combat and fall into the sea. After a moment or two, the winner comes popping up out of the sea. Who pops up? Who was the winner? Well, it depends on where you saw it. In the US, King Kong won. In Japan, Godzilla pops up (wins). So, as in this little modeler battle, who won depends on your perspective. Ultimately, they both won!! ;) And yes, I know...I pass the geek test. (sigh)

• Upvote 1

It is EXACTLY like Godzilla vs King Kong (or actually King Kong vs Godzilla). In their monumental battle they both fall down a mountain, entagled in combat and fall into the sea. After a moment or two, the winner comes popping up out of the sea. Who pops up? Who was the winner? Well, it depends on where you saw it. In the US, King Kong won. In Japan, Godzilla pops up (wins). So, as in this little modeler battle, who won depends on your perspective. Ultimately, they both won!! ;) And yes, I know...I pass the geek test. (sigh)

I have to say that is a rather apt comparison. It made me chuckle a bit.

observation: Interestingly, predominantly in fractal forums folks praise how much better axfx sounds compared to helix, but on helix forums folks say they're both great :-)

Even the Line 6 guy who did the "Tone Made Pro" class I attended, was complimentary towards Fractal gear when asked about it during the Q&A after the event...

I see some customers still have that "signature laziness" where they buy an incredibly powerful signal processor that can load tons of IRs, adjust with near endless surgical EQ and tweak mic types and distance from the speaker....but expect it to magically match the sound in their head with no adjustment. In fact, they consider "having to use" any of these powerful capabilities they paid for as a bad thing....

Sheesh...

Even though I'm a L6 fan boy (let's see what I've got since 2000... AX2, POD 2.0, POD XT Live, POD X3, POD HD300, Pocket Pod, POD HD, Vetta II combo, HD147 head, Spider II 30, G50, G30, G10, Firehawk FX, Amplifi 150, Amplifi TT, etc...) I'm very sure that most of forum users agree with that AX8 has deeper edit capability than any other gears on the current market.

That's why I chose the AX8 and yeah, I'm that kind of lazy! LOL!

I have to let it go this time becuase of not having enough cash flow this month but I'll get a Helix on Thanksgiving or X-mas for sure! 

Nothing does. Ever. I've owned lt all at one point or another, and I'm still waiting for that mythical modeler that tweaks itself in the box while I'm on my way home from the store. Hasn't happened yet...and it won't, at least not in this life.

You're absolutely right!

But AX8 needs less effort for me to get the sound that I want than Helix.

How about that?

Well, you're just weird then.

;) Just kidding.  That's cool.  Glad you're happy. :)

I mean that AX8 has a slightly better platform (or presets?) to begin with...

And I have no doubt that both are great gears.

Actually, even though I decided my mind, I had a dream that I was giging with a Helix last night...LOL!

I totally agree . Both are incredible. I just sold my AX8 but not because its inferior. I need the large display (poor vision) and things change so often at church that I need the ease of editing on the fly. Plus USB recording. There were pluses to the AX8 (like superior reverb) but all in all it was pretty even.